Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, it doesn't work as a business. Should the Scottish government maybe buy up all the high street shops that are going down the shitter? They provide far more jobs than Prestwick Airport ever will.

OK it is having a hard time there is no denying that, but they still get 1 million passengers and that figure will rise for 2013. Perhaps the fact that the owners aren't investing in it may have something to do with it's loss making. The Scottish government already operate 11 airports. Why can they not operate another one?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK it is having a hard time there is no denying that, but they still get 1 million passengers and that figure will rise for 2013. Perhaps the fact that the owners aren't investing in it may have something to do with it's loss making. The Scottish government already operate 11 airports. Why can they not operate another one?

Isn't it?

I guess they could shuffle flights towards it to make it "busier" or something? The fact is, that the airlines don't want to use it.

They could be in the politically awkward position of having to make redundancies there now. The place hasn't made a profit for over a decade, it lost Ryanair and it has about four flights a day on a good day. Its in a similar position to when it lost its transatlantic flight monopoly years ago. It does come into it's own when Glasgow is fogbound, but that's about it. Or when the yank military want to stop for a quick slash while they fly the taliban to Guantanamo.

How has it lost Ryanair?

Just because the current owners have failed miserably , as they did with Manston, doesn't mean it can't run at a profit again

How has it lost Ryanair?

Just because the current owners have failed miserably , as they did with Manston, doesn't mean it can't run at a profit again

Not completely. But nothing like it once was.

Maybe it will become the new airbase for the Scottish air force. It has the longest runway in Scotland so it can take the really big hardware

It did cross my mind as a base for Eck's Presidential Flight.

You are right about the runway. Glasgow cannot handle A 380's

Is that what theyve blown that lottery winner from Largs winnings on?

I can only see them making a roaring success of this..

You'll regain the right to ask questions when you clear your backlog of unsupported, incorrect assertions. Until then your credibility is at the bottom of the Copiapó copper mine.

Note that the below are just the first four I have in mind, and I know others have some of their own:

• Pension figures
  • Immigration figures and law
  • 'Ice caps'
  • Weather station siting

Your credibility really has completely evaporated, and as such any further delays aren't likely to have much of an effect on it, but it is what it is.

In what way do you not see a future for it?

With just one carrier left, and one that I don't think is overly enamoured with the facilities on offer, and has declining passenger numbers, coupled with the competition of Easyjet, Thomson, Thomas Cook and Jet2 at Glasgow, which has a far better location and much better facilities... I don't know, I just think that Glasgow has a way better setup for the package holiday market, and I don't see how Prestwick can compete when its only USP is flights to places like Riga.

tl;dr: I don't think Prestwick has a compelling commercial future if it's going to be Ryanair-only, and I don't see why anyone else would come into it at this point in time, at least not as a hub/focus city. If it picks up one stray airline and route out of Austria or something, I don't think that's much of a turnaround, either.

Prestwick is the perfect Ryanair airport. Advertise it is as Glasgow....folk will land and then find themselves miles from the destination.

Those average speed cameras en route are a pain in the arse as well :thumbsdown

True, but they have invested heavily in a maintenance base, which implies to me they are in it for the long haul.

True enough, but when you think about it, transportation to/from a maintenance base is really a small percentage of overall maintenance costs. It's not nothing, and it's a factor, but there's little to prevent a hardly-used airport from also being an airline's maintenance hub.

Prestwick is the perfect Ryanair airport. Advertise it is as Glasgow....folk will land and then find themselves miles from the destination.

Those average speed cameras en route are a pain in the arse as well :thumbsdown

Prestwick's links to Glasgow are very good. As a hinterland airport goes its location is an excellent one. It doesn't have to compete with Edinburgh traffic, for example, which it would if it was further to the more-populated south-east. Distance and location are only a secondary problem to Prestwick. Its problem is that its location is simply less good than Glasgow's, and that would be just as true if it was 20 miles from the city in any direction rather than 30.

Compare and contrast with, say, Stansted, which has an absolutely rancid location. As the crow flies it's as close to central London as Prestwick is to Glasgow, but driving to the city is a write-off and the rail link is a bad joke, taking around an hour to get to a station that's central only in name (Liverpool Street.)

With just one carrier left, and one that I don't think is overly enamoured with the facilities on offer, and has declining passenger numbers, coupled with the competition of Easyjet, Thomson, Thomas Cook and Jet2 at Glasgow, which has a far better location and much better facilities... I don't know, I just think that Glasgow has a way better setup for the package holiday market, and I don't see how Prestwick can compete when its only USP is flights to places like Riga.

tl;dr: I don't think Prestwick has a compelling commercial future if it's going to be Ryanair-only, and I don't see why anyone else would come into it at this point in time, at least not as a hub/focus city. If it picks up one stray airline and route out of Austria or something, I don't think that's much of a turnaround, either.

That's a fair assumption, and it certainly is far from Ryanair only at the minute. Cargo is a large chunk of the business, as is military(and not only the US)

There is a fair amount of business aviation, HMS Gannet, Crew training, it has been used for many, many years by airplane manufacturing companies delivering aircraft around the world, and as Reynard states when Glasgow and other airports are shut.

It's never going to overtake Glasgow, but it can run along side it. Even in the particularly bad times it has had recently it is only making circa a £2m loss. It isn't much and if the current owners had been competent then I suggest it would have been a profitable business. Passenger numbers are rising after several years of decline. That implies to me there is a market.

It always has and always will have a future. It has seen worse times than it has now and has survived

Prestwick's links to Glasgow are very good. As a hinterland airport goes its location is an excellent one. It doesn't have to compete with Edinburgh traffic, for example, which it would if it was further to the more-populated south-east. Distance and location are only a secondary problem to Prestwick. Its problem is that its location is simply less good than Glasgow's, and that would be just as true if it was 20 miles from the city in any direction rather than 30.

Compare and contrast with, say, Stansted, which has an absolutely rancid location. As the crow flies it's as close to central London as Prestwick is to Glasgow, but driving to the city is a write-off and the rail link is a bad joke, taking around an hour to get to a station that's central only in name (Liverpool Street.)

Aye I suppose you are right. I am only speaking from the experience of driving to and from the airport.

Perhaps the scrapping of airport passenger duty is the way forward -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/news/joan-mcalpine-unfair-uk-air-2262813

Archived