Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Whether he was happy or not is a different question but he played 30 odd games for us that season and was one of the top performers. I don't think there was any questions of his attitude either, perhaps he wasn't impressed with his team mates or the management and felt a move back to Montrose was best.

What you said... That's what I was trying to say 😂 Maybe I need a Highlands escape to recharge my batteries... 

Cammy "F" Ballantyne was, on the whole, deeply underwhelming throughout his spell at Clyde last season. He arrived with a big reputation after a protracted chase by McCall, both of which were justified given his strong loan spells with Montrose in League One in recent years. Generally, McCall deployed him as the advanced central midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 and he wasn't great, nor was he when given the opportunity to play deeper. He struck me as a bit of a fair-weather player and his standout quality was his work rate, much of that probably attributable to still training full-time with St. Johnstone. Seldom did he really take a game by the scruff of the neck as we probably expected of him, and all too often he made pretty simple errors in possession that largely prevented him from doing so. 

There's clearly a player somewhere in there and Dumbarton could do much worse, but I wouldn't regard it as a signing to be excited about and am not sure how well he'd adapt to playing part time and predominantly on that pitch. It's hard to foresee a midfield unit comprising he and Dumbarton's existing options having much balance about it, but maybe Faz has a up trick his sleeve that'll help thwart a hat-trick of L1 relegations.

Tl;dr - the jury is out!

30 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

What you said... That's what I was trying to say 😂 Maybe I need a Highlands escape to recharge my batteries... 

You can't charge batteries in the Highlands. 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Cammy "F" Ballantyne was, on the whole, deeply underwhelming throughout his spell at Clyde last season. He arrived with a big reputation after a protracted chase by McCall, both of which were justified given his strong loan spells with Montrose in League One in recent years. Generally, McCall deployed him as the advanced central midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 and he wasn't great, nor was he when given the opportunity to play deeper. He struck me as a bit of a fair-weather player and his standout quality was his work rate, much of that probably attributable to still training full-time with St. Johnstone. Seldom did he really take a game by the scruff of the neck as we probably expected of him, and all too often he made pretty simple errors in possession that largely prevented him from doing so. 

There's clearly a player somewhere in there and Dumbarton could do much worse, but I wouldn't regard it as a signing to be excited about and am not sure how well he'd adapt to playing part time and predominantly on that pitch. It's hard to foresee a midfield unit comprising he and Dumbarton's existing options having much balance about it, but maybe Faz has a up trick his sleeve that'll help thwart a hat-trick of L1 relegations.

Tl;dr - the jury is out!

So im confused...did the 2 cammy ballantynes play for st johnstone?I seem to remember the guy with us 10 years ago was a st johnstone player but loaned out to montrose then us.Now the guy with you was also at ST Jonstone?

Edited by lorenzo71

56 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

My powerpoint presentation shows we have a lower budget than anyone in WOSL1, so you can forget about either Cammy Ballantyne.

I agree with your earlier comments re SF and his wonderful use of spin.I wasnt at the meeting therefore do not have any authority to contest what was shown/said.However knowing SF there will be a good bit of spin on that.We have had some good extra cash from cup ties vs PL opposition and that cash doesnt get factored into pre-season budgets AFAIK.Apparently budgets are based on expected ST sales andd about 100 paying customers thru the gate plus the very minimum prize money from the 3 cups plus sfl money for the previous seasons finish.

If this is BS dont blame me im basing this on Craig Leveins experience at Cowden a number of years back.Thats how most PT clubs worked their pre-season budget apparently.

22 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

So im confused...did the 2 cammy ballantynes play for st johnstone?I seem to remember the guy with us 10 years ago was a st johnstone player but loaned out to montrose then us.Now the guy with you was also at ST Jonstone?

I think the one that was with us was a Dundee Utd player when he was loaned to Montrose.

23 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

The Cammy Ballantyne who was with us in 2018/19 was signed permanently from Dundee United after a couple of loan spells at Montrose. He went back to Montrose on a permanent deal, then Airdrie where I think he’s even captained them a few times.

Cammy F Ballantyne is a St Johnstone youth graduate who has had about 4 loan spells at Montrose. And spent the back end of last season on loan at Clyde. He’s a centre mid. And is the guy we are being linked with here.

12 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I’m still jealous Arbroath got SeaGall. Where’s Dumbarton’s Brooks Mileson to bring him and DT23 back to the rock?!

I was a big fan of Calum although some of our fans werent.He and DT in the 3 nil win vs East Fife at the rock were outstanding.

Would be good to have them back before they get too old.

Was anything said at the Meet the Manager re:

- The state of the pitch and ongoing groundshare with Broomhill.
- Changing from grass to astro.
- Fixing the pitch dimensions and moving the lines out.

57 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Was anything said at the Meet the Manager re:

- The state of the pitch and ongoing groundshare with Broomhill.
- Changing from grass to astro.
- Fixing the pitch dimensions and moving the lines out.

He didn't come straight out with it but it was clear he's far from happy about the state of the pitch. Although he prefers to play on grass, he understands the need to go to astro. No mention of Broomhill or the pitch dimensions.

I'm glad there now seems to be a bit of unity developing between the fans, management and players at the club. Faz obviously wanted to get some info out there to inform the fans and I think when you give fans a realistic perspective they are generally receptive to that. If I was Neil MacKay right now I would be thinking this is the moment for me to do the same. Everyone's on a high, everyone feeling good about the football and perhaps fans who are currently not happy with the board could be turned, or even some fans who are on the edge of the support can be tempted deeper into club. A Meet the Chairman (or Meet the Board) event, where he can set out his own perspective for the club, perhaps explain why some of the decisions about our pitch and commercial activities have happened and perhaps, god forbid, we might actually get everybody at the club pushing in the one direction for once. I can see that Cameron is putting a lot of work in and making himself visible but if we want to move the club forward the board as a collective need to be far more transparent. 

Just now, Frank Quitely said:

There's more chance of Neil Rankine singing a duet with Taylor Swift.

That may be the case but he won't have a better time than now to try and repair the damage done. 

22 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Falkirk friendly announced...29th june 2pm at the rock.

Decent friendly but dont we have them in the Stirlingshire this year?

Faz said on Saturday that we're likely to play a mix of u-20's and first teamers needing game time in the Stirlingshire cup.

I don't think playing a friendly in June is going to affect a meaningless cup tie.

24 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Falkirk friendly announced...29th june 2pm at the rock.

Decent friendly but dont we have them in the Stirlingshire this year?

Will we need temporary stands?