Sons' sorrow

So no under 20s team in the league next season I take it this is the death of our youth system as some 20s step up to the first team each year and without a 20s team that will be done I'm guessing anyone know what's happen with the rest of the develment teams are they safe or are we losing them too?

So no under 20s team in the league next season I take it this is the death of our youth system as some 20s step up to the first team each year and without a 20s team that will be done I'm guessing anyone know what's happen with the rest of the develment teams are they safe or are we losing them too?

I hope we keep them, as sad as it is that the 20s are folding I can't help but feel that a player like McCallum would have benefited much more from a loan spell either Juniors or in League 2 rather than playing for them all season, so I'd think that would be the way forward for our U17s who are good enough.

I'd imagine, in the SPFL's dream world, all the 20s teams outwith the biggest clubs in the country would pull out, allowing them to attempt to force the big teams 'B' teams into the league structure as there would be nowhere else for them.

It's frustrating for me as I do like to see clubs try and push young talent on but from the statement it's clear that in order to have a continued competitive first team squad at this level we need to make tough decisions. I think it's the right decision though, it wasn't much use to us in this league.

I agree with Moonster - I like to see clubs investing in youth football and offering a pathway for players to transition from youth to adult football.

The sad fact is that ours wasn't doing that. We were producing guys who were on the fringes of our squad. We weren't getting players who would command a fee when they moved. It was a money pit that we couldn't plug and wasn't delivering. As sad as it is to see it go, part time teams need to make difficult decisions and on balance this one is in the best interests of the club.

Do Livingston invest in a large youth setup? they've produced the likes of Snodgrass, Griffiths, Dorrans, McNulty, Scougall and now Knox among others.  Certainly whatever they are doing appears to be getting results.

Edited by albundy

I agree with Moonster - I like to see clubs investing in youth football and offering a pathway for players to transition from youth to adult football.

The sad fact is that ours wasn't doing that. We were producing guys who were on the fringes of our squad. We weren't getting players who would command a fee when they moved. It was a money pit that we couldn't plug and wasn't delivering. As sad as it is to see it go, part time teams need to make difficult decisions and on balance this one is in the best interests of the club.

At Alloa we had a few appearances here and there from youngsters but probably similar to Dumbarton in that Development League to Championship was too big a jump for the vast majority. Hopefully we will be in the position to give a few opportunities in League One. From Dumbartons perspective a sad but perhaps necessary sacrifice to continue their good work and progression over the past 5 years. I'm sure it wasn't a decision made lightly.

The Club have obviously been reading this thread, new tie-in with Total Teamwear for kits & merchandise should mean better opportunities for fans to get hold of DFC/Joma gear. £90 for an under 16 season ticket, Stevie Aitken was at Knoxland Primary School too. Good stuff

I was just looking online at dates for the play-odds (just out of interest of course, because we're not involved in them :D) but I happened upon a statistic...

We've been the victim of both the highest home and away victories for other sides this season in the Championship.

Losing 6-0 at Palmerston and being humbled 6-0 at home to The Rangers.

A sad statistic, but no matter, mission accomplished for the season. It was just a stat I thought I'd share.

The Club have obviously been reading this thread, new tie-in with Total Teamwear for kits & merchandise should mean better opportunities for fans to get hold of DFC/Joma gear. £90 for an under 16 season ticket, Stevie Aitken was at Knoxland Primary School too. Good stuff

The only minor confusion for me is that the OS says that 90% will be available through Total Teamwear. What goods will be part of the 10% ?

In any case, it's going to be better than the current set up. That under 16 deal is good.

The only minor confusion for me is that the OS says that 90% will be available through Total Teamwear. What goods will be part of the 10% ?

In any case, it's going to be better than the current set up. That under 16 deal is good.

I'd imagine the 10% will be the usual stuff available from the stadium. Strips, keyrings etc.

I'd imagine the 10% will be the usual stuff available from the stadium. Strips, keyrings etc.

Aye and the other stuff will be hoodies, trackies, jackets etc. They've got a whole room at TTL dedicated to Partick Thistle, so I'd imagine we might get a corner of that or something.

Very much looking forward to seeing the new kits and cutting about in my DFC branded gear like it's 2004 again.