Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'll add you to the long list ;)

1 hour ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Noticed faz said “hopefully more to come” with that you’d assume more of the squad may sign up. Who’s all under contract now for next season 

Brett (another two seasons I think), Durnan, Crighton, Young, Carlo, Ryan Blair and Div Wilson are all under contract for next season. Ross MacLean too, but I'd imagine he'll move on in the summer.

54 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Brett (another two seasons I think), Durnan, Crighton, Young, Carlo, Ryan Blair and Div Wilson are all under contract for next season. Ross MacLean too, but I'd imagine he'll move on in the summer.

Offering Blair and Wilson a 2 year deal is outrageous behaviour from Farrell. The only ones I’d be keen to see handed a deal at this stage are probably Orsi, Ruth and Gray and I’d be shocked if any of them committed to a new deal this early. I fully expect Gray and Ruth to move up a level. Outwith that Tony Wallace is worth a punt but has anyone else really earned a new deal? Guys like Hilton and Malcolm certainly haven’t IMHO.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Offering Blair and Wilson a 2 year deal is outrageous behaviour from Farrell. The only ones I’d be keen to see handed a deal at this stage are probably Orsi, Ruth and Gray and I’d be shocked if any of them committed to a new deal this early. I fully expect Gray and Ruth to move up a level. Outwith that Tony Wallace is worth a punt but has anyone else really earned a new deal? Guys like Hilton and Malcolm certainly haven’t IMHO.

No, as has been pointed out a dozen times the outrageous behaviour was extending a manager's contract when it was already clear that the wheels were coming off.  Add that to the failures that went before and it makes even less sense.

Keeping a core squad together in advance is a policy I'm happy with in general terms. The old days of everyone on a season long contract and 20 new players each summer always struck me as amateurish. So I can see the sense in aiming for continuity rather than yearly rebuilding, but that only makes sense on paper. In reality, until a manager who can get the team prepared for pressure games is appointed it won't be effective. We saw in the first half of last season the kind of form that champions need; grinding out wins consistently even on days when the team were having an off day, the weather or pitch was poor and the opposition were stuffy. But the absurd collapse in form from December onwards last term, and the similarly insipid performances and form this season show that the management of the team has run it's course. All managers have a shelf life at clubs, and when it's not happening for them anymore it's very obvious and impossible to ignore.

On individual players, I'd personally not be keen to keep David Wilson, Callum Wilson or any of the guys who are out on loan. Farrell generally has a good track record in recruitment and there are some handy players at the club who I'm otherwise happy to see continue here, but I think a change in leadership will be needed to get a tune out of them.

Agree that the way we did it before having no one signed in mid June made start of season a farce but my only concern is current squad just about good enough for second div.

if we gave any ambition of going up and staying up we will absolutely need a stronger squad and certainly signing the crocks is a nice gesture but not necessarily the correct one 

id be getting Tony Wallace added to begin with 

Farrell has been repeatedly keeping the core of a squad together with early contract renewals throughout his tenure and that has often involved dishing out deals to players who simply aren’t deserving of them. The results have been consistent failure. I’m completely aware that the main issue here is the man himself but he just never seems to learn from his mistakes. There have been numerous guys in recent seasons who I wanted to leave but they were retained on daft 2 year deals far too early. 

Of the ones he’s retained from this season’s squad I still think he has jumped the gun. Durnan has missed a huge chunk of the season and has been plagued with injuries throughout his career. Young is probably worth a punt but who knows how he’ll be after his injury. Crichton has been OK but I’m not sure I’d be flinging him a deal at this stage. I’ll await to see who signs up next but there aren’t a great deal of that squad I’d want tied down this early, they simply haven’t done enough to earn it and the main red flag from all of this is that our utterly clueless chairman is clearly happy to for a failure of a manager build for next season.

10 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

No, as has been pointed out a dozen times the outrageous behaviour was extending a manager's contract when it was already clear that the wheels were coming off.  Add that to the failures that went before and it makes even less sense.

I don’t think anyone would argue that extending the managers contract was bonker but I’d expect nothing less from our board. It was the easy option.

Regardless, his decision to offer 2 year deals to guys like Ross MacLean, David Wilson and Ryan Blair is bonkers.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's also been suggested that Buchanan wanted 2 years and we only offered 1, which makes some of the other 2 year deals even funnier. 

Stenhousemuir played a blinder there, getting Buchanan, a very good centre half at League 2 level.

Farrell takes Crichton & Durnan, a guy plagued with injuries.

Folks,

I'll be in Bar72 from around 2pm onwards tomorrow and after the game for 30mins or so if anyone wants to catch up or chat through anything.

Been catching up with the wider Trust this week and hopefully the board/Owners officially in the coming weeks. Most of my knowledge is "fan based" vs "Director" but would be good to hear good/bad etc points from people.

46 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Folks,

I'll be in Bar72 from around 2pm onwards tomorrow and after the game for 30mins or so if anyone wants to catch up or chat through anything.

Been catching up with the wider Trust this week and hopefully the board/Owners officially in the coming weeks. Most of my knowledge is "fan based" vs "Director" but would be good to hear good/bad etc points from people.

Suspect you'll be getting heavy pressure on you not to post on P&B anymore, mate. For all MacKay/Cognitive's apologies about a lack of communication with the fans, I'm sure they'd absolutely hate you engaging with us, especially on here. I've no doubt that's what happened with Paul McPherson. Stay strong, the fans are all behind you.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Folks,

I trust that in gratitude for all of our votes, you'll be putting a few quid behind the bar.

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Stenhousemuir played a blinder there, getting Buchanan, a very good centre half at League 2 level.

Farrell takes Crichton & Durnan, a guy plagued with injuries.

Stenny played a blinder in replacing Swift with Naismith.  Peterhead replaced their manager, ditto Clyde and East Fife.  Only at Dumbarton is continued mediocrity rewarded.  It stinks.

15 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Stenny played a blinder in replacing Swift with Naismith.  Peterhead replaced their manager, ditto Clyde and East Fife.  Only at Dumbarton is continued mediocrity rewarded.  It stinks.

It certainly does stink.

Could it be descibed as "managed decline"

36 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Stenny played a blinder in replacing Swift with Naismith. 

And Naysmith was available towards the end of our relegation season (after being harshly sacked when sitting 4th in L2 by the team that would relegate us), where with 6-8 games left of the season, it was obvious to all that SF was taking us down. I remember thinking at the time that I'd have been happy with that swap. Not saying it would've worked out, but just interesting to think of what could've been if we had a proactive board.

This was the day I knew for sure Farrell would take us down, and for me is when he should've gone. I know some folk will say it was clear earlier, like the tanking at Peterhead, but this defeat to an awful East Fife side was when I truly lost faith in him. His post-match interview was a broken man, who basically admitted he didn't know how to fix our defensive problems. Amusingly, Ryan Blair and Ryan Wallace played for East Fife this day. We had 7 games left after this. This was make or break time. Now look where we are almost 2 years on.

Edited by FifeSons