Sons' sorrow

That's potentially outstanding business that. Not only does it give us options on the left side, but it also gives us some cover (proven to be capable) for CB, we have all been looking for.

If he can regain last season's form, this will be another huge signing for us.

Is he likely to have requested a clause in his contract about going full time..? 😶 Perhaps that's why he's chosen to sign with us as apparently it was a big part of why he signed last season.

8 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Is he likely to have requested a clause in his contract about going full time..? 😶 Perhaps that's why he's chosen to sign with us as apparently it was a big part of why he signed last season.

Would make sense if he did.

13 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I would doubt it this time round. Shiels was a late addition last year and we probably didn't have a lot of budget left (if I recall it was Paul McPhersons investment that paid for him), so lower terms with the promise that we wouldn't stop him earning more elsewhere. We don't have the same budgetary restriction here, he's probably been offered a good deal by our standards and I would hope all parties have the intention of seeing the contract through.

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Out of interest does anyone know if Young is likely to be fit for the start of the season? I know Long has been out during the warm up recently so he definitely can’t be far away.

Young was also out doing some sprints at the Spartans home game.

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Out of interest does anyone know if Young is likely to be fit for the start of the season? I know Long has been out during the warm up recently so he definitely can’t be far away.

A month or so back he himself was hopeful of making the squads for the play offs. I’d assume he’ll be sound & will be involved in the pre season games.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I would doubt it this time round. Shiels was a late addition last year and we probably didn't have a lot of budget left (if I recall it was Paul McPhersons investment that paid for him), so lower terms with the promise that we wouldn't stop him earning more elsewhere. We don't have the same budgetary restriction here, he's probably been offered a good deal by our standards and I would hope all parties have the intention of seeing the contract through.

That would be my take on it too, but anyway I'm delighted to see him back - well done the negotiating team !!

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

On 27/05/2024 at 13:06, Jan Vojáček said:

Matty Shiels plz :wub:

Thank you Dumbarton FC

Matty Shiels and Michael Ruth as the first two players to sign contracts for the new season. What a buzz. Two absolutely terrific players, and guys who are good characters to have about the place.

I said numerous times last season that I thought Shiels was probably our best player in the first-half of the campaign, and I'm delighted/staggered that we've managed to get him back. He was superb at left-back, but the fact he can also do a turn as a winger, a wing-back or a centre-back is absolutely invaluable. 

League One is a big step up. But we're doing it with with the best goalkeeper in League Two. The best centre-half. The best right-back. The best striker. And now the best left-back.  That's an exceptionally good place to be.

(and I know Stenny fans will disagree, but I wouldn't swap Carlo for Meechan, Durnan for Bucky, Shiels for Bilham or Ruth for Aitken. There's nothing between Long and Jamieson imo. Both far too good for L2).

4 hours ago, super-son said:

How has Faz managed that then, considering the rumoured offer he was getting from Clyde!

Would you want to sign for a manager who shites in people's shoes in the dressing room?

I wouldn't.

Shiels being back is great news just as he seemed very adept wherever we ended up using him, when I seen he was away from Cove I thought we would be in with a shout. Money talks but so does silver tongued Faz

43 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Ohhhh Matty Shiels

He loves the sons

He turned down a jobby and Clyde went off their nuts

He plays everwhere there is no ifs and buts 

Ohhhh Matty Shiels

Get an early finish today, Snudge?