Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Aye Kalvenes was great too. I wasn't able to go to through to Tynecastle for that game against Aberdeen as I was meant to be studying for my exams but I remember going mental when I heard he scored from the radio. He was cheated out of a penalty when he was in on goal in the final against the Zombie's predecessors as well. He came back to see us for a visit a couple of years back now. It's good to see he looks back on his time here fondly.

That semi against Aberdeen was epic. I was living in Edinburgh at the time so we had a night on the sauce after the game :-)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say Dixon is the best left back we've had in the past decade or so. However, if Robertson continues his fine form then he will soon take that accolade. What a lot of people need to consider though is how effective Dixon could be if he was playing in this current team. He didn't have as much licence to get forward as Robertson does now but still managed to support our attacking play very effectively.

I would have said that Dixon's been our best left back since Malpas, prior to this season. Kalvenes was a better defender but Dixon was a perfectly good defender and a cracking attacker. Robertson's a phenomenon though. Something very wrong if he isn't in the next Scotland squad and I'd be surprised if we still have him this time next year. This really is a time to savour: Robertson, Souttar, Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci. Oooooft.

Garbage.

Dixon wasn't very good at defending, and never stopped crosses. Same with every other full back other than Robertson it seems.

Its no surprise our defence is at good as its ever been for absolute years, with players like Robertson in there. Class player. Can't remember a bad game from him.

Dixon wasn't very good at defending, and never stopped crosses. Same with every other full back other than Robertson it seems.

Its no surprise our defence is at good as its ever been for absolute years, with players like Robertson in there. Class player. Can't remember a bad game from him.

Dixon was decent at defending, even saw him slot in at CB with no problem up in Inverness one night. We'll agree to disagree.

That's just pish. Watson, Wilson, Dillon, Neilson and Dixon were/are all perfectly decent at stopping crosses. Douglas is the only full back we've had in recent years who gave his man too much space that I can remember.

I would have said that Dixon's been our best left back since Malpas, prior to this season. Kalvenes was a better defender but Dixon was a perfectly good defender and a cracking attacker. Robertson's a phenomenon though. Something very wrong if he isn't in the next Scotland squad and I'd be surprised if we still have him this time next year. This really is a time to savour: Robertson, Souttar, Gauld, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci. Oooooft.

I think Erik Pederson might have something to say about that!

I think Erik Pederson might have something to say about that!

Aye, Erik was alright. He was a better right back than left back and wasn't that great going forward. I think Erik benefitted from the cult status, much like Gomis, where his reputation outstripped his actual ability.

Gauld has won the young player of the month award for november so it's a clean sweep for United for that month. It's the very least he deserved for his efforts. I've lost count of how many goals he created for us last month. It's a fantastic time to be an arab. :)

Sorry, you're waffling. Dixon was easily a good enough defender for us. Was particularly good at covering space left by central defenders being pulled out of position.

Our defensive record is particularly good because we pose so much threat with counter-attacks, and two good protectors in Rankin and Paton. Robertson has been all-round impressive, but it helps to be surrounded by a balanced, effective team.

Gauld has won the young player of the month award for november so it's a clean sweep for United for that month. It's the very least he deserved for his efforts. I've lost count of how many goals he created for us last month. It's a fantastic time to be an arab. :)

Had to be Gauld, so deserved.

Also noticed that we had 9 Jocks starting yesterday, with 5 more on the bench. Armageddon.

Archived