Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Glasgow by a country mile. It has soul, vitality and a real pulse to it. Big fan of the place, I'm moving there in the summer.

^ ^ ^ needs to be the organiser of Subcrawl part II IMO.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing to say is that supposed stereotypes of Glaswegian's and Edinburger's wouldn't come into my choice, because by and large they're the same. Walking about town for the day doesn't equate to knowing a city, and anyone who's lived in both cities will know that Glasgow folk aren't mainly knife wielding nutters and Edinburgh folk aren't mainly unfriendly, stuck up snobs. Only a blinkered rasper would think that.

In short, Glasgow is much livelier with better nightlife and more to do, but Edinburgh is by far and away a nicer city and just generally a more relaxing place to be. So, if I had to spend my entire life between the cities I'd say:

0-18 - Edinburgh

18-30 - Glasgow

The rest - Edinburgh.

I'm by far an Edinburgh man. I can't explain why but I've felt unsafe in Glasgow far more often than in Edinburgh and I live here.

I don't buy this nonsense that Glasgow is more friendly. Also someone said Edinburgh only comes alive during the festival? Edinburgh becomes fucking intolerable during the festival. Takes hours to get anywhere, full of tourists who either call it Edinberg or Edinborrow.

Plus from my flat I can see the crags and when the sun is setting, the view is glorious.

I used to feel like this about the festival, and to an extent I still do. Even local areas out of town become infested with irritating Americans asking stupid questions.

However, since working at the festival over the last couple of summers I've come to appreciate the benefits of it, if you can forget about the petty irritations of your city being full of Americans then Edinburgh is brilliant in August. Pubs open till 3, clubs till 5, loads to do, cheap drink all over the place and a lively buzz about the place, it could be a lot worse.

Being around Bristo Square/George Square Gardens when it's all going on is pretty good, IMO.

The Festival is the best, best time of year in Edinburgh. I much prefer the street being busy with tourists. Beats the dour c***s you see for the rest of the year. Edinburgh would be a far poorer place without the Festival.

When I first started going to Glasgow for gigs and club nights my ignorant east cost prejudices and belief in stupid stereotypes were in full effect. I would walk around paranoid as f**k thinking I'd be getting chibbed at any given moment. I was scared to walk up Sauchiehall Street for f**k sake! There's a misconception that it's like the wild west in Glasgow. It's really not.

In fairness Friday and Saturday night on Sauchiehall St can be a bit hairy, although I tend to only really notice when I'm sober.

Also, anyone who thinks Glasgow is free of pretentious wanks has obviously never been to Byres Road/Ashton Lane!

In all my years going out in Glasgow, i've never once had any bother. (dunno if it has something to do with me being a local) I've also had many a nights out in Edinburgh, i'll probably be down Leith this Saturday for a few drinks, again never had any bother, once a few snide remarks about being a "weegie"

^ ^ ^ needs to be the organiser of Subcrawl part II IMO.

I'm an overground kind of guy, TheScarf. I'll have folk riding West End hipsters like ponies from pub to pub up and down Sauchiehall Street.

In fairness Friday and Saturday night on Sauchiehall St can be a bit hairy, although I tend to only really notice when I'm sober.

Also, anyone who thinks Glasgow is free of pretentious wanks has obviously never been to Byres Road/Ashton Lane!

It's certainly lively, but no more so than any other decent-sized town or city. Perhaps I've just been fortunate in Glasgow, but I've seen more aggression and violence in Dundee and Aberdeen city centres.

I once met a lassie at the students' union in Dundee and was walking her home to her flat in the city centre. She was new to town and was asking if Dundee was as rough as people said it was. I insisted it wasn't, and that it was rare to see real trouble of any sort. Less then two minutes later we saw some boy fleeing for his life as he was chased through the Overgate by a dozen screaming wide c***s brandishing the belts they'd whipped off their jeans and planned to whip the shit out of him with.

Timing.

Only had bother once when someone pulled a Stanley knife on me and my mate for offering him tic tacs (we bought too many off the black guy in the ABC)

I'm an overground kind of guy, TheScarf. I'll have folk riding West End hipsters like ponies from pub to pub up and down Sauchiehall Street.

It's certainly lively, but no more so than any other decent-sized town or city. Perhaps I've just been fortunate in Glasgow, but I've seen more aggression and violence in Dundee and Aberdeen city centres.

I once met a lassie at the students' union in Dundee and was walking her home to her flat in the city centre. She was new to town and was asking if Dundee was as rough as people said it was. I insisted it wasn't, and that it was rare to see real trouble of any sort. Less then two minutes later we saw some boy fleeing for his life as he was chased through the Overgate by a dozen screaming wide c***s brandishing the belts they'd whipped off their jeans and planned to whip the shit out of him with.

Timing.

Bus Crawl squad was it no........?

SweeperDee - Slag my city again and I will chib you you c**t. We're not fucking violent, a'ght?!

I love Glasgow and I've never had any real trouble. The only time would have been in school but that was more to do with the different social groups if you will. Maybe it's just the area I stay in, it's not known for its violence though the areas around it can be a bit rough. This whole 'stabbing capital' shite is just through gang fights and you're very unlikely to witness them. Glasgow's great for concerts and there's always something going on.

That said, I'd prefer to move to Edinburgh when I'm older. I've always really liked it but maybe that's just because I've lived in Glasgow for so long.

Timing.

Presumably you stayed the night in her flat offering comfort, reassurance and protection against similar outbreaks of thuggery.

Can someone explain to me how Glasgow 'feels Scottish'?

Please, no mentions of Edinburgh. I'm asking about Glasgow here. If anyone wants to chip in with an explanation of how its more soulful than any other medium sized city, that'd be good too.

Disclaimer: Lived in Glasgow for years and loved it.

I think the east coast/west coast think is mainly perpetuated by east coasters who maybe have a wee inferiority complex about them. There's genuine rage and dislike for Glasgow in places out east (Hi, Edinburgh!). As far as I can tell no-one in Glasgow really gives a f**k about it.

The east/west coast divide is a fallacy, probably fuelled by football tribalism. Dundee, with its history of industrialism, Irish immigration and trade unionism, has much more in common with Glasgow than it does Aberdeen or Edinburgh (and junkies and teenage pregnancy too, before some wide c**t gets there first). Uber-Dundonian Michael Marra saw Glasgow as a home from home.

Archived