Dundee United 2013/14 Season

I am sure that the Daily Record will still have a story tomorrow morning saying that Neil Lennon will make a late bid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

:lol:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news I see Mr Milne has been banned from Carnoustie for trying to put a womans face into a frying pan of hot fat. Don't worry Ralphie, plenty of other pubs in Angus where you can get a pint or sixteen.

I'm sure an explanation of why this post belongs on this thread will follow....

Anyway, Carnoustie is not a very civilised place.

"For those out there who are swaying on whether to buy a season ticket, I would say this. With around seven weeks until the start of the season, I will not rush out and bring in players just for the sake of it merely to encourage sales during this loyalty period, nor will I spend more than the Club can afford.

"It is important that the right players are brought in and that these are properly funded. However, I will continue to pursue players who will excite you next season and help build a structure and an ethos which will enhance Dundee United for years to come.

"I would like to have my squad settled for pre-season but I am prepared to go beyond that if it means getting the players I want for the Club. Buying your season ticket now is crucial in helping me achieve these goals.

"Let's take United forward together." - Jackie McNamara.

"For those out there who are swaying on whether to buy a season ticket, I would say this. With around seven weeks until the start of the season, I will not rush out and bring in players just for the sake of it merely to encourage sales during this loyalty period, nor will I spend more than the Club can afford.

"It is important that the right players are brought in and that these are properly funded. However, I will continue to pursue players who will excite you next season and help build a structure and an ethos which will enhance Dundee United for years to come.

"I would like to have my squad settled for pre-season but I am prepared to go beyond that if it means getting the players I want for the Club. Buying your season ticket now is crucial in helping me achieve these goals.

"Let's take United forward together." - Jackie McNamara.

Fair point made by Jackie but us as fans all get anxious awaiting new signings :D just have to wait and see and judge the man once window shuts and were midway through October lmao

^ id be delighted if we just picked up Fraser Mullen (to help our defence out) and possibly Ryan Donnelly then shut up shop till jan/next summer mate and agree with your post 100%

Agree with Stumigoo in the main part. The only disappointment for me was to see Flood go, oh and I'd ideally like to see some sort of centre-half in.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that Thompson never really cared for football, clearly his old man didn't do too well in that respect, and if he could he would probably like to get the club's debt level down to a level where he could sell it(quite who to is anybody's guess).

Agree with Stumigoo in the main part. The only disappointment for me was to see Flood go, oh and I'd ideally like to see some sort of centre-half in.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that Thompson never really cared for football, clearly his old man didn't do too well in that respect, and if he could he would probably like to get the club's debt level down to a level where he could sell it(quite who to is anybody's guess).

Had mooted takeover talks before but the debt level and ST's valuation of the club have been the main stumbling blocks plus ST isnt willing to sell it to any tom, dick or harry as he feels it would be his familys and the fans wish to sell it to the right people if he did sell it , this would avoid us going to the wall down the line for a short term fix like so many clubs have done before chsing success with money they cant afford.

He gets some unfair negativity from folk who clearly haven't seen United's book keeping and haven't a clue on how to run a football club.

ST is doing what he thinks is best for the club (long term) and his familys investments in the club so id lay of the chairman atleast hes keeping the club self reliant and out of administration and is attempting to run it the right way.

As a season ticket holder (last 5 years or so) i'd rather have the club cutting back than being put into administration in couple of years time for spending out with our means wouldn't you?

Had mooted takeover talks before but the debt level and ST's valuation of the club have been the main stumbling blocks plus ST isnt willing to sell it to any tom, dick or harry as he feels it would be his familys and the fans wish to sell it to the right people if he did sell it , this would avoid us going to the wall down the line for a short term fix like so many clubs have done before chsing success with money they cant afford.

He gets some unfair negativity from folk who clearly haven't seen United's book keeping and haven't a clue on how to run a football club. 

ST is doing what he thinks is best for the club (long term) and his familys investments in the club so id lay of the chairman atleast hes keeping the club self reliant and out of administration and is attempting to run it the right way.

As a season ticket holder (last 5 years or so) i'd rather have the club cutting back than being put into administration in couple of years time for spending out with our means wouldn't you?

Yes that's why I agreed with Stumigoo. Doesn't mean Thompson wouldn't like out, that's why I said he's trying to get the club on a stable footing. You've pretty much agreed with what I said. I'm no Thompson fan, never will be, but he's doing a reasonable job of getting the club on to a financial footing that would preserve it for years to come.

I was an ST holder for 24 years straight, but work constraints mean that is not possible now, I hope you're not indicating that because you're an ST holder that you should somehow have a more important opinion than me?

I'm impressed by how ST has managed to cut the club's debt over that last few seasons whilst we've still done very well on the pitch. I feel that some of the contractual situations may have been handled better and that's why in recent seasons we've seen players like Bauben, Gomis, Conway, Zaluska and Dixon leave without us getting a fee.

Mind you this season has surely shown us that well managed teams and not necessarily teams with the biggest budgets can be successful. Financial stability is key to our future and whatever ST's motivation for this is then he seems to be doing a good job. I hope Arabs will give him and the club tangible support by putting their hands in their pockets.

I'm impressed by how ST has managed to cut the club's debt over that last few seasons whilst we've still done very well on the pitch. I feel that some of the contractual situations may have been handled better and that's why in recent seasons we've seen players like Bauben, Gomis, Conway, Zaluska and Dixon leave without us getting a fee.

Mind you this season has surely shown us that well managed teams and not necessarily teams with the biggest budgets can be successful. Financial stability is key to our future and whatever ST's motivation for this is then he seems to be doing a good job. I hope Arabs will give him and the club tangible support by putting their hands in their pockets.

Here Here iam not ST's biggest fan but i can see where hes coming from and why hes doing it and i would rather he did what hes doing than have the club go tits up :D

Therein lies the problem though. Attendances won`t get any higher & may even drop again next season. I`ve already stated my own case, but I`ve a couple of pals who`ve almost given up Tannadice due to the expense of having a young family. Any of my pals who do have season tickets almost exclusively don`t have kids. Before anyone says yeah but it`s cheap for kids to get in, I mean the expense of having kids in general while in a working class job.

Archived