Edinburgh or Glasgow?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody who admits to voluntarily spending time in Livingston doesn't deserve to have their opinion of proper cities taken seriously.

At least nobody in Livingston is raised on top of a betting shop, or kebab shop - unlike Tollcross (and many other parts of Edinburgh).

We have had this debate before but what the hell i might as well join in. So i was born in Glasgow and lived there until i was about 10. And i now live and work in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is a stunning city,but just like London or Rio it has its down sides. Some of the peripheral estates are/were terrible. They are gradually improving. A lot of Edinburgh is made up of old villages. Stockbridge, Colinton etc. There is an ease about the place. It doesn't quiet have the bussle of a capital city. It is relatively easy to get around. Don't drive mind , the council hates cars and is inflicting an expensive white horse of a tram line on us. I do not call it a network because it isn't. Lothian buses are great and it is a nice city to walk around. Plenty of good pubs with cracking beer. In all the years i have lived there it hasnt changed a great deal though.

Contrast that to Glasgow, after i left, to live in Stirling, we still went back a lot and i still do. Two or three times a month. Glasgow in the 70,s was still to large extent an industrial city. It was dirty and grimy. As the old industries were closing the city changed dramatically. The Garden Festival in the 80,s was a big turning point along with the Glasgow's miles better campaign. And while there was/ is still a lot of deprivation the city has changed. There is a bussle in the city centre. There are great museums and music to be enjoyed. And after Edinburgh having 2 Commonwealth games it is Glasgow's turn.

The two citys are differnt, and what is wrong with that? They are close so as others have said you can get the best of both worlds.

Eventually the two cities will merge to become Edinbow. Or Glasburgh.

Hopefully this will result in a Warriors type scenario played out in front of us teuchters. Cannae wait.

That would mean that contemporary Falkirk would become the "City Centre"

At least nobody in Livingston is raised on top of a betting shop, or kebab shop - unlike Tollcross (and many other parts of Edinburgh).

And indeed many parts of Glasgow, London, Chicago and other cities around the world

All I was suggesting was that as you seemingly don't rate city life in general your opinion on the merits of cities should be taken about as seriously as my opinions on which of One Direction is the best looking.

If you like planned new town suburbia where sprawling residential estates are segregated away from commercial activity then that's fair enough the hustle and bustle of metropolitan existence isn't for everybody.

Personally I think that the trend for tennements in Scotland is one of the things that give our cities more vitality and makes them more attractive rather than less. Whether that's upmarket like the merchant city, Marchmont and the New Town or in neighbourhoods like Gorgie and Partick there's a vibrancy that comes with the concentration of people and businesses into a relatively small geographic area that you won't get in Newton Mearns or Livingston or Cumbernauld.

Having lived in Edinburgh all my life, I'm obviously going to say Edinburgh is better; however I have absolutely no prejudice against Glasgow. In fact it is better in areas, things like shopping and the fact taxi's are rediculously cheap in comparison.

I do love where I live though, I'm right next to the water, there's some wonderful scenery a 5 minute walk from me and actually I can get into town within 20 minutes, as well as the fact I can be at the Forth road bridge within 10.

Something happened to Lexi in Tollcross.

Something bad. :(

My guess is that he probably didn't realise how strong the beer can be in the Hanging Bat leading to him getting violently ejected out of the Liquorice rooms for touching the dancers and then got knocked back from the Cav for being covered in cuts and bruises.

Watching Edinburgh folk being the hard man is fucking hilarious, btw. Love the way Irvine Welsh tries to big it up as some pure mental heroin paradise, full of nutters. It's probably the softest place in Scotland. The people just aren't intimidating.

Oh no, Edinburgh folk aren't as hard as other cities. What a terrible shame. :huh:

Edinburgh (Leith aside) is essentially a tourist city.

No offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. What tourist attractions do you know in Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse, Craigentinny, Drylaw, Royston, Sighthill, Oxgangs or Niddrie? I could go on and on.

In fact, walk past town and there's nothing touristy about Edinburgh, it's mainly a place to live like any city in the world. The main thing I'm learning from this thread is that people get most of their opinions from stereotypes and myths.

Both cities have their good and bad parts.

Edinburgh

Good

There are some areas of Edinburgh that are genuinely lovely just to walk about, like Morningside, Stockbridge etc.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

Oh no, Edinburgh folk aren't as hard as other cities. What a terrible shame. :huh:

No offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. What tourist attractions do you know in Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse, Craigentinny, Drylaw, Royston, Sighthill, Oxgangs or Niddrie? I could go on and on.

In fact, walk past town and there's nothing touristy about Edinburgh, it's mainly a place to live like any city in the world. The main thing I'm learning from this thread is that people get most of their opinions from stereotypes and myths.

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

Jack's just finished booking a 2 week summer getaway in Wester Hailes.

Edinburgh is the better place to be because it feels safer, salt and sauce, the Glasgow accent is horrendous and really does my head in and I've always thought Glasgow looked dirty and depressing.

Archived