Sons' sorrow

The only small crumb of hope, and it is just that, that I can give you is that in my class at Uni there's only three (I think) Old Firm fans out of the twenty-five of us. Hopefully the sports journos of the not too distant future will start to give us diddy teams a wee bit more space in the papers and online.

I'm going to paint with a very broad brush here and say that the Old Firm and all their associated non-football nonsense appeals more to the lesser intelligent members of society, therefore you'd expect there to be a better balance of teams followed within a Uni. Most OF fans would only get near a Uni if they're cleaning it, repairing it or tanning it.

And while it's a noble theory to have that you're all going to change the face of journalism, unless papers are financed by some way other than readership, you'll all find some harsh realities if you try to do anything than meet the needs of the fans of the 2 biggest teams in the country.

To be fair though, despite what the P&B feeling is, there are intelligent OF fans who follow them purely for the football, and I'd reckon that the 12% your class has would be low, compared to the whole Uni.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I'm going to paint with a very broad brush here and say that the Old Firm and all their associated non-football nonsense appeals more to the lesser intelligent members of society, therefore you'd expect there to be a better balance of teams followed within a Uni. Most OF fans would only get near a Uni if they're cleaning it, repairing it or tanning it.

And while it's a noble theory to have that you're all going to change the face of journalism, unless papers are financed by some way other than readership, you'll all find some harsh realities if you try to do anything than meet the needs of the fans of the 2 biggest teams in the country.

To be fair though, despite what the P&B feeling is, there are intelligent OF fans who follow them purely for the football, and I'd reckon that the 12% your class has would be low, compared to the whole Uni.

You've contradicted yourself within three paragraphs. I'd be interested to know if the non old firm fans support other lower league Scottish teams or if they 'support' English/foreign teams which imo is even worse than supporting a Scottish side.

As for journalists taking their support in to their writing I would think that is unlikely to happen. I work for a newspaper and the teams that the journalists support have little bearing on what they write. Newspapers have to be sold and a sports section full of Falkirk/Dunfermline/Peterhead etc stories just would not sell enough to justify its existence. Sad maybe but that's the reality

Harsh, but quite probably correct.

You've contradicted yourself within three paragraphs. I'd be interested to know if the non old firm fans support other lower league Scottish teams or if they 'support' English/foreign teams which imo is even worse than supporting a Scottish side.

As for journalists taking their support in to their writing I would think that is unlikely to happen. I work for a newspaper and the teams that the journalists support have little bearing on what they write. Newspapers have to be sold and a sports section full of Falkirk/Dunfermline/Peterhead etc stories just would not sell enough to justify its existence. Sad maybe but that's the reality

The two guys that I spend most of my time with are a Killie fan and an Ayr fan. The guys I get the train with are two Motherwell fans and a Sheffield United fan and we've got another few Ayr fans, a Dundee United fan, and Aberdeen fan. Come to think of it all the Scottish lads on my course support a Scottish team first, whilst we've got an Italian who's a Roma fan and a Dutch guy who supports someone back there - can't mind who though. The two of them have been going to Ayr games during term time over here though.

Obviously the team supported has little influence over what you have to cover, but I think the idea of a paper covering the old SFL could work. There's some big clubs down here - excluding the obvious - like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Ayr etc and I think quite a few fans who buy the ordinary papers to just read 200 words about their team and 1500 on Rangers/Celtic might consider switching to the special SFL paper.

When I come to power the world will be a far better place imo.

Anyway, away from reforming Scottish football and the media. Anyone heard any transfer rumours?

I think aitkens signings have been 50% succesful at best. Some of the players we've signed/since released/loaned out/ started just have nt been good enough. Perhaps millars remit is to help him pick players as well as find them.

I appreciate that his holiday pre season may have caused problems as well as him moving into a new job and higher league.

Board have to back him now I think. No panic yet.

You're confusing education and intelligence here. Quite ignorant actually.

Three heading out and three cuming in am told from a very good source!

*Looks at squad page*

Right, assuming that doesn't include loan players returning I'll say the following will be away:

Gordon Smith, Gregor Buchanan and Stevie Ross (if he isn't already away), maybe Waters back to Celtic cutting his loan deal short as BBPF said a few pages back as well.

Hopefully see two strikers and a winger come in. If it's another central midfielder I'll cry for a week.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

I'd guess, kirky, Saunders, Craig, Ross already away, Smith staying at cowden, Brown will go back, waters, possibly, Fleming needs help, so I'd say a big monster striker coming in, creative midfielder, possibly a keeper to challenge Mark Brown,

Big monster striker with Stranraer connections? There can only be one obvious signing surely:

Scots68_02_1643680a.jpg

DSC07591.JPG

I've nae idea who will be away or who will stay but providing we can bring in able replacements I wouldn't be against any of the following finding pastures new:

Stevie Craig - one word - hopeless

Kirky - produces around 1 good game in every 20. Has the ability but shows it nowhere near often enough.

Buchanan - I don't think he's a bad player but the defensive record with him out of the team is night and day. I'd be happy to keep him as back up as I feel it's further up the pitch we're struggling.

Gordon Smith - zero explanation required.

Scott Brown - the definition of 'meh'. Tidy enough player but he doesn't bring much to the team at all.

Ewings - we need a goalkeeper to provide competition not one who looks 2 stone over weight and last got an appearance when S08 was still a spunk bubble in his da's bawsack (sorry S08 )

Watters - doesn't seem to be getting much game time and I would fully understand if Celtic wanted him to go elsewhere.

Didn't bother mentioning Ross has I'm not sure he ever existed.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I've nae idea who will be away or who will stay but providing we can bring in able replacements I wouldn't be against any of the following finding pastures new:

Stevie Craig - one word - hopeless

Kirky - produces around 1 good game in every 20. Has the ability but shows it nowhere near often enough.

Buchanan - I don't think he's a bad player but the defensive record with him out of the team is night and day. I'd be happy to keep him as back up as I feel it's further up the pitch we're struggling.

Gordon Smith - zero explanation required.

Scott Brown - the definition of 'meh'. Tidy enough player but he doesn't bring much to the team at all.

Ewings - we need a goalkeeper to provide competition not one who looks 2 stone over weight and last got an appearance when S08 was still a spunk bubble in his da's bawsack (sorry S08 )

Watters - doesn't seem to be getting much game time and I would fully understand if Celtic wanted him to go elsewhere.

Didn't bother mentioning Ross has I'm not sure he ever existed.

:lol: Dearie me, I was just about to have my dinner

I have my suspicions that Stevie Ross was a different guy every week. Like Stevie (Aitken) asked a few of his mates if they fancied sitting on the bench for his club, then the odd time he had a 'Stevie Ross' who was half-decent he'd bring him on.

Edit: Felt the need to specify the Stevie's

Edited by Sonsteam of 08