Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah yes. That must be why the likes of the Telegraph and Scotsman are bastions of neutrality, and the BBC is in no way biased.

On the contrary, it's precisely the reason why they're not neutral. Neutrality doesn't sell. Partisan contributions engage people and they make more people buy your product. So you mine the partisan positions that will sell you the most papers. There are more Unionists than Nationalists who buy newspapers, so the newspapers cater to their largest catch of audience.

And the BBC is another excellent example of this in practice in other areas. Of course it's not neutral. Look at where its money is coming from. Westminster.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the contrary, it's precisely the reason why they're not neutral. Neutrality doesn't sell. Partisan contributions engage people and they make more people buy your product. So you mine the partisan positions that will sell you the most papers. There are more Unionists than Nationalists who buy newspapers, so the newspapers cater to their largest catch of audience.

And the BBC is another excellent example of this in practice in other areas. Of course it's not neutral. Look at where its money is coming from. Westminster.

I think the expression "a new low" is overused at times. But this feels like an appropriate time.

This is a new low from you.

What's the "thing" I'm supposed to have said

1. Literally never happens

2. Happened once but was an outlier

3. Happened a few times but isn't representative

4. Happened a lot but who cares

Please be VERY specific.

You're doing the 4th. The other three were from HB. It's a team effort.

I'm going out now but I fully expect us to be discussing Schengen or being forced to use the Euro when I get back.

I think the expression "a new low" is overused at times. But this feels like an appropriate time.

This is a new low from you.

Care to be specific and actually deconstruct my point with, like, facts and reasons, rather than just point and shout "LOOK! SHIT!"?

You're doing the 4th. The other three were from HB. It's a team effort.

I'm going out now but I fully expect us to be discussing Schengen or being forced to use the Euro when I get back.

You haven't answered my question, even in respect of part 4.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, sums up the true position of the Unionists in Scotland. Anti-Scottish, British Nationalist, intellectually dishonest and morally vacuous.

No it doesn't Wolfie.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, sums up the true position of the Unionists in Scotland. Anti-Scottish, British Nationalist, intellectually dishonest and morally vacuous.

No it doesn't Wolfie.

Yes it does.

I see MPs are looking for another payrise

http://news.sky.com/story/1092896/mps-are-in-line-for-20000-pay-rise

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) has been looking at an increase of between £10,000 and £20,000.

This could potentially boost MPs' pay to more than three times the £26,500 national average salary.

Why do we still help fund this Union?

Ah well, I'm sure MP will do what they can to turn down this possible pay rise eh?

Amusing watching you climb back down from your inaccurate statement that MPs were looking for a pay rise.

Nick Clegg has already indicated he will not take any increase in salary recommended by IPSA.

ETA: also worth pointing out that part of the proposals also involve MPs making up a significantly higher proportion of the contributions towards their pensions. Most if not all of this proposed salary increase is just going straight back in there instead of Parliament's equivalent of employer's pension contributions.

Amusing watching you climb back down from your inaccurate statement that MPs were looking for a pay rise.

Nick Clegg has already indicated he will not take any increase in salary recommended by IPSA.

Not a climb down, big deal I said MPs, point still stands I highly doubt they will reject this payrise if offered.

They obviously need the extra money on top of the expenses they don't pay

Because they're sensationalist. Sensation sells. It's journalism, not peer reviewed academic debate.

To fill column space and sell papers.

In what parallel universe would the Independent select erm, Scottish independence as its most 'sensational' and paper-selling topic of a day? Are you stupid enough to suggest that this is a major issue for its majority English readership? Or are you suggesting that they made up all of their top stories, and therefore the above merely formed part of a general pattern?

Be very specific in your flailing, Unionist-apologist answer.

Might be a bit controversial, but I think MPs are actually underpaid. I'd give them a great big pay rise, and cut back on the expenses.

I agree, but would also cut their numbers and their holidays. make them earn their salary

In what parallel universe would the Independent select erm, Scottish independence as its most 'sensational' and paper-selling topic of a day? Are you stupid enough to suggest that this is a major issue for its majority English readership? Or are you suggesting that they made up all of their top stories, and therefore the above merely formed part of a general pattern?

Be very specific in your flailing, Unionist-apologist answer.

Slow news day on the Scottish and/or politics desks and the need to fill column inches. The English are interested in sensationalism about the Scottish independence debate too. It's getting more attention in the UK print media than pretty much any otther single political issue save, perhaps, that incredible broad subject "the global economy".

Might be a bit controversial, but I think MPs are actually underpaid. I'd give them a great big pay rise, and cut back on the expenses.

Which to be fair, when you look at the detail, is pretty much exactly what the changes are doing.

Archived