Sons' sorrow

No idea if he will move or not  or if there is any truth in the rumour but it is strange that he didnt want/get a contract extension at the end of last season.Basically as it stands his contract is up in May AFAIK.

3 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

The person messaged me saying he was joking so faz staying 😂 he also mentioned he wants Stevie Aitken back at Stranraer . Can’t believe Aitken hasn’t had a job since leaving us 

He has actually. A very short (and unsuccessful) stint with EK. But I agree that it's weird he hasn't been back in management, especially when you see some of the guys who have lurched from failure to failure.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He has actually. A very short (and unsuccessful) stint with EK. But I agree that it's weird he hasn't been back in management, especially when you see some of the guys who have lurched from failure to failure.

Perhaps the wee dick's arrogance (without any great record) is putting clubs off from hiring him?

I said on the Stranraer thread that I felt Aitken lost his way after Faz left, ironically enough. Recruitment at this level is more than half the battle and after Faz left Aitken has continued his trend of signing older guys dropping out of full time and chasing the bigger names rather than building a squad that makes sense for the level he's at. Look at the team we built when Faz was assistant compared to the ones Aitken and Durrant built, I think it's clear Aitken missed having Farrell there to guide recruitment. He's been out the picture now for a while it's hard to see where he comes back in. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Unless Stranraer have just been taken over by a millionaire I can't fathom a single reason Farrell would move there right now. 

If I remember rightly, did Stranraer not spend a bit of money last season, especially to avoid relegation?  Do they have some new backer or have the committee realized they were too close to relegation and want to make sure they don't go through that again?

53 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

The person messaged me saying he was joking so faz staying 😂 he also mentioned he wants Stevie Aitken back at Stranraer . Can’t believe Aitken hasn’t had a job since leaving us 

Tell your contact he nearly caused heart failure in the Dumbarton boardroom. We can't replace a kit man never mind a manager.

Edited by Frank Quitely

20 minutes ago, ItsGoneBust said:

If I remember rightly, did Stranraer not spend a bit of money last season, especially to avoid relegation?  Do they have some new backer or have the committee realized they were too close to relegation and want to make sure they don't go through that again?

You've completely imagined that. Fair play to you.

Stranraer, like last season, will have comfortably a bottom 3 budget for the league.

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

You've completely imagined that. Fair play to you.

Stranraer, like last season, will have comfortably a bottom 3 budget for the league.

You probably right, no your correct in regards to Stranraer being  a bottom 3 club and cant see that changing for a long time but checking back they were spending a little mainly to make sure they don't finish bottom, just don't want a club like them, meaning the bottom 3 club from div 2 taking any of our players

Wonder what the latest on the new CB is... Faz mentioned he was hoping to bring them in at the end of last week (didn't he mention Friday?) but we haven't heard anything else since. I appreciate it might not make a difference with the cup game this weekend and possibility of the parent club not wanting their man featuring, just in case.

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

Wonder what the latest on the new CB is... Faz mentioned he was hoping to bring them in at the end of last week (didn't he mention Friday?) but we haven't heard anything else since. I appreciate it might not make a difference with the cup game this weekend and possibility of the parent club not wanting their man featuring, just in case.

I think the cup game this weekend would be a particularly GOOD game to have the new CB in for. It gives him a chance to play with Durnan without any real consequences and provides some real game experience for them before the important league game next weekend.

10 minutes ago, super-son said:

I think the cup game this weekend would be a particularly GOOD game to have the new CB in for. It gives him a chance to play with Durnan without any real consequences and provides some real game experience for them before the important league game next weekend.

If you're looking to bring in a young CB from a Premiership side there's a fair chance they will be cup tied from the earlier rounds anyway. Two of our four Premiership loans are cup tied and the two that aren't were with us from the start of pre-season so were already with us before the SPFL Trust Trophy started.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you're looking to bring in a young CB from a Premiership side there's a fair chance they will be cup tied from the earlier rounds anyway. Two of our four Premiership loans are cup tied and the two that aren't were with us from the start of pre-season so were already with us before the SPFL Trust Trophy started.

I just came on wondering the same. Saw Skyline Drifter was the most recent post, so immediately knew someone had beat me to asking about loans!

When does the loan window actually close?

On a different note, for some reason I had it in my head that Peterhead was midweek, so pleasantly surprised we actually have a game this Saturday.

Edited by FifeSons

13 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I just came on wondering the same. Saw Skyline Drifter was the most recent post, so immediately knew someone had beat me to asking about loans!

When does the loan window actually close?

On a different note, for some reason I had it in my head that Peterhead was midweek, so pleasantly surprised we actually have a game this Saturday.

End of September from within the SPFL only. Everything else is already closed.

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I get the feeling that this may all boil down to money.  The club's loaning out players won't be doing if for nothing.

47 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I get the feeling that this may all boil down to money.  The club's loaning out players won't be doing if for nothing.

I doubt money is the issue here. Yes, we don't have money to throw around... but we still have the wage we were paying Crighton to reinvest - which is what will happen to pay the wage for a natural young CB. Faz has already said he will be bringing someone in. He wouldn't be saying that if we couldn't actually afford anyone.