Sons' sorrow

I remember getting VERY excited in 1980 at the prospect of Cruyff in a Sons shirt.

Yip. led to the greatest ever DFC headline in the Times ( not the Evening version ).

'Cruyff: Ajax,Barcelona,Cosmos and Dumbarton'

I've still got it somewhere.

I remember getting VERY excited in 1980 at the prospect of Cruyff in a Sons shirt.

I remember a lot of us got very excited at the prospect of him strutting his stuff at Boghead.

RIP one of the greatest footballers ever.

Edited by Jumbo Muir

Yip. led to the greatest ever DFC headline in the Times ( not the Evening version ).

'Cruyff: Ajax,Barcelona,Cosmos and Dumbarton'

I've still got it somewhere

And I've got one from the then still-august Glasgow Herald which read 'Cruyff Is The Target Of Dumbarton Bid'.

The deal fell thro as the Dutch maestro was not assured of an automatic start, such was Graham Fyfe's form at that time.

If I remember correctly, Sons did eventually realise a decent sum on the players. McCahill went to Celtic for a reported £100k and Moore went to Hearts for a reported £50k . Stuart McIver spent most of his career at Sons but I think we got a fee from Clyde of around £10k when he left.

Neither did Chizzy. He never turned out at left back.

I'm pretty sure he did, I'm convinced I remember him wearing the number 3 shirt during (I think) the 2009/10 season at least once.

I definitely remember him in every other position. I preferred him on the wing.

I'm pretty sure he did, I'm convinced I remember him wearing the number 3 shirt during (I think) the 2009/10 season at least once.

I definitely remember him in every other position. I preferred him on the wing.

I saw him in every outfield position except left wing (he won MOM at an away game I wasn't at in that role) and left back. I was sure he never played left full back.

He definitely did, I remembered saying at the time, the only position chizzy hasn't played is keeper, 💖💖💖, ooh Allan Moore, predictive text, allah, lol, he made me keep coming back, then flannery, and crilly, awesome players

Edited by optimistic