NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

So, it's the Divisional Round then to follow my funeral march from Cappielow.

New Orleans @ Seattle: So Seattle's home playoff game finally arrives and it's felt like it's been basically guaranteed for most of the season. I had been waiting quite anxiously for it in order to back against them such was the hyperbole around the Seahawks that I thought you'd get a really nice price against them (it's 3/1). I won't be now, I think the Seahawks win today. I do get the feeling that New Orleans will just hang with the Seahawks for most of the evening and I think it's going to be a low scoring affair for most of the way. Seattle quietly cooled down some in the last few weeks of the season, most notably illustrated by losing at home to a middling Arizona team. My concern with the Seahawks is on offense; In the last quarter of their season they went 2-2 and averaged under 20 points per game. In those games, Russell Wilson only threw four touchdowns to three interceptions and, moreover, was sacked fourteen times. I look at some of the 'weapons' they have out there and wonder if they'll be good enough to fulfil the expectations on them: Golden Tate, Zach Miller, Doug Baldwin. They're all nice players in a complimentary role but none has the huge playmaking ability of a number one receiver and none now has the scope at this point in their career to break out and become one. Lynch will be a threat from the backfield but I'm sure the Saints will be well aware of that and, combined with the job they did on LeSean McCoy last week, I don't envision a career day from Marshawn and plays will need to be made at receiver. And that a lot of the time will have to be done when Wilson is on the run as his line is not good enough in pass protection.

You'd think with all of that that I'd be keen on the Saints but I'm not. I haven't mentioned the other side of the ball yet for Seattle and for good reason; they speak for themselves. Looking at that secondary, where does Brees attack them? And with who? Seattle will happily go one on one with you outside such is their confidence in their defensive backs and the Saints just don't have the wide outs anymore to take advantage of that. I do think Stills has a nice future in that offense but for today I can only see them having success with him on screens or catch and run passes rather than the big chunk plays. Of course Jimmy Graham is a threat but, again, Seattle is well aware of that and when you have the talent Seattle does on the back end is there a favourable match up for New Orleans and can't Seattle adjust to take it away if he has early success?

This was the most anticipated regular season game of the season around week twelve or so with Seattle eventually prevailing in a blowout and going on to take the number one seed while New Orleans couldn't even seal their division. In terms of trying to pick the winner, I hate post season rematches of regular season games. In theory, I'd always think a losing team has more to go away and learn and improve on in defeat and then apply next time around to make it at least closer but I'm not sure if that's actually borne out in practice. Last weekend notwithstanding, New Orleans have struggled on the road this season as we all well know. However, as I think that both offenses are going to have their struggles in this one, I have to think it's going to be closer. Particularly as Seattle haven't been nearly as good since they blew the doors of New Orleans.

I'm expecting a close, low scoring game but ultimately I think Seattle are the better team and they'll find a way to win the game but that's possibly going to require points from their defense to help them. I'm not really anticipating a classic, it actually could be quite a frustrating game to watch.

So, it's the Divisional Round then to follow my funeral march from Cappielow.

New Orleans @ Seattle: So Seattle's home playoff game finally arrives and it's felt like it's been basically guaranteed for most of the season. I had been waiting quite anxiously for it in order to back against them such was the hyperbole around the Seahawks that I thought you'd get a really nice price against them (it's 3/1). I won't be now, I think the Seahawks win today. I do get the feeling that New Orleans will just hang with the Seahawks for most of the evening and I think it's going to be a low scoring affair for most of the way. Seattle quietly cooled down some in the last few weeks of the season, most notably illustrated by losing at home to a middling Arizona team. My concern with the Seahawks is on offense; In the last quarter of their season they went 2-2 and averaged under 20 points per game. In those games, Russell Wilson only threw four touchdowns to three interceptions and, moreover, was sacked fourteen times. I look at some of the 'weapons' they have out there and wonder if they'll be good enough to fulfil the expectations on them: Golden Tate, Zach Miller, Doug Baldwin. They're all nice players in a complimentary role but none has the huge playmaking ability of a number one receiver and none now has the scope at this point in their career to break out and become one. Lynch will be a threat from the backfield but I'm sure the Saints will be well aware of that and, combined with the job they did on LeSean McCoy last week, I don't envision a career day from Marshawn and plays will need to be made at receiver. And that a lot of the time will have to be done when Wilson is on the run as his line is not good enough in pass protection.

You'd think with all of that that I'd be keen on the Saints but I'm not. I haven't mentioned the other side of the ball yet for Seattle and for good reason; they speak for themselves. Looking at that secondary, where does Brees attack them? And with who? Seattle will happily go one on one with you outside such is their confidence in their defensive backs and the Saints just don't have the wide outs anymore to take advantage of that. I do think Stills has a nice future in that offense but for today I can only see them having success with him on screens or catch and run passes rather than the big chunk plays. Of course Jimmy Graham is a threat but, again, Seattle is well aware of that and when you have the talent Seattle does on the back end is there a favourable match up for New Orleans and can't Seattle adjust to take it away if he has early success?

This was the most anticipated regular season game of the season around week twelve or so with Seattle eventually prevailing in a blowout and going on to take the number one seed while New Orleans couldn't even seal their division. In terms of trying to pick the winner, I hate post season rematches of regular season games. In theory, I'd always think a losing team has more to go away and learn and improve on in defeat and then apply next time around to make it at least closer but I'm not sure if that's actually borne out in practice. Last weekend notwithstanding, New Orleans have struggled on the road this season as we all well know. However, as I think that both offenses are going to have their struggles in this one, I have to think it's going to be closer. Particularly as Seattle haven't been nearly as good since they blew the doors of New Orleans.

I'm expecting a close, low scoring game but ultimately I think Seattle are the better team and they'll find a way to win the game but that's possibly going to require points from their defense to help them. I'm not really anticipating a classic, it actually could be quite a frustrating game to watch.

you have too much time on your hands pal

I'm going to pick Russell Wilson to create enough special plays to win this one. Seahawks by 9.

Ordinarily, I would say that to beat the Pats, you need to run the ball effectively first and foremost. However, the ball needs to be out in the hands of Andrew Luck. He will win this game and Donald Brown will do damage on screens, draws and against nickel defenses. Tight but high scoring affair. Colts by 2.

I'm going to pick Russell Wilson to create enough special plays to win this one. Seahawks by 9.

Ordinarily, I would say that to beat the Pats, you need to run the ball effectively first and foremost. However, the ball needs to be out in the hands of Andrew Luck. He will win this game and Donald Brown will do damage on screens, draws and against nickel defenses. Tight but high scoring affair. Colts by 2.

Bear in mind too that Aqib Talibs worst games this year have been vs speed receivers like TY Hilton, he could have a field day if thats the matchup. Might see an elusive Trent Richardson TD too on a screen play if we're lucky.