NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

It wouldn't be crazy. This is a deep draft class at every position other than QB. Next year, we may not get Teddy Bridgewater or Jonny Manziel, but other guys like Tajh Boyd or David Fales would be acceptable. If we get a lot of holes filled this season and let the rookies develop, it makes it easier on the franchise QB to get off to a good start.

In an ideal world, I would draft Nuk Hopkins, Andre Ellington and Tajh Boyd (2014). You'd think I was a Clemson fan. :lol:

I'd take the picks next year and parlay them to get exactly who I want.

Yes this is looking like a great draft depthwise but NY have to get the QB and that's next year.

Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray and David Fales are all top quality QBs that I can think of that should be available. We cannot afford to consistently give up draft picks with so many holes to fill.

David Bass takes a pay cut and the Giants are now $8 million + under the cap

Kenny Phillips has rejected a new deal tho

Our biggest cap hit is Eli at a massive $20 million. If he was to cut his deal to $13-15 million that would make us at a minimum $13 million under the cap entering Free Agency and the draft

I'll try a quick go at a top ten then:

1. Kansas City Chiefs OT Luke Joeckel Texas A&M

2. Jacksonville Jaguars DT Sharrif Floyd Florida

3. Oakland Raiders DT Star Lotulelei Utah

4. Philadelphia Eagles CB DeMarcus Milliner Alabama

5. Detroit Lions OLB Dion Jordan Oregon

6. Cleveland Browns OLB Jarvis Jones Georgia

7. Arizona Cardinals OT Eric Fisher Central Michigan

8. Buffalo Bills QB Geno Smith Virginia Tech

9. New York Jets OLB Ezekiel Ansah BYU

10. Tennessee Titans CB Desmond Trufant Washington

A couple of points:

As Lichtie says, this is subject to change dependent on what happens next week. Though I just have a feeling six or seven of those guys are going in the top ten in some order regardless of FA.

Some picks are a lot easier than others. I struggled with Cleveland, New York, Philadelphia and Detroit in that order.

Though I haven't included any trades, I don't anticipate many given the perceived lack of 'can't miss' players.

It's clear to me from doing this that Philadelphia's pick will determine Detroit's. If the Eagles take the CB Detroit will have to take a pass rusher. And vice-versa. Basically they have the same needs.

Although not back-to-back, I'd say it's also true of Cleveland and the Jets. Both need a stand out pass rusher in the worst way but how they stack them up and who is available to the Browns could leave NYJ in a really miserable spot at nine.

A couple of no-brainer picks if available: Fisher to Arizona; Smith to Buffalo.

And finally, I absolutely love the matches at picks two and three. I think those two DTs could really help both those teams at a low ebb.

So there you are. Fire away at me, try your own, ignore. I just enjoy debating this really interesting part of the season.

Edited by Pride_of_the_Clyde

Star Lotulelei might drop because of the heart problems. As might Jarvis Jones with the neck problem

I think Lotulelei has too much potential to drop too far.

Jones was the one in there that I had to think twice about. He's long been very highly thought of and I really wanted to get Ansah to NYJ so I had the Browns take the boom or bust prospect in Jones.

If Ansah and Jordan are both gone by 9 and NYJ doesn't clear Jones on the medical, they're in an awful spot. I'd guess they'd just have to take one of the OGs or a CB to potentially replace Revis which a) is spending a high draft pick on what is automatically going to be a downgrade b) a corner class that I don't personally don't like towards the top.

How would a combination of Austin and DJ Fluker in the first sound to Rams fans?

Thinking on it, you don't get much Ram talk on this thread or in the media at large.

I would like to see us take Austin and Kenny Vaccaro in the first round.

Offensive line is a big need tho. Would like to see us try and go after Eric Winston. Dunno how realistic that is with our cap situation.

How would a combination of Austin and DJ Fluker in the first sound to Rams fans?

Thinking on it, you don't get much Ram talk on this thread or in the media at large.

I would like to see us take Austin and Kenny Vaccaro in the first round.

Offensive line is a big need tho. Would like to see us try and go after Eric Winston. Dunno how realistic that is with our cap situation.

I heard Winston looks likely to end up back in Houston

Dolphins re-signed WR Brian Hartline to a five-year, $30.775 million contract with $12.5 million guaranteed.

Wow that to me is way to high for a WR who essentially has had one big year. Thats set the ball rolling though, all other FA, WR's will be looking at their contract too Hartline's and comparing it to what they have been offerd. Pushing everyone's demands up. "if Hartline gets this I want more" sort of thing.

Dolphins re-signed WR Brian Hartline to a five-year, $30.775 million contract with $12.5 million guaranteed.

He was after between $5-7m a year for 5 years so whilst not totally surprised by the numbers I'm a little bit disappointed.

He HAS to be our #2 WR next season, so from reports it looks like him & Wallace. We have the cap room but I hope we don't blow it all on 2 WRs when we still have other important areas to tend to.

Steven Jackson has officially voided his contract and has stated in a few interviews that he's off to a contender. While hardly surprising, it's heartbreaking for Rams fans who, for the last ten years, have had literally NOTHING else going for them. Whoever he signs with is officially my #2 team.

Other Rams fans seem ok with a running back by committee approach utilising the (unproven) backs we already have. F that. Give me Eddie Lacy in round one, we have two picks after all. Not sold on Tavon Austin... I just don't see that frame being conducive to long-term health in the NFL.

After cutting Wayne Hunter and Jackson leaving, we have saved $11 mill in the last few days.

If he isn't demanding too much coin I'd be more interested in him than Charles Woodson Apparently we are interested in Aquib Talib. This disappoints me

You'd definitely get him cheaper than Woodson I'd think. Amazing player but he did seem to lose a step quite noticeably last year.

I thought Talib played well last season for the Cheats. He is a dick though, probably not the kind of guy you want on your team. Like Luis Suarez.

Do you have the money to go after Sean Smith?