General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Ugh, just as the excitement of Indy is building, the racing world brings you down a peg.  2006 Motorcycle world champion Nicky Hayden has died after being hit by a car while cycling in Italy last week.

RIP Nicky Hayden 1981-2017

http://www.racer.com/international/moto-gp/item/140744-nicky-hayden-1981-2017_140744

On the road to Indianapolis for the 500, approaching Cleveland 7.5 hours driven, another 6 ish to go

Must admit I'm jealous. Nearest I've got was Daytona 500. Alonso on BBC website earlier talking about crowd of 300K to 400K for Sunday. I know Indy have traditionally been cagey about their capacity but I thought perceived wisdom was about 250K seats?

On 22/05/2017 at 14:51, senorsoupe said:

Middle of row 2 should be safe, although he be a bit worried about having Sato next to him.  IMS is really sensitive to wind and a lot of drivers were getting caught on the exit of turn 2, a couple of guys brushed the wall.  In the end the cream rises to the top and the best driver in Indycar, Scott Dixon, put together as perfect a 4 lap qualifying run as you will ever see.   He was smooth and consistent, especially through the troublesome turn 2

The cream always rises to the top uh?? Newgarden and Pagenaud back on Row 8 and of course you can never write off Helio Castroneves who starts on Row 7. Looking forward to this, plenty of angles going like is it possible for the pole sitter to win an Indy 500, Dixon did that in 2008, Helio in 2009, hasn't happened this decade. What about Marco Andretti can he break the Andretti Indianapolis jinx? Hardy likely he will be amongst the winners this year but stranger things have happened.

In the end its often strategy that wins out rather than raw speed, however I like to keep an eye on Ryan Hunter-Reay on the bigger speedways, always one to keep watching for the sheer speed. Maybe someone yet to win here at Indianapolis might be fortunate Conor Daly or Graham Rahal?. What about Will Power, yet to win the Indy 500? He has been very quick this season, 3 pole positions and fastest laps, also led (I think) more laps than anyone this season.

How do you think Hinchcliffe will get on? I see he's starting in between Kimball and Montoya which could get interesting on the early laps.

Enjoy the race.

Edited by CityDave

Not overly confident about Hinch to be honest, but he's good around here so should do well. I'm thinking Dixon will win this year, he has looked so smooth in practice. 9c0ac983172dbab65b23950397024a63.jpg

Think I'd rather be sitting out in the sunshine.

Alonso and Rossi swapping for the lead.

Huge accident for Scott Dixon, collision with Jay Howard, both drivers OK. Howard ran wide hit the wall came back down the track and collected Scott Dixon who's car was thrown up in the air and came down on the inside wall fortunately behind the driver breaking the car in two, wheel came close to the cockpit. Dixon very lucky to walk away from that.

Edited by CityDave

What a save from Helio driving on the inside underneath Dixon's flying car completely missing the accident. The back facing cam on Helio's car showing the crash is something to see.

Race stopped due to the safety fence damaged by Dixon's car.

Before the accident Dixon's car didn't look very stable on the turns, moving about a lot. Very different from Qualy. Alonso driving like a veteran of the 500, Rossi very quick and looking confident.

Just now, CityDave said:

Before the accident Dixon's car didn't look very stable on the turns, moving about a lot. Very different from Qualy. Alonso driving like a veteran of the 500, Rossi very quick and looking confident.

All Andretti cars seem a lot more stable, especially more than the Ganassi's. 

6 minutes ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

All Andretti cars seem a lot more stable, especially more than the Ganassi's. 

Sato up there as well. Hunter-Reay if he doesn't run into someone should be in contention later on.

edit: Scott Dixon interview he said the car was a bit loose which would have stood him in good sted later in the race.

Edited by CityDave

1 minute ago, Jamaldo said:

A marshall was standing right next to the area of the fence that Dixon's car hit too. Seems to be relatively ok.

It was a photographer, if he was still taking shots wow! sports photo of the year. He seems ok looks shaken up as anyone would