Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Have we got a camera now or have we nicked Berwick’s highlights?

#parasitefc

Was trying to figure that out. Was Saturday vs Alloa a one off missed game? I know it was reported that we were short of bodies to run the stream etc. But is pixellot the kind of system that could be set up and left to record, at least to be used for the highlights?

4 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

Fair enough on some points - for example the team only came out for the warm up at 7:30 so some mitigating circumstances for sure.

Considering those circumstances, how Scobbie decided to set up (and not really change) is even more alarming. Far too easy for Dumbarton and could have been double figures as others have said

Looked rough around the edges - especially regarding decision making - but put himself about and proved a handful for the opposition centrebacks. Link up play was quite good and would have resulted in a couple of decent chances had Orsi's decision making been better. Had a couple of decent chances - but both under pressure so would like to see them again before passing judgement. All in all would like to see him given more chances, definitely seems to be something there.

Shields looked dangerous; very direct with a great turn of pace.

Would like to see them both getting some minutes.

I liked the look of young Shields a lot, and it was fascinating to see a winger as direct as an arrow alongside one who produces more slaloms in a season than Glenshee.

He reminded me of Mickey Rankine who briefly lit up Boghead in the 1980's before an appalling tackle by a former Morton player of this parish effectively curtailed his career.

I hope we see him again soon.

2 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Was trying to figure that out. Was Saturday vs Alloa a one off missed game? I know it was reported that we were short of bodies to run the stream etc. But is pixellot the kind of system that could be set up and left to record, at least to be used for the highlights?

We don't have Pixelot anymore.

47 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I think the issue is more that we don’t have the equipment rather than the man power. I think someone lended their own personal recording equipment to video the game last night which obviously wont be a viable option moving forward.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think the issue is more that we don’t have the equipment rather than the man power. I think someone lended their own personal recording equipment to video the game last night which obviously wont be a viable option moving forward.

I'm sure one of the boys that is in the announcing team was filming any goal mouth action last night rather than the full 90 

In regards to the alloa game their was a unmanned camera  following the ball not sure if it was a pixellot one though I

Saw a few folk say the Challenge Cup draw is 1pm on Monday, but this seems to suggest it’s at 3pm.

It would be nice to have a cup run for the first time in a while.

Edited by FifeSons

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Saw a few folk say the Challenge Cup draw is 1pm on Monday, but this seems to suggest it’s at 3pm.

It would be nice to have a cup run for the first time in a while.

Not sure their is much money in a B&Q/Fine Fare Cup run unless we get to final. Our best outcome would  be if we get the Falkirk (Navy) blue pound filling the Rock for the £££. 

11 minutes ago, PWL said:

Not sure their is much money in a B&Q/Fine Fare Cup run unless we get to final. Our best outcome would  be if we get the Falkirk (Navy) blue pound filling the Rock for the £££. 

They've put the prize money up significantly this season. For getting as far as you already have you'll get £15,000 instead of £10,000 last season. Were you to win another tie the £15k would become £20k and reaching the last 8 is worth £30k. That's the same as last year's runner up got.

Nobody's making absolute fortune's out of it obviously but it's not the financial waste of time it used to be.

The thing is, save for 2018, Dumbarton have a fantastically shit record to maintain in this daft cup. I'm pretty sure we were statistically the worst performing team in the competition for several years before they started extending out to foreign clubs, non-league sides and weans.  

Let's meander through this thing of macabre beauty: 

*First year of Challenge Cup* 1990/91 - First round exit.

1991/92 - First round exit.

1992/93 - First round exit

1993/94 - First round exit

1994/95 - First round exit.

1995/96 - First round exit.

1996/97 - First round exit.

1997/98 - First round exit.

1998/99 - Competition was suspended.

1999/00 - First round exit

2000/01 - Holy shit we actually win a match, beating Elgin thanks to a Sir Patrick of Flannery hat-trick! Followed by a swift Second Round exit.

2001/02 - First round (bye), Second Round exit.

2002/03 - This year was extraordinary. We win two matches, eventually succumbing to QoS at the Quarter Final stage.

2003/04 - Normal service resumes - First round (bye), Second Round exit.

2004/05 - First round exit

2005/06 - First round (bye), Second Round exit.

2006/07 - First round exit.

2007/08 -  First round exit.

2008/09 - First round exit.

2009/10 -  First round exit.

2010/11 - First round exit

2011/12 - For the first time in nearly a decade we win a match! Followed by a swift second round exit.

2012/13 - First round exit

2013/14 - First round exit

2014/15 - First round exit

2015/16 - We win another match - beating Morton! But a Second Round exit follows.

2016/17 - First/Second round (bye), Third round exit

2017/18 - Amazing year! Reach the final before losing in the most painful way possible.

2018/19 - We beat Morton again! But a Second Round exit swiftly follows.

2019/20 - First round (bye), Second round exit.

2020/21 - Covid

2021/22 - First round exit

2022/23 - First round exit 

2023/24 - First round (bye), Second round (win!), Third round exit.

You could argue we've performed marginally better in the last few seasons since reaching the final, but all-told that is a sorry spectacle of a record. Particularly given this is a tournament featuring only lower league clubs, and we spent several seasons at Championship level.

By my reckoning in 32 attempts we've managed to win through to the next round, or go on a run, on only 7 occasions. In the first 20 attempts we managed it only twice! It's bonkers.

Thanks to the Sons Archive for aiding my memory on some of this.

36 minutes ago, George Parr said:

2000/01 - Holy shit we actually win a match, beating Elgin thanks to a Sir Patrick of Flannery hat-trick! Followed by a swift Second Round exit.

I was at this game up at Elgin! Could not have told you Flannery got a hat trick, though. Or even what the score was.

Spoiler

Because I was only 8, not hammered!

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, PWL said:

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Until they punt the B teams this competition can suck on plums. 

I agree, it’s been ruined by the B teams, but it’s our best chance for a cup run, and if we got to a final again, I’d be absolutely loving it. 2018 was superb (up to a point…).

I guess it’s basically a meaningless diddy tournament until you get deep into it. We’d all have taken a defeat on Tuesday in exchange for 3 points at Cove. However, if we won the whole thing, it would be one of the best day’s in the club’s modern history.

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I agree, it’s been ruined by the B teams, but it’s our best chance for a cup run, and if we got to a final again, I’d be absolutely loving it. 2018 was superb (up to a point…).

I guess it’s basically a meaningless diddy tournament until you get deep into it. We’d all have taken a defeat on Tuesday in exchange for 3 points at Cove. However, if we won the whole thing, it would be one of the best day’s in the club’s modern history.

Right up there with winning the Stirlingshire Cup

I see from the fixtures that we finish the season away at Stenhousemuir, so hopefully we'll have the title wrapped up by the previous week's home game. Takes the pressure off the away game.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They've put the prize money up significantly this season. For getting as far as you already have you'll get £15,000 instead of £10,000 last season. Were you to win another tie the £15k would become £20k and reaching the last 8 is worth £30k. That's the same as last year's runner up got.

Nobody's making absolute fortune's out of it obviously but it's not the financial waste of time it used to be.

Shouldn't be treating cups with contempt any way just because a certain manager does 

If we were to make the final then it's a good day out for the fans. We took 11 buses to McDairmid Park. Plus those who travelled independently. There was a bit of feel good around our run to the final. If a club like Dumbarton could actually win it then it's something to celebrate. The money aspect is also welcome.

But clearly if you offered us League One safety right now at the expense of going out in the next round then I doubt if there would be anybody who would say no. Which is a shame. The Challenge Cup could be so much better. Get shot of B teams. Get shot of foreign teams. Include more highland/lowland sides. Cup runs and cup finals should mean something. The feel good factor associated with a good cup run can build momentum across a season. Its something for players and fans to buy into and to enjoy. Winning a national cup should mean something and I doubt if the FA Vase and FA Trophy are treated with the same disinterest that our Challenge Cup is.

I don't like the League Cup. I don't think that the grous do anything for us. Not being able to play trialists is an issue and the odds of teams like us progressing from a group are far too small. Doesn't mean that I think it's right that fans are paying decent money to attend games that the manager treats as glorified friendlies, but that's the reality of Faz and our approach to the league cup.

Edited by BallochSonsFan