Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Imagine what P&B would've been like in 1998 if it had been invented :lol:

Obviously it would've been without my whit, intelligence and hashtag bantz, but Sons' Sorrow would have been going into overload! I'd love to have gone back and read the comments from the fans between Fallon being appointed and the end of the 98 season, it would be fascinating reading knowing what we do now.

The Sonsteam messageboard would probably have been in its infancy around that period. So fill yer boots - if you can find it.

Edited by Consolidate

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Imagine what P&B would've been like in 1998 if it had been invented :lol:

Obviously it would've been without my whit, intelligence and hashtag bantz, but Sons' Sorrow would have been going into overload! I'd love to have gone back and read the comments from the fans between Fallon being appointed and the end of the 98 season, it would be fascinating reading knowing what we do now.

There was a short-lived attempt at a Fanzine around those times.  Can't remember the name. Contributors used to try and hawk it in the ground during games.

The Sonsteam messageboard would probably have been in its infancy around that period. So fill yer boots - if you can find it.

I'll go for some online hunting when I'm next at a loose end on the laptop. I'd just find it fascinating to see what everybody thought at the time.

There was a short-lived attempt at a Fanzine around those times.  Can't remember the name. Contributors used to try and hawk it in the ground during games.

That sounds pretty interesting as well. With Boghead is bits and the team in absolute freefall that must've been a horrendous time to be a Sons' fan

I'm quite glad I was about a year old when it came to a head at the bottom of Div 3!

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That sounds pretty interesting as well. With Boghead is bits and the team in absolute freefall that must've been a horrendous time to be a Sons' fan

I'm quite glad I was about a year old when it came to a head at the bottom of Div 3!

Wasn't a lot different to now - the occasional diamond found by enduring quite a lot of shit.  I barely missed a game home or away during '83-'99, but I enjoyed being a Sons fan.  Every diamond makes it all worth it again.

20 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I disagree. If Sons finished 9th and stay up by winning the playoff, but go out of every cup competition early it'll have been a successful season only in so far as success being measured against the singular goal of staying up. There'd be so few wins witnessed it would be enough to make one question why they're so desperate to see the club stay up at all as at least a league down there'd be more wins available.

However, if the club finishes 9th and wins the playoffs to stay up but also gets to the last 16 of the League Cup, the same in the Scottish Cup and go a few rounds in the Challenge Cup, then you would be able to turn around and say hand on heart that it had been a successful season.

Staying up by a bawhair every season and doing nothing else of footballing note isn't success, it's subsistence. In decades to come it won't be staying up by a narrow margin that fans reflect on, it'll be finishing 5th, playing Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup latter stages, promotions, title wins etc. Success can't simply be 8th place every year, that's purgatory, not success.

If we stay up it's a successful season, IMO. I like to see my club stay in this division as we always want to be at the highest level possible. I'm not saying our eternal goal is only to cling onto this division for dear life, of course we want to see the club do better every year,  but you need to assess what is realistically achievable each year based on who you're playing and your budget. And for Dumbarton to have any meaningful sustained progression we need much more support and resources, not League Cup wins (I realise a League Cup run brings resources but not enough to bring sustained progress IMO).

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The logic of that is undeniable, it's a pretty grim outlook for fans though, is it not?

Obviously, success for Dumbarton this season would be staying in the division for another one.  Our own situation is slightly, but not hugely different I suppose.

What that does, to my mind anyway, is make Cup performance yet more important.  When promotion pushes are not likely, then advancing in cups can go a long way to lightening a league campaign likely to yield fewer wins than defeats. 

I think the observation about the manager being measured by league standing is sound enough.  I'm not sure that the interests of fans necessarily coincide with the manager's though.

I don't disagree with any of that, really. As a fan this year though, I'm happy to see us balancing the books and trying to stay in this division as a priority.

I'll never forget the season we finished 2nd bottom (I think?) Of the 3rd divison.

Bevy had just been discovered by the likes of Moonster and myself and we hoored and toured the country every 2nd week. Some absolutely unbelievable days out. Snudge was also a mainstay, that was before he impregnated a female and got really responsible. He was deep in his wild child stage at that point :lol:

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A top flight of only ten teams as well.  

Were you in it for just one year, or two?

Single season.  IIRC it was the first (and maybe only) year that the same 2 teams that went up, came back down again.  Morton were the others, and they had an absolutely atrocious season, they had gone up as champions, and subsequently were bottom of the pile.

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'll never forget the season we finished 2nd bottom (I think?) Of the 3rd divison.

Bevy had just been discovered by the likes of Moonster and myself and we hoored and toured the country every 2nd week. Some absolutely unbelievable days out. Snudge was also a mainstay, that was before he impregnated a female and got really responsible. He was deep in his wild child stage at that point :lol:

Third bottom. 9th was Shire, Forfar were dead last.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Are we all talking about the same horrendous season?

Wikipedia (I know) has us dead last for 97/98?

Capture.PNG

BBPF was nowhere near old enough to drink in 98. The season we're talking about is 07/08.

Edited by Sweet Pete

I have never seen DFC in any other league. I started after watching the conga at Airdrie.
I have enjoyed every season as we have achieved our goal of survival.
To survive we need to have a part time squad who exceed and a full time squad who don't.
I like Stevie and think if he had the money we would survive. Currently we don't have the money to have a squad who will exceed. This is the smallest squad I have witnessed. So please don't blame the management.

I am an ex old firm but hate being called this when I buy my season ticket, tops and 3/4 top. When asked who I support it's Dumbarton I reply.

2 hours ago, Consolidate said:

The simple fact is that more fans turn up when the team is winning - irrespective of the league you're in and the quality of football. The run in the latter part of the 3rd Division Championship season was as enjoyable as any moment in the last 4 seasons.

But there's a 'be careful what you wish for' note of caution here. Last time we fell out the second tier there was some excitement that we could bounce back straight away and play some attractive football to boot. But we fell - and kept on falling.

Yip and if we followed the same pattern as we did in the mid nineties this time we would end up in the Lowland League. Few new grounds to visit I suppose

First match I ever went to was a 1-1 Draw v Montrose in our 3rd division winning season. I would take Championship strugglers over that any day although being a top team in league 1 sounds exciting.

That was the game that in the first half the Montrose left back tackled Andy Geggan so hard that he ended up across the track and bumped into the fence.