Sons' sorrow

39 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Saying he pulled up so I'm hoping he's just felt something and we're taking no chances. I think he'll be a really good option for us this year. 

Fingers crossed. Doesn't look like we missed him much, 6-1. 12 goals in three pre-season games is terrific stuff. Glad to see Ruth getting a couple to get up and running for the year.

As an aside. I missed our win at TNS because of a significant birthday for my mum. And I've missed a 6-1 win in Newcastle because of a significant birthday for my dad.

They need to stop coinciding milestone occasions with terrific away days.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Fingers crossed. Doesn't look like we missed him much, 6-1. 12 goals in three pre-season games is terrific stuff. Glad to see Ruth getting a couple to get up and running for the year.

As an aside. I missed our win at TNS because of a significant birthday for my mum. And I've missed a 6-1 win in Newcastle because of a significant birthday for my dad.

They need to stop coinciding milestone occasions with terrific away days.

Oswestry was the best away day.  Ever.

And Happy birthday to Gordon !

Aye, I'm never one to take friendlies too seriously or get carried away. That being said, it's nice to see the guys "hit the ground running" and scoring a few goals too. Hopefully this will help (particularly the attacking players) continue that into the competitive stuff.

I do think it makes a world of difference having mostly the same team and a bit of consistency in the squad, as opposed to scrambling around and creating a team from scratch and expecting them to be up to speed after a few weeks together.

Posted (edited)

Did we not hump this Hebburn mob last season with guys like MacLean scoring? It doesn't appear they're of a very good standard. Can't read anything into these games. 

Edited by The Moonster

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Didn't we lose to them at home ?

4 minutes ago, super-son said:

They beat us 3-2 last season at the rock.

:lol:

Well in that case, we're going to win the league.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Did we not hump this Hebburn mob last season with guys like MacLean scoring? It doesn't appear they're of a very good standard. Can't read anything into these games. 

You've just reminded me of the fact we managed to get any kind of fee for MacLean to leave us 😂 but aye, you can't take too much from them. Although, if we had lost 6-1 then we would maybe be a bit concerned about certain aspects too... 

Apart from the rain, it was a great day out and good result to go with it.

Great setup they have down there. Some things we could def steal.

Some good passages of play and some well taken goals. 

Enjoy the night for all that are staying down.

2 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Coasters are always easy to get into a pocket. They'll never know

What exactly is the Macron cup anyway and how have we won it by playing 1 preseason friendly?

I thought it was just a friendly match that was organised and didn’t realise there was a trophy involved.

1 hour ago, super-son said:

What exactly is the Macron cup anyway and how have we won it by playing 1 preseason friendly?

I thought it was just a friendly match that was organised and didn’t realise there was a trophy involved.

It was on the match preview but I've only noticed it since I went back to check it. There seems to be a macron challenge cup for the north west counties league but no idea what this is really. 

Regardless, I'm assuming it's bigger than winning the Champions League

9 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Anyone who was there able to say who partnered Durnan at CB? 

What’s everyone’s preferred lineup for next Saturday then? 

I wasn't there, but I'd assume it was Mikey Miller? He's played there in the last two games and looked the part.

Durnan is suspended next week, so it'll be interesting to see who partners Miller. I'd imagine it'll be Cammy Clark with Shiels at LB, but you could easily switch those two round.

15 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Saveloy Dips at the Dumbarton food stalls?

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Durnan is suspended next week, so it'll be interesting to see who partners Miller. I'd imagine it'll be Cammy Clark with Shiels at LB, but you could easily switch those two round.

Seeing that written down really highlights how crucial it is we get a centre back in. Even when we do get one in I’m seriously not a fan of the backup options. Chucking full backs, wingers and defensive midfielders in there as cover is daft and cost us a title challenge last year. It reeks of Farrell not learning from his mistakes, dedicated centre back cover should have been signed over one of our 100 central midfield options or 3 left back options.

36 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Seeing that written down really highlights how crucial it is we get a centre back in. Even when we do get one in I’m seriously not a fan of the backup options. Chucking full backs, wingers and defensive midfielders in there as cover is daft and cost us a title challenge last year. It reeks of Farrell not learning from his mistakes, dedicated centre back cover should have been signed over one of our 100 central midfield options or 3 left back options.

Faz did say we’d be replacing Crighton, I’d image that’s on hold while he’s on holiday - unless his holiday is actually a secret scouting mission and he’s bringing back some big handsome Rolls Royce Italian defender with him.

13 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Faz did say we’d be replacing Crighton, I’d image that’s on hold while he’s on holiday - unless his holiday is actually a secret scouting mission and he’s bringing back some big handsome Rolls Royce Italian defender with him.

Oh aye, we’ll 100% replace Crighton, but even after we do our backup option when Durnan inevitably has a spell on the sidelines will be a square peg in a round hole. The best option will most likely be Shiels but that will involve weakening us in another area of the pitch. Instead of signing Cammy Clarke for example I’d much rather we had signed a dedicated centre back.