Sons' sorrow

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that had Christian Nade not joined when he did then there would have been a very good chance of us entering the play-offs this week, not to mention a couple of flashes of Willie Gibson which helped get 6 points on the board early on.

Whilst 8th place is very merit-worthy I really hope some hard calls are made over the next few weeks, especially as to the balance of the squad. The harsh likelihood is however that quite a number of players who were in attendance last night will be offski of their own account - such is modern football.

From the list of those you'd be keeping, I'd add Taggart to that. I'm not fussed on Hopkins, I don't see what he's done to make him one we should be keeping.

If we could get one or even both of Lindsay and Waters again next season that would be great. And if Routledge is away then that places more importance in retaining Darren Barr.

What's certain for me though is that over the summer we need some more creativity in the midfield to be brought in. And of course we need more striking options, but they're difficult to come by. But midfield-wise we've been hopelessly lacking in any incision or forward-thinking play at times and that's what I think needs to be addressed most in the coming weeks.

I only put Taggert on the not sure list as he hadn't played much. So can't say if he's good enough.

Pretty much agree with the rest we are/ were very unbalanced.

From the list of those you'd be keeping, I'd add Taggart to that. I'm not fussed on Hopkins, I don't see what he's done to make him one we should be keeping.

If we could get one or even both of Lindsay and Waters again next season that would be great. And if Routledge is away then that places more importance in retaining Darren Barr.

What's certain for me though is that over the summer we need some more creativity in the midfield to be brought in. And of course we need more striking options, but they're difficult to come by. But midfield-wise we've been hopelessly lacking in any incision or forward-thinking play at times and that's what I think needs to be addressed most in the coming weeks.

Despite a defensive outlook we still lost a bucket load of goals, so I would hope that the management will look to get a bit more balance and creativity into the side with a view to giving the front line something to work with.

There have been a few signings which weren't up to the mark and it can debated all day if that is because of tactics or if they are simply not good enough, the two Stevie's need to be careful not to repeat the mistake of shoehorning players and not getting the best out of them this time round (IMO). Tough decisions ahead with no room for sentiment.

Apologies it should have been Buchanan I have fixed my mistake

Phew!

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that had Christian Nade not joined when he did then there would have been a very good chance of us entering the play-offs this week, not to mention a couple of flashes of Willie Gibson which helped get 6 points on the board early on.

Whilst 8th place is very merit-worthy I really hope some hard calls are made over the next few weeks, especially as to the balance of the squad. The harsh likelihood is however that quite a number of players who were in attendance last night will be offski of their own account - such is modern football.

I don't think anyone at the club could have guessed how massive a success Nade would be, and I agree it has papered over the cracks.

Using my rough maths if we hadn't signed Nade - and this is the most basic of basic what ifs - we would've been 8 points worse off, and thus facing a trip to Stair Park this week.

2 points dropped - Dumbarton 3-2 Hibernian 1 (Goal)

3 points dropped - Dumbarton 3-1 Alloa Athletic (Goal x3)

1 point dropped - Dumbarton 1-1 Falkirk (Nade wins penalty)

2 points dropped - Dumbarton 4-2 Queen of the South (Goal x2)

Of course that also doesn't include the games where he's scored and we've not won, and the other non-directly to a goal contributions he's made.

If we can't keep him, then we need somebody who has very, very big boots to fill (metaphorically and literally), it also glosses over the fact that when he gets injured we're reliant on a 50 something year old Heffernan, who hasn't scored, and a 19 year old with very limited gametime to fill his place.

I'm hopeful that the lateness of the appointment and lack of planning was behind the bulk buying of poor players, and lop-sided squad, but only time will tell.

Was Mark Brown there last night anyone? I didn't see him in any images that went on Facebook/Twitter.

Phew!

I don't think anyone at the club could have guessed how massive a success Nade would be, and I agree it has papered over the cracks.

Using my rough maths if we hadn't signed Nade - and this is the most basic of basic what ifs - we would've been 8 points worse off, and thus facing a trip to Stair Park this week.

2 points dropped - Dumbarton 3-2 Hibernian 1 (Goal)

3 points dropped - Dumbarton 3-1 Alloa Athletic (Goal x3)

1 point dropped - Dumbarton 1-1 Falkirk (Nade wins penalty)

2 points dropped - Dumbarton 4-2 Queen of the South (Goal x2)

Of course that also doesn't include the games where he's scored and we've not won, and the other non-directly to a goal contributions he's made.

If we can't keep him, then we need somebody who has very, very big boots to fill (metaphorically and literally), it also glosses over the fact that when he gets injured we're reliant on a 50 something year old Heffernan, who hasn't scored, and a 19 year old with very limited gametime to fill his place.

I'm hopeful that the lateness of the appointment and lack of planning was behind the bulk buying of poor players, and lop-sided squad, but only time will tell.

Was Mark Brown there last night anyone? I didn't see him in any images that went on Facebook/Twitter.

He was indeed there.

I didn't get a chance to speak to him myself so no idea what he was saying regarding being here next year etc. I think the only player I didn't spot was McCallum but he may well have been in attendance.

I did however speak to Jazza and his tone suggested it wasn't exactly a done deal regarding him staying with us. His words were "we'll see what's offered" but I just got the impression he wont be jumping at any deal that's flung his way.

He got plenty of praise from myself and the other arseholes I was hanging around with and seemed pretty happy with the fact we acknowledged how loyal he had been to the club. Hopefully we can sort something out with him.

He was indeed there.

I didn't get a chance to speak to him myself so no idea what he was saying regarding being here next year etc. I think the only player I didn't spot was McCallum but he may well have been in attendance.

I did however speak to Jazza and his tone suggested it wasn't exactly a done deal regarding him staying with us. His words were "we'll see what's offered" but I just got the impression he wont be jumping at any deal that's flung his way.

He got plenty of praise from myself and the other arseholes I was hanging around with and seemed pretty happy with the fact we acknowledged how loyal he had been to the club. Hopefully we can sort something out with him.

I saw a picture on Facebook with McCallum in the background so he was there.

I'd imagine now he's proven himself to be more than up to this level Jaz will be hoping for an improved deal, I'm guessing his current one would be based very much on being No.2 to Brown and Rogers before him. In saying that with the possibility of David McGurn becoming available I wouldn't be chucking silly money in his direction. 

By the way the picture of Sparky with his Bucky is superb  :lol: He actually looks delighted, get him signed up and make him captain.

I saw a picture on Facebook with McCallum in the background so he was there.

I'd imagine now he's proven himself to be more than up to this level Jaz will be hoping for an improved deal, I'm guessing his current one would be based very much on being No.2 to Brown and Rogers before him. In saying that with the possibility of David McGurn becoming available I wouldn't be chucking silly money in his direction.

By the way the picture of Sparky with his Bucky is superb :lol: He actually looks delighted, get him signed up and make him captain.

I actually left the wine in the house, totally forgot to bring it.

After Doc spent the entire awards ceremony slating everyone and dishing out some golden bantz I decided to sprint home and retrieve his award. The big man was indeed delighted :lol: he was clutching it the entire night, I heard him saying to Fleming 'f**k yer awards, I got the main one' :lol:

I actually left the wine in the house, totally forgot to bring it.

After Doc spent the entire awards ceremony slating everyone and dishing out some golden bantz I decided to sprint home and retrieve his award. The big man was indeed delighted :lol: he was clutching it the entire night, I heard him saying to Fleming 'f**k yer awards, I got the main one' :lol:

Captain, knighthood, freedom of Dumbarton, give him the lot  :lol:

Garry Fleming is some boy. Got the impression last night that he never wants to leave Dumbarton, he'll be 85 and still tussling with centre backs.

I told about 6 different players that I voted for them for Player of the Year.

I spoke to Mark Brown. He was sitting on the reception stairs and I felt a bit sorry for him. We didn't actually talk about football. He was the designated driver and was waiting for Sparky. He might still be on the stairs!

I was surprised how big mark brown is, he's as tall as nade if not quite as muscular.

I only had a quick word with frazer and it sounded like he was thinking of something other than playing next season. Would be a shame as i think he's done well this year and played more games than expected. Can imagine him doing player/coach at albion rovers or similar.

I was surprised how big mark brown is, he's as tall as nade if not quite as muscular.

I only had a quick word with frazer and it sounded like he was thinking of something other than playing next season. Would be a shame as i think he's done well this year and played more games than expected. Can imagine him doing player/coach at albion rovers or similar.

Is Fraz not starting his A license after the Summer? 

So according to some of the players on Sunday night, tonight is when they're first in to see Stevie about next season.

I'd imagine most will be offered terms, but how many of them choose to accept them could be another thing altogether.

I think there's a decent nucleus there that we can build on and it'd be good to get a few signed up relatively quickly.

I'm doubtful that we'll hear much over the next day or so, but if they're in tonight to speak to the manager, then at least that's the ball rolling for next season.

So according to some of the players on Sunday night, tonight is when they're first in to see Stevie about next season.

I'd imagine most will be offered terms, but how many of them choose to accept them could be another thing altogether.

I think there's a decent nucleus there that we can build on and it'd be good to get a few signed up relatively quickly.

I'm doubtful that we'll hear much over the next day or so, but if they're in tonight to speak to the manager, then at least that's the ball rolling for next season.

I always have it in my head that the 'Players Released' statement goes up on the OS on the first Tuesday after the season ends, so perhaps we will discover something tonight.

There's something about this stage of the season that I really enjoy, and something about it that I find tediously dull.

Let the rumour spreading commence.

I always have it in my head that the 'Players Released' statement goes up on the OS on the first Tuesday after the season ends, so perhaps we will discover something tonight.

There's something about this stage of the season that I really enjoy, and something about it that I find tediously dull.

Let the rumour spreading commence.

yeah, that was my thinking, I'd imagine a lot of the players will have been offered a renewal by now, and tonight would be yes or no night, or maybe, thus deciding the few released.

Personally, for me, I wouldn't be too adverse to a big turn around again. There are a good few players I'd give another shot of impressing, or who may be better with a season of the championship under there belts, but certainties, I'd keep, ewings, nade, Fleming, saunders, Buchanan, Heffernan, mccallum,(I think is improving every year). Docherty seems to love the club, but I'd prefer we sign a quicker lb who stays out to defend, but move him to midfield. Lindsay, I'd take him back, if we either sign aggy or similar, we need a midfielder who can shoot on target, can get around 8 goals a season, take a penalty, thread a pass, Lindsay does the donkey work. Wright may Chuck it, getting on a bit, barr wants full time, but after his first half shocker against hibs and probably alloa, I wouldn't be shoe horning him into the middle, centre half with buccy, perfectly acceptable.

Thanks and goodbye;

Waters, heh, walsh and lindsay (loans ended)

Cawley, gallacher, kirkpatrick.

Players I expect to move on; saunders, barr, routledge, wright, nade and heffernan.

Everyone else I'd keep, but you can see the quality of player and how many first eleven players we could lose.