Dundee United 2013/14 Season

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was injured for the first month or so. Don't know what they see in him :D

I was surprised they went for him too after last season but sometimes footballers can thrive in certain environments. Look at most Hibs fans reactions to John Rankin signing for us. Most of their fans had written him off as hopeless and were glad to get rid of him, but he went on to be a standout player in his first season with us and big part in helping us get 4th place that year and after a second season hindered, he's become a vital part of our team yet again. A lot of fans weren't unhappy to see Douglas go but he seems to be doing alright in Poland.

It's possible that Douglas has found the right environment in which to properly develop in now. I certainly have no ill will against him and hope to see him go on and do well.

As a Jambo I must admit I'm slightly jealous of United at the moment.

Great club.

Jambos are suffering at the moment given all that has happened with their club; it will all come good again for you guys mate.

Like other Arabs I'm just living in the moment; hopefully it will last a season or two but it's at the stage where you can't wait for the game to come rolling around. Hopefully we can also produce some talent that will contribute to the national team for a few seasons to come.

Jambos are suffering at the moment given all that has happened with their club; it will all come good again for you guys mate.

Like other Arabs I'm just living in the moment; hopefully it will last a season or two but it's at the stage where you can't wait for the game to come rolling around. Hopefully we can also produce some talent that will contribute to the national team for a few seasons to come.

I know the feeling of being impatient for matches to come around, I just hope it's not too long until that feeling returns at Tynecastle. Obviously we have had it mostly good in relative terms in recent years and we are sadly paying for that now, but Dundee United are proof of what can be achieved without splashing £10,000 a week on utter shite like David Obua.

I would love to see players like Gauld etc stay in Scotland for as long as possible as it improves the overall quality of our league and like you Granny D, I hope they go on to play well for the national team.

Like I have already touched upon, our problem at the moment is a telling lack of experienced heads at this level. Many of our youngsters have shown at U19/U20 level that they are, like United, among the best in the country, but they simply can't be expected to all be promoted to the first team and perform week in, week out, as our situation has demanded.

It would have been interesting to see how a team made up of our current young players like McGhee, McHattie, Holt, Walker and Paterson would do with certain members of our 2011-12 cup winning squad, such as Webster, Zaliukas, Black, Suso and Skacel, rather than just Jamie Hamill and Ryan Stevenson and a load of other untested kids.

Watching Dundee United at the moment is like watching Thistle at home last season. I'm not convinced Thistle would have won the 1st Division if Jackie McNamara had stayed with us (Archie really sorted our away form) but the guy clearly likes his teams to attack and he seems to have a liberating influence on a teams offensive mentality.

What changes do Arabs expect too see and would like to see over the coming transfer window?

Despite all the speculation I don't think we will lose any of our key players; I would hope any bids for the youngsters, if they were sufficiently attractive, would have an immediate loan-back clause. If Gunning doesn't want to stay and signs a pre-season contract with another SPL club then I'd like to see him go, however hopefully he will want to stay and be part of what we are doing.

I assume Gardyne's loan will be extended and Goodwillie will go. Not sure about Erskine; he's not featuring at the moment but may be needed as the season progresses. I assume he's not too happy about his lack of opportunities but was interviewed by Alba recently and seemed reasonably upbeat.

Any other potential ins or outs?

What changes do Arabs expect too see and would like to see over the coming transfer window?

Despite all the speculation I don't think we will lose any of our key players; I would hope any bids for the youngsters, if they were sufficiently attractive, would have an immediate loan-back clause. If Gunning doesn't want to stay and signs a pre-season contract with another SPL club then I'd like to see him go, however hopefully he will want to stay and be part of what we are doing.

I assume Gardyne's loan will be extended and Goodwillie will go. Not sure about Erskine; he's not featuring at the moment but may be needed as the season progresses. I assume he's not too happy about his lack of opportunities but was interviewed by Alba recently and seemed reasonably upbeat.

If Goodwillie goes as I expect him to, it leaves us desperately short of cover up front, so I'd expect Gardyne back at Tannadice for that reason alone. Don't really expect much movement at all, Wilson I expect to extend. Summer could well see a fair bit of movement at Tannadice though.

Erskine's injuries have been the only thing keeping from at least making sub appearances. McNamara clearly rates him as he's been keen to introduce him as often as possible when he's been injury free. I don't think it's likely he'll end up getting punted on loan. I'd be surprised if Wilson doesn't get a contract extension to the end of the season in the next couple of weeks though. There's apparently meant to be some more contract extension news to be announced this week. I'd love it if it was Rankin signed up beyond this season.

Unfortunately I expect to hear Gunning's position sorted out in the near future though. Can't see him staying past the end of his current contract.

If Goodwillie goes as I expect him to, it leaves us desperately short of cover up front, so I'd expect Gardyne back at Tannadice for that reason alone. Don't really expect much movement at all, Wilson I expect to extend. Summer could well see a fair bit of movement at Tannadice though.

I don't really agree with you there. We'll still have Graham and Ciftci as well as Oyenuga competing for the striker's role and in the unlikely event that those three are out with injuries or suspensions then Dow will probably end up getting pushed up into the striker position. It wouldn't be ideal but he did play as a striker in the under 20s for a while and so long as he was able to keep the attacking three of Armstrong, GMS and Gauld involved in the game then we would perhaps be able to cope. Although it would very probably spell an end to four goal scoring sprees each week. :P

I just don't see Gardyne coming back to play a part in the team anymore. Do we have any strikers in our youth ranks showing any promise at the moment. If we get hit with a serious striker shortage at some point after christmas then there's always the chance McNamara will repeat what he did with Gauld and Souttar last season and pick a young player and throw them into the team rather than turn to Gardyne or Dow.

Oyenuga :lol:

Yeah I know, grasping at straws there a little. Still, what if he actually turns out to be not completely awful?

I still don't see Gardyne coming back to us once Goodwillie leaves. Even last season McNamara was always taking him off early and didn't seem to really fancy him and before he went out to Killie on loan this season he was struggling to even get a place on the bench.

Oyenuga :lol:

To be fair none of us really have any evidence to tell if he is going to be any good or not, will reserve judgement until he plays a few games.

January should be quiet on the transfer front (hopefully for a few of our players). Goodie can go, Gardyne I am not sure about, Erskine will probably stay but I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets a wee loan out. Rankin needs signed up again, Wilson I can take or leave but he will probably get until the end of the season, and Gunning will probably leave in the summer but I would not be utterly devastated at that news.

To be fair none of us really have any evidence to tell if he is going to be any good or not, will reserve judgement until he plays a few games.

Where's the fun in reserving judgement? The proper course is to make unwarranted speculations, boast about them if proven right and conveniently ignore them if proven wrong. :lol: A wee bit like the MSM.

Previously I would have agreed with Gardyne coming back but for me the important thing now is to sign and retain players that can fit in with the system we are playing. I don't think Gardyne could do that and I'm not sure about Oyenuga. If (when) Goodwillie goes we should bring in another striker who can play the role we want from Ciftci and Graham (I'm not suggesting their identical in style but can both play in the style/formation McNamara wants).

No need for more strikers, or bringing Gardyne back. JMc obviously saw something in Oyenuga to give him a long-ish term contract, so in the unlikely event Ciftci and Graham are both out I'm sure he could fill in. Or as said earlier there are other attacking players who could play right across the front in an emergency.

I’d very extremely surprised if we still had GMS come February. I don’t want to see him leave but we have to look at the length of his contract, unless he is willing to extend before the end of the window I think the club should be looking to cash in on anything £1m plus, this will give us enough money to hold on to the rest of the team.

I’d love to see the team stay together for at least 18-24 months however it seems so unrealistic now and I imagine that United will do everything in their power to hold onto Gauld, I imagine someone will go and I imagine JMc and ST will accept bid for GMS and Armstrong. This is all pure speculation on my part, however I think United will be looking to keep the younger lads, unless of course teams offer money we can’t refuse.

Also we have to remember that the club have already accepted a bid for John Souttar, if IRCC it was a measly £400k, if that bid was deemed acceptable only months ago and the club also said that the sale of John would be used to cover the signing of Gomis…??? Surely the club will be looking to make some money just now.

I think Gardyne and Miller will be off, as will Goodie.

Gunning and Rankin to sign a new deals.

I’d expect a back-up for Robertson to come in and another striker possibly.

If Gunning does go i'd like another centre half brought in. Dillon doesn't fill me with confidence and while Butcher has looked ok in the little i've seen of him he doesn't strike me as being a commanding presence. There have been rumours on here about Watson moving inside but he's our best RB and i wouldn't want him to shift. Anyway, in Jackie we trust. I'm sure he'll pull another couple of rabbits out of the hat.

Archived