Sons' sorrow

Ahem, Jamie Ewings is a far, far better 'keeper than Greg Fleming. Buchanan would get in ahead of Murphy or Meggatt imo - although Meggatt is more of a left-back, no?

Todd can play on the wing, but by all accounts if a better No.10/striker. If you're needing wingers then Andy Stirling would get in too. Boyle was decent for us in Div 3 years ago, but I'm not convinced he's better than Docherty. Out of fairness I'll put him in however. Stevo/Cairney - meh, depends who is less unfit. Stevo has looked very fit recently which is promising, but I've no idea how Cairney looks so I'll pap them both in and you can pick one.

Jamie Ewings

Nicky Devlin Gregor Buchanan Daryl Meggatt Paddy Boyle

Josh Todd Ross Docherty Paul Cairney/Ryan Stevenson Andy Stirling

Craig Moore Robert Thomson

That team would probably be good enough to scrape 8th. Todd/Moore/Thomson/Stirling is a very decent frontline.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

17 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

The same Ross Docherty that looked out of his depth at this level in a shite Livi team?

ETA:
Also, don't see the argument for Meggat being a better centre back than a fit Darren Barr or Frazer Wright.

That's the one. I saw him last season a few times and he looked very tidy indeed. Those could just have been odd games to be fair to him, and it was in a diddy league, but I liked him a lot.

Meggatt was Alloa's standout player a few seasons back and he was someone I'd be hoping we'd be after this summer when it became clear that Dundee didn't fancy him. I suppose in this hypothetical team you could stick him at LB in place of Sparky and have one of Barr and Wright at CB.

The only thing that matters is the results on the pitch and we're not exactly justifying some of the bravado on here right now.

Bravado?

I'm not sure disputing that none of our players could get in Ayr's starting 11 should be considered bravado.

Most fans are well aware we're up against it this season but dont confuse a bit of light hearted forum chat/trolling/bantz with bravado.

I really only made that statement so 'Sonsteam of 08' posted a perfectly formatted Dumbarton/Ayr combined starting 11.

That boy loves a starting 11. 

I sure do, absolutely massive fan of a combined starting XI.

I also don't get out much these days which may not surprise you.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Are you guys likely to be in for a right winger? My paw reckons you've enquired about Craig Thomson.

Quite possibly, Stevie said a defender/midfielder and striker so the midfielder could possibly be Thomson.

He decent?

He's a 20 (might be 21 now actually) year old winger who's had some first team experience with us, but mostly out on loan at Peterhead and I think Elgin before that. Very quick,and can be quite tricky and he's willing to do the dirty work but needs to work on his final ball and his awareness/movement when coming forward. Link up play isn't the best either.

He started for us against Brechin mid week. I wasn't there, but I don't think it was one of his better games. A lot of our fans really like him - some going as far as to say he could be Michael O'Halloran's replacement long term - but I can't see it personally.

I see this has been rubbished already, but we'll see what happens. My dad is, shall we say, well connected. Some of what he says is gold, some of what he says is shite.

He's a 20 (might be 21 now actually) year old winger who's had some first team experience with us, but mostly out on loan at Peterhead and I think Elgin before that. Very quick,and can be quite tricky and he's willing to do the dirty work but needs to work on his final ball and his awareness/movement when coming forward. Link up play isn't the best either.

He started for us against Brechin mid week. I wasn't there, but I don't think it was one of his better games. A lot of our fans really like him - some going as far as to say he could be Michael O'Halloran's replacement long term - but I can't see it personally.

I see this has been rubbished already, but we'll see what happens. My dad is, shall we say, well connected. Some of what he says is gold, some of what he says is shite.

Any idea how he got on during his loan spells?

If we are indeed interested I assume he will be backup to Smith and Stirling.

Hes vastly over-rated by most Saints fans, and only got a contract extension due to some sublime U20 performances straight after O'Halloran left (we were gagging for a direct winger, and thats what Thomson was, so the hype train went mental).

Might manage not too badly at this level but hes still physically weak, is pretty naive in terms of always trying the same thing and loses his position quite a lot. Will likely have games where hes unplayable due to his directness, but you'd have to persevere through the games where hes invisible to benefit. Willie Dyer absolutely dominated him on Tuesday and Thomson was hooked at half time.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes vastly over-rated by most Saints fans, and only got a contract extension due to some sublime U20 performances straight after O'Halloran left (we were gagging for a direct winger, and thats what Thomson was, so the hype train went mental).

Might manage not too badly at this level but hes still physically weak, is pretty naive in terms of always trying the same thing and loses his position quite a lot. Will likely have games where hes unplayable due to his directness, but you'd have to persevere through the games where hes invisible to benefit. Willie Dyer absolutely dominated him on Tuesday and Thomson was hooked at half time.

Hmm, a winger who is physically weak and loses the ball frequently. Why does that sound familiar?