Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Goodwillie would be a massive boost - better suited for playing on his own through the middle than Russell if J Mac chooses to persist with his 4-3-3.

Stephen McManus is the other name that keeps cropping up - might get slaughtered for it but IMO hes exactly the type of CH we need. We are still looking a bit short at LB/RB unless Gunning is going on the left when he returns. Sure Paton can play RB too.

Wonder where McManus rumour poped up? Could we afford him? Anyone know where the two boys from QP play?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good chance for us to get him now. I'd match the bid and offer Watt on loan for the season. Would absolutely love to see Russell at Celtic.

Good chance for us to get him now. I'd match the bid and offer Watt on loan for the season. Would absolutely love to see Russell at Celtic.

Sack Lennon give this guy the job. Watt on loan would be amazing, doubt that would happen unfortunately

750k plus add ons, hopefully. With Russell being in the final year of his contract we were always going to struggle to get seven figures for him. That's still a lot of money for a club of our size and will go some way to reducing the debt further.

750k plus add ons, hopefully. With Russell being in the final year of his contract we were always going to struggle to get seven figures for him. That's still a lot of money for a club of our size and will go some way to reducing the debt further.

I had dreams of 1.25m + add-ons, to much FM for me...

So, assuming that we do sell Johnny, which appears inevitable and do manage to get Goodie, we should be able to field something along the lines of:

---------------Czersniak

Watson - Dillon - Souttar - Gunning

-----------Paton --- Rankin

Gauld ----- Armstrong ---- GMS

-------------- Goodie.

I'd be happy enough with that. A bit more experience an/or quality in the defence wouldn't go amiss but it's a fantastic front four.

750k is an insult of an offer. I think UTD could possibly hold out for £1,500,000 at the very least!

750k is an insult of an offer. I think UTD could possibly hold out for £1,500,000 at the very least!

Buyer's market unfortunately. If he had two or more years left on his contract then we'd be able to get a fee like that but United can't afford to let him walk away for nothing next summer (or rather are determined that he won't walk away for nothing).

Even a million would make a sizeable hole in the debt. We can play hard to get once the debt has been paid off.

750K is pretty poor given Russell's potential but given that it's the last year of his contract then we have to be careful and make sure we at least get something for him. We're not in as strong a position for negotiating a price as we were with Goodwillie so it was inevitable we'd have to compromise on the inital fee. We just have to hope Stephen Thompson has managed to get some good add ons to the deal really.

I was sure I read an offer of that amount was already rejected in the Courier the other day.

It was a £700,000 offer that was rejected, I think Derby have upped their bid by £50,000 today.

If we could get Goodwillie back on loan and our typical starting XI looked similar to what Pull My Strings suggested a few posts back then I would be much more confident about the coming the season.

I've heard on the grapevine Goodwillie's preferred option is a return to Tannadice. Surely Hearts can't be a serious option? I saw somewhere that they've yet another unpaid tax bill today. I quite like the Jambos, but what the club is up to is tantamount to cheating.

I've heard on the grapevine Goodwillie's preferred option is a return to Tannadice. Surely Hearts can't be a serious option? I saw somewhere that they've yet another unpaid tax bill today. I quite like the Jambos, but what the club is up to is tantamount to cheating.

Hopefully he remembers the way he was treated at Tynecastle and Pittodrie whilst going through his trial. All the songs and jeering could be a gamebreaker IMO.

I can't seriously see Goodwillie being 1. Allowed back up here, the wage issue alone would be a stumbling block and 2. Wanting to come up here where he will get abuse for his trial, when he can be in the anonymity of a down south club.

What trial? My recollection is that an allegation was made, he was charged and then the charge was dropped.

Anyway, I'm sure Goodie's had more than enough anonymity since he went down to Blackburn, time to make a name for himself again.

So, assuming that we do sell Johnny, which appears inevitable and do manage to get Goodie, we should be able to field something along the lines of:

---------------Czersniak

Watson - Dillon - Souttar - Gunning

-----------Paton --- Rankin

Gauld ----- Armstrong ---- GMS

-------------- Goodie.

I'd be happy enough with that. A bit more experience an/or quality in the defence wouldn't go amiss but it's a fantastic front four.

Something like that may be our line up for next season, whether its Goodwillie heading it or someone else.

I really don't like 4-5-1 even with the likes of GMS and Gauld in the team. I'd far prefer a 4-4-2 with a single defensive midfielder and Gardyne playing alongside Goodwillie/Graham/other.

BTW am I the only P&B Arab who thinks Gardyne should be given more of a chance? Didn't get much of a sniff last season.

One other thing with this starting XI, what options will we have of the bench? Don't know enough about these new signings to say.

Something like that may be our line up for next season, whether its Goodwillie heading it or someone else.

I really don't like 4-5-1 even with the likes of GMS and Gauld in the team. I'd far prefer a 4-4-2 with a single defensive midfielder and Gardyne playing alongside Goodwillie/Graham/other.

BTW am I the only P&B Arab who thinks Gardyne should be given more of a chance? Didn't get much of a sniff last season.

One other thing with this starting XI, what options will we have of the bench? Don't know enough about these new signings to say.

I was thinking the same today, I wouldn't mind seeing him get more opportunities next season. I don't remember him putting in many poor performances last season and he always looked lively and created chances when he came off the bench and the rest of the team looked bereft of ideas. He just needs to have more composure in front of goal and chip in more on the scoring front.

I hope Armstrong gets a chance to play a more central attacking midfield role more often. He's said quite a few times on the likes of Arabzone that he feels thats his best position and its where he usually played for the United and Scotland under 20s/21s. However we've tended to play him on the left or right of midfield (particularly when Mackay-Steven has been out), but he's always looked a bit more effective in those times when he's played more centrally imo.

Archived