Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The Institute for Fiscal Studies suggests that there exists “a more than 50:50 chance that (on a like-for-like basis) borrowing this year will be higher than it was in 2011-12."

Green Budget

Westminster borrowing is increasing despite austerity but Government will not change approach to the economy.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article on Wings today.

It is still too early to go on the offensive yet IMO, I'd leave them running around banging into each other for a wee while yet, but no harm in posting a provisional list like this to hone and add to in preparation.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-no-future/#comments

Oh and remember the fund-for-a-year has a bit to go, I think it is at about £21,000 (some folk have apparently been using the on-going donate button by mistake or design) so still about 8k to target.

Our Cybernat mugs arrived today, another fiver or so to the fund.

Been having a chat on Youtube (which is never wise) with a guy called TheIbroxPreacher (which didn't seem very wise either). Want to hear the shocking extent of his fundamentalist No Surrender-style Unionism?

I have followed the debate more than most of the country, honestly I feel it's a catch 22. If we stay in the UK we have years of down - down- down to look forward too. If we leave England will f**k us if the SNP's fantasy based on Irish Republicanism doesn't.

The truth probably is that we should go for Independence but through a justified fear, we'll stay with the UK. I'm pro Union but that's m honest assessment of where we stand.

Well... that's encouraging.

Better Together are getting grief on their own Facebook page from their own supporters as well. They put up the frankly stupid story in the Telegraph (also in the Guardian) claiming that Scottish soldiers stationed abroad would be denied a vote. They were all horribly outraged till somebody posted clear evidence that the story was bollocks. Cue unhappy unionists realising they're getting lied to.

My Unionism does not like being lied to. I am reporting this to the Press Complaints Commission - indeed have already tried but their site is not working properly. I have tried to argue with a Nat acquaintance only to find my arguments fell to dust when examined. I am not amused and I want to argue truth not lies.
15 hours ago via mobile

Good luck with that mate.

No doubt the unionists will be on to express disgust that we would go negative. I just think its shoddily done photoshop!

Yeah its a bit tacky, saw it on Facebook but hey ho...

Yeah its a bit tacky, saw it on Facebook but hey ho...

Isn't that just a UK wide anti-Tory poster rather than a pro-independence one? Who is to say the Tories will be in poll come the referendum, not me anyway.

Not that I am against informing the electorate of the negatives of staying in the UK, indeed it is our democratic duty to do so, but only after the positive case for independence has been made.

The Lib Dems have voted at conference to support Home Rule (or maybe full independence) for Shetland. No word yet on Orkney, or indeed the Hebrides, or Western Isles for that matter. Just Shetland. Tavish has gone full separatist and said they should loosen their ties with both Scotland and the UK. He justified this on grounds of different language, culture, and political needs - exactly the things he castigates Nats for talking about. Wonder what Ad Lib makes of it all?

I reckon it's pretty funny. Lib Dems are striving very hard for relevance.

Fully support Shetland having more autonomy if they choose it though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21815296

I like this quote of Tavish from the ShetNews site:

"The northern isles don't need Nationalists negotiating Scotland's oil share, it's wirs. We have plenty of our own leverage.

Whit a fanny.

Tavish Scott has lost all credibility. The unionist who supports Balkanisation. Does he support a wee Faslane enclave as well whilst he's at it?

If this Shetland thing is true he cannot, with any sense of credibility, argue for the United Kingdom.

"has lost"? Bit late for that surely?

But what gives it an extra layer of brilliance is that it is no longer Tavish alone. The party has endorsed it. The next question is to ask them why they made absolutely no attempt to deliver this in the accumulated 11 years in government, and why it never featured in the Scotland Act.

You what it looks like to me? It looks like an attempt to annex Shetland from Scotland and add it to England...

Mr Scott told the gathering that islanders should also use oil and gas off their coasts for any future negotiations on self-determination.

He said: "Shetland and Orkney may never have a stronger opportunity to negotiate a future for the islands.

What, those imminently due to collapse oil prices? Are the Lib Dems saying that it is "their oil"? Never mind, at least its just one man's view, and hasn't been endorsed unanimously by the party.

:D

Incidentally, I see Ad Lib posting on another thread. I wonder if he's giving this thread a wide berth...

You know, for a guy so into independence for Shetland, you'd think he'd have found out by now that Shetland would be seen as an enclave within Scotland's territorial waters. No oil for you Tavish!

Also, I have family from Orkney and I've never once heard any of them talk about home rule unless they meant for Scotland as a whole. And that's from people who casually refer to Scotland as if it is a foreign land.

Lib Dems very rarely spark any passion or emotion in me whatsoever - but hearing snippets from their 'conference' this morning got me in a rage - trying to paint Salmond as someone who actually wants to damage Scotland - like he's a Bond villain. Fortunately no-one seems to take them seriously anymore and electoral annihilation is soon to follow

Archived