Dundee United 2013/14 Season

That's a hell of a lot of potential movement peeeeel! Not sure if we would sign another fullback, or another striker unless people leave, GMS and Armstrong I think will both stay until the summer and then we would lose them for maybe half or what we could have got for them. GMS has been quoted as saying he wants this current team to stay together as long as possible (I know the club has final say on offers) but I think both he and Armstrong will hang about a bit longer. I do actually want Gunning to stay but I'm not sure he personally is desperate, no doubt he could make more money elsewhere.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a hell of a lot of potential movement peeeeel! Not sure if we would sign another fullback, or another striker unless people leave, GMS and Armstrong I think will both stay until the summer and then we would lose them for maybe half or what we could have got for them. GMS has been quoted as saying he wants this current team to stay together as long as possible (I know the club has final say on offers) but I think both he and Armstrong will hang about a bit longer. I do actually want Gunning to stay but I'm not sure he personally is desperate, no doubt he could make more money elsewhere.

I think that's my pessimism coming through. I, like anyone else would love this team to stay together for as long as possible. If we play our cards right we could be very financially sound in a few years.

Does anyone know when Armstrong’s contract runs out?

If Gunning does go i'd like another centre half brought in. Dillon doesn't fill me with confidence and while Butcher has looked ok in the little i've seen of him he doesn't strike me as being a commanding presence. There have been rumours on here about Watson moving inside but he's our best RB and i wouldn't want him to shift. Anyway, in Jackie we trust. I'm sure he'll pull another couple of rabbits out of the hat.

Butcher is very commanding.

I'd like to think GMS and Armstrong will sign new deals like the other lads. They do seem to be enjoying playing in this team at the moment and they could sign up for better money in the meantime, knowing that even with an extra year on their deal any realistic potential suitors, ie lower EPL/Championship, would not be put off. After all, if they signed an extension and the asking price went up from 750k to £1.5m that's still pocket change down south.

With an extra year playing with a hopefully successful Utd side they could earn themselves a better move, it'd be win-win all round.

I would hope we have a chance at European football next season and with the existing squad that would be something to look forward to. I would hope the opportunity of playing in Europe with a talented squad would be an incentive for players to stay.

Not only would the experience be good but the possibility of reaching the group stages would surely be something that would raise a player's profile and help get a decent move.

We have been pretty unlucky the last few years in Europe and have drawn one of the toughest teams it was possible to be drawn against every time. We must be due to get the Faroese cup runners up next time.

I would agree with the exception of Slask Wroclaw. It wasn't the toughest tie we could have gotten on paper and in the end we should have beaten them. That second leg against Slask summed up Houston's last couple of years tbh. We had started the game with a point to prove and they'd crumbled within the first five minutes. Yet on each occasion we got in front, knowing that away goals knocked us out, we sat back and gave them license to have a go at us and surprise surprise, they went and scored a wonder goal.

I would agree with the exception of Slask Wroclaw. It wasn't the toughest tie we could have gotten on paper and in the end we should have beaten them.

While we should've won, they've gone on to have a few very good seasons. They were definitely a tough draw, we just failed to put them away.

While we should've won, they've gone on to have a few very good seasons. They were definitely a tough draw, we just failed to put them away.

They were a team on the up when we played them, I just wouldn't say they were nearly as tough an opposition as AEK Athens or Dynamo Moscow, especially the latter.

If you can keep the team you have for 1 more season you could do special things.

But we're in Scottish football so we can't, it sucks but thats the way it goes. Out of our current team I forsee Gunning and Mackay-Steven being away by next season with the latter being sold in the summer for fee similar to Johnny Russell's. I'm a bit confident that if we offer Armstrong a 1-2 year contract extension with a decent wage increase then he'll sign and stay on for another year in order to develop so he can get a move and be ready for it like Russell was.

Mackay-Steven, imo, has developed as much as he ever will in the Scottish Premiership and as much as I'd love to see him be prepared to sing on for longer, he would probably be better moving on in the summer, especially if he wants to go further in his international career and sadly, I think he knows it.

I would agree with the exception of Slask Wroclaw. It wasn't the toughest tie we could have gotten on paper and in the end we should have beaten them. That second leg against Slask summed up Houston's last couple of years tbh. We had started the game with a point to prove and they'd crumbled within the first five minutes. Yet on each occasion we got in front, knowing that away goals knocked us out, we sat back and gave them license to have a go at us and surprise surprise, they went and scored a wonder goal.

Yeah we should have beaten Slask, although I think they went on to win their league that season. It also seemed a feature of the Houston era for teams to pull out an absolute worldy into the top corner in games we were dominating, I lost count of how many times that happened.

Mackay-Steven, imo, has developed as much as he ever will in the Scottish Premiership and as much as I'd love to see him be prepared to sing on for longer, he would probably be better moving on in the summer, especially if he wants to go further in his international career and sadly, I think he knows it.

GMS will know the pitfalls of moving and potentially failing. Doesn't mean he will be with us for ever but he may want the opportunity to achieve greater consistency and win something before moving on. He is a player that could shine on the European stage as part of a decent team.

He has certainly developed as a player this season and has adapted to the JMc system. Fewer YouTube moments but beginning to show just how good and effective a player he can be.

Armstrong extends according to United's Twitter feed. Details to follow.

If true, fantastic news! Imo Armstrong is 6-12 months of being ready for a big move. I think he will likely move for a big fee in the summer if this is true. Hopefully GS gives him a few more caps and add to his value.

I would be very surprised if GMS doesn't follow suit now, happy days.

He is a different player this season, has really added alot to his game. Not only is he scoring regularly but his finishing has been fantastic, he is working much harder too and looks physically stronger.

Not overly fussed about Gunning, if he doesn't want to stay then get a few quid while we can.

Archived