Sons' sorrow

13 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Wondering when @Jan Vojáček will update us with the names of the trialists today……

I don't think I recognise any of them I'm afraid. 

Good run out that though. Not a bad watch. Mikey Miller and Sena both really looked the part. Delighted to see Greig Young back on the pitch too.

I’m informed that the trialists were apparently Nathan Brown (local lad, ex Airdrie), Michael Mullin and Dom Kavanagh. All 3 are youngsters so I’m not sure if they are just making up the numbers at this stage. 

edited to add: the lad Brown scored in the closed doors game during the week AFAIK.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I enjoyed that today. For 60 minutes or so it was a pretty competitive, well-contested game - but the barrowload of subs took the flow out of us, and by the end Falkirk were clearly the stronger side. But you'd expect that with the players they were able to bring off the bench. Guys like Aidan Nesbitt, Ethan Ross and Jordan Allan would all stroll into our (or basically any other) League One starting lineup.

It was strange going into a pre-season where we only had three new faces (well four, Matty Shiels, but he was there last season). But I think that helped us. There wasn't the usual weird disjointed pre-season stuff, and we played some nice football - the second goal in particular was a great move.

It was nice to have Brett back between the sticks; he made a couple of excellent saves in the first-half and saved a weak Calumn Morrison penalty. He's just so reassuring back there. You don't even have to give him a second thought, and that's exactly what you want in a keeper. He maybe could've saved the Calvin Miller's goal (a low strike from the edge of the box that he got a touch on) but given it's his second outing in seven months I don't have any complaints.

Fair play to Paddy O'Neil too. That's the first time I've seen him play for us, and he made a few really good stops. 

Our lack of a left-back with Clark on holiday, Shiels on the bench and Young not fit enough for more than 10 minutes was a bit of an issue. But Ryan Blair hopefully won't have to play there again for us. That aside I thought there were good performances across the park. Mikey Miller was excellent at centre-half; I wondered if a season in the Lowland League might've damaged him a bit, but it didn't look to have had an impact. He did all the basics well and was very vocal, organising folk. Took the armband when Durnan was hooked too - so it's nice to have another leader in the side.

Finlay Gray showed he can mix it with some very good players and was sharp, and Kalvin Orsi was flying on the left. That's the first time I've seen him start a game there and his play for the second goal was as good as anything we've ever seen from him.

Hilton very easily could've had a perfect first-half hat-trick (but for an excellent Nicky Hogarth save) and looked good until he tired.

But big Sena was my man of the match. The balance between him, Jinky and Gray was - on first viewing - pretty much spot on. I lost count of the amount of times he seemed to appear from nowhere to intercept the ball, and he charged into a few magnificent tackles. He covered overloads down the wings well and just looked like someone who was really enjoying himself. It's one game, but he reminded me of Kevin Nicol in that he'd do the ugly side. Then play a simple pass to someone like Hilton, Gray or Carlo and get us playing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Lastly it was great to see Greig Young back kicking a ball after such a horrible time. I spoke to him afterwards (Lennox in a few weeks) and he genuinely couldn't stop smiling. The relief and just genuine happiness was terrific to see. It'll take him time to get back to full match sharpness I've no doubt (and build his confidence) but it was lovely to see him. A cracking wee guy who deserves to have a good season.

Today was a glorified training session. It means absolutely nothing and, on another day, Falkirk should've scored a few more. But for a first outing of the season, against an excellent side who strolled League One last season, I think there was plenty for us to be upbeat about. Especially given we've still got about five weeks until the important stuff starts.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

15 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I enjoyed that today. For 60 minutes or so it was a pretty competitive, well-contested game - but the barrowload of subs took the flow out of us, and by the end Falkirk were clearly the stronger side. But you'd expect that with the players they were able to bring off the bench. Guys like Aidan Nesbitt, Ethan Ross and Jordan Allan would all stroll into our (or basically any other) League One starting lineup.

It was strange going into a pre-season where we only had two new faces (well three, Matty Shiels, but he was there last season) starting. But I think that helped us. There wasn't the usual weird disjointed pre-season stuff, and we played some nice football - the second goal in particular was a great move.

It was nice to have Brett back between the sticks; he made a couple of excellent saves in the first-half and saved a weak Calumn Morrison penalty. He's just so reassuring back there. You don't even have to give him a second thought, and that's exactly what you want in a keeper. He maybe could've saved the Calvin Miller's goal (a low strike from the edge of the box that he got a touch on) but given it's his second outing in seven months I don't have any complaints.

Fair play to Paddy O'Neil too. That's the first time I've seen him play for us, and he made a few really good stops. 

Our lack of a left-back with Clark on holiday, Shiels on the bench and Young not fit enough for more than 10 minutes was a bit of an issue. But Ryan Blair hopefully won't have to play there again for us. That aside I thought there were good performances across the park. Mikey Miller was excellent at centre-half; I wondered if a season in the Lowland League might've damaged him a bit, but it didn't look to have had an impact. He did all the basics well and was very vocal, organising folk. Took the armband when Durnan was hooked too - so it's nice to have another leader in the side.

Finlay Gray showed he can mix it with some very good players and was sharp, and Kalvin Orsi was flying on the left. That's the first time I've seen him start a game there and his play for the second goal was as good as anything we've ever seen from him.

Hilton very easily could've had a perfect first-half hat-trick (but for an excellent Nicky Hogarth save) and looked good until he tired.

But big Sena was my man of the match. The balance between him, Jinky and Gray was - on first viewing - pretty much spot on. I lost count of the amount of times he seemed to appear from nowhere to intercept the ball, and he charged into a few magnificent tackles. He covered overloads down the wings well and just looked like someone who was really enjoying himself. It's one game, but he reminded me of Kevin Nicol in that he'd do the ugly side. Then play a simple pass to someone like Hilton, Gray or Carlo and get us playing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Lastly it was great to see Greig Young back kicking a ball after such a horrible time. I spoke to him afterwards (Lennox in a few weeks) and he genuinely couldn't stop smiling. The relief and just genuine happiness was terrific to see. It'll take him time to get back to full match sharpness I've no doubt (and build his confidence) but it was lovely to see him. A cracking wee guy who deserves to have a good season.

Today was a glorified training session. It means absolutely nothing and, on another day, Falkirk should've scored a few more. But for a first outing of the season, against an excellent side who strolled League One last season, I think there was plenty for us to be upbeat about. Especially given we've still got about five weeks until the important stuff starts.

Thanks for the report Jan.Did any of the trialists stand out in anyway(i know they were only on for about 20 mins) or was it a case of making up numbers?

7 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Thanks for the report Jan.Did any of the trialists stand out in anyway(i know they were only on for about 20 mins) or was it a case of making up numbers?

To be honest, they probably touched the ball about 10 times between them. One was left-wing and looked very young and nervous. The guy in centre-mid charged about a fair bit but without much of an impact. And it's already a position where we're overloaded. The guy up top had absolutely nothing to work with apart from some long balls, so it was really impossible to say if he was up to anything.

I'd imagine we'll see more of them down at Glenafton to give them a better chance to show what they can do.

Franko saying we have 2 more bodies to come in, which you've got to think will be centre back and striker. I thought every player looked in good shape yesterday too, nobody carrying any holiday weight and everybody was sharp. 

On another note, John McGlynn says our pitch is a couple of weeks away from being good... :lol:

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Franko saying we have 2 more bodies to come in, which you've got to think will be centre back and striker. I thought every player looked in good shape yesterday too, nobody carrying any holiday weight and everybody was sharp. 

On another note, John McGlynn says our pitch is a couple of weeks away from being good... :lol:

I also note with interest McGlynn's comment that the pitch was "tight". Leading me to assume that the width remains cannibalised.

13 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I also note with interest McGlynn's comment that the pitch was "tight". Leading me to assume that the width remains cannibalised.

Aye it's still the same tight pitch. This is Aron Lynas 3rd year so maybe we'll get 3rd time lucky and turn into Tony Pulis' Stoke from throw ins. 

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Aye it's still the same tight pitch. This is Aron Lynas 3rd year so maybe we'll get 3rd time lucky and turn into Tony Pulis' Stoke from throw ins. 

If it's good enough for Engerland...