Hannibal

Armand 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really enjoying s2 of this. I'd go as far as to say that Mikkelsen is a better Hannibal than Hopkins, who became a bit of a caricature in the god awful movies after Silence of the Lambs.

Not sure if he beats Hopkins' masterful performance in Silence of the Lambs, but he's pretty close to his equal, and far surpasses him in the sequels.

It's a great showing from Mikkelsen, especially alongside another lead who is as bland as you could ask for.

Not sure if he beats Hopkins' masterful performance in Silence of the Lambs, but he's pretty close to his equal, and far surpasses him in the sequels.

It's a great showing from Mikkelsen, especially alongside another lead who is as bland as you could ask for.

I'd agree with Hopkins being better. The writing in this TV and Hopkins at that time would have been a lethal combination. I completely disagree with you Hugh Dancy however. You don't need to be animated to be a good actor. I like the gothic, sentimental portrayal he plays, it really feels convincing in displaying an empathy disorder.

Season finale was cracking, even if some of the coincidences to get there where questionable.

I should have qualified that by saying that SotL is still a tremendous performance, it's just that he blotted his copy book a bit by carrying on with the character in those really sub par sequels/prequels.

Mikklesen is almost shark like in the way he plays him and is fairly terrifying without actually doing very much half the time.

Is it also wrong that I'd eat everything he put down in front of me even if I knew it was people?

"Pizza delivery boy black pudding? Fucking lovely big man, got any broon sauce?"

I should have qualified that by saying that SotL is still a tremendous performance, it's just that he blotted his copy book a bit by carrying on with the character in those really sub par sequels/prequels.

Mikklesen is almost shark like in the way he plays him and is fairly terrifying without actually doing very much half the time.

Is it also wrong that I'd eat everything he put down in front of me even if I knew it was people?

"Pizza delivery boy black pudding? Fucking lovely big man, got any broon sauce?"

With that one quote you have just proven that you have neither the class or refinement to be invited to dinner at Hannabal's house!!!

It's fucking red sauce with black pudding!!!

Edited by King Kebab

I'd agree with Hopkins being better. The writing in this TV and Hopkins at that time would have been a lethal combination. I completely disagree with you Hugh Dancy however. You don't need to be animated to be a good actor. I like the gothic, sentimental portrayal he plays, it really feels convincing in displaying an empathy disorder.

I thought Mikkelsen did the same thing in the first season effectively. Dancy just has nothing. He reminds me of those memes people make of guys who have the same expression for everything. I can't buy any emotion from him.

I thought Mikkelsen did the same thing in the first season effectively. Dancy just has nothing. He reminds me of those memes people make of guys who have the same expression for everything. I can't buy any emotion from him.

In fairness, even when the shit has hit the fan, I can very rarely remember any character totally losing the rag and having some oscar-attempted breakdown speech or shouting, which I quite like. On Dancy, I think we probably share a bit of the duck and rabbit perspective here, but each to their own.

• 1 month later...

It is an excellent show, actually went and downloaded the final episode after watching this weeks, just 'cos I couldn't wait!!!

It is easy to see why both leads are up for awards!!!

Only one more to go then? :(

Fraid so, but it's excellent and well worth the watch, you finally get to see Hannibal go "mental", which if you consider his behaviour over the past two seasons is no mean feat!!!

Season Three will be set three years later.

Also...

Seems the season will be almost the start of an entirely new series, with Maurier and Lector taking centre stage. The killer-of-the-week thing is completely gone and the manhunt for Lector takes centre stage.

They're looking to explore what Hobbs was doing during Season Two as well.