Let's All Laugh At Celtic Thread

Brilliant letter from Legia.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football//news/article/26854/9415779/champions-league-legia-warsaw-make-celtic-plea

Of course Celtic will ignore it, but it really does in one place get across all the points about the hypocrisy we all know they've spouted over the years about the type of club they are.

Surely Celtic will be embarrassed at the next candle lit vigil etc after having made "opportunistic use of legal loopholes" to rob a small club of their deserved place :-)

Well done Legia!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football//news/article/26854/9415779/champions-league-legia-warsaw-make-celtic-plea

Of course Celtic will ignore it, but it really does in one place get across all the points about the hypocrisy we all know they've spouted over the years about the type of club they are.

Surely Celtic will be embarrassed at the next candle lit vigil etc after having made "opportunistic use of legal loopholes" to rob a small club of their deserved place :-)

Well done Legia!

No club in their right mind anywhere would agree to that request, and this whole saga from Legia is merely an attempt to distract their own fans from the monumental mess they've made of this. If they actually think for a second that Celtic, or anyone else for that matter, would agree to that or that they have a chance of being reinstated then they're living in a fantasy world. The "opportunistic use of legal loopholes" bit is nonsense as well.

No club in their right mind anywhere would agree to that request, and this whole saga from Legia is merely an attempt to distract their own fans from the monumental mess they've made of this. If they actually think for a second that Celtic, or anyone else for that matter, would agree to that or that they have a chance of being reinstated then they're living in a fantasy world. The "opportunistic use of legal loopholes" bit is nonsense as well.

That's precisely what it is though isn't it.

A genuine paperwork error that had zero effect on the sporting contest.

Obviously as a business Celtic need to take advantage of anything they can, but it's most definitely not 'The Celtic Way' or in fitting with Celtic's representation of themselves as anything more than a money making machine.

If nothing else, it'll hopefully make it harder for them to spin that line in future.

Well done Legia!

This has nothing to do with Celtic and the decision had nothing to do with Celtic. A completely pointless act by Legia. If they were to plead their case they need to do it to the right people not another football team.

That's precisely what it is though isn't it.

A genuine paperwork error that had zero effect on the sporting contest.

Obviously as a business Celtic need to take advantage of anything they can, but it's most definitely not 'The Celtic Way' or in fitting with Celtic's representation of themselves as anything more than a money making machine.

If nothing else, it'll hopefully make it harder for them to spin that line in future.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that it was Celtic who made this decision.

What it actually is is Legia breaching the rules, whether or not it was intentional is irrelevant, and being given the punishment which the rules state they must be given. Ultimately, Legia are being punished rather than Celtic taking advantage of this decision. That it allows Celtic back into the champions league is a side note, first and foremost this is to punish Legia for breaking the rules and I would have hoped they'd be able to take that punishment in a dignified manner rather than throwing the toys out the pram.

I'm sorry but I really can't see anything Celtic could have done differently in this scenario.

Just a thought and I don't want to rain on the embarrassing situ but has anyone got any evidence it was Celtic that first complained and dobbed them in.

UEFA themselves. The official allocated to the game spotted that Legia fielded a player clearly banned from playing due to suspension. UEFA tanks started rolling at that point and the rule for that infringement is quite clear - yer oot!

You can ignore all the usual pope style conspiracy claims.

Also it was only the second leg that was over turned the first result stood but Celtics away goal meant they won on aggregate. Thems the breaks.

I have to be honest here, and while Celtic have fallen in a barrel of shite and come out smelling of roses, if I were Lawell, I'd politely respond to Legia's 'begging letter' saying 'really sorry for you and all that, but it really isn't our fault, so erm, nae' luck guys'.

If it was St Mirren getting gubbed in the Scottish Cup quarters by, let's say Livingston, then it transpired they'd made an unfortunate error - if Stewart Gilmour subsequently said 'aye right enough, just a silly error, we'll let Livvy through to the semis' - I would personally drive to Paisley to give him a short, sharp slap in the ashet.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that it was Celtic who made this decision.

What it actually is is Legia breaching the rules, whether or not it was intentional is irrelevant, and being given the punishment which the rules state they must be given. Ultimately, Legia are being punished rather than Celtic taking advantage of this decision. That it allows Celtic back into the champions league is a side note, first and foremost this is to punish Legia for breaking the rules and I would have hoped they'd be able to take that punishment in a dignified manner rather than throwing the toys out the pram.

I'm sorry but I really can't see anything Celtic could have done differently in this scenario.

Of course it wasn't Celtic who made the decision.

The punishment though is completely disproportionate, so I feel incredibly sorry for Legia.

And from what I understand Celtic could have agreed to waive the punishment.

I totally accept that most clubs wouldn't do that, but Celtic - according to them - aren't most clubs.

If they'd done a 'Di Cannio' here, they could have lived on the elevated morale plateau they purport to inhabit for years.

What utter emotional drivel ... but coming from a diddy not entirely unexpected.

From the guy who couldn't understand that Celtic getting an extra £20m gave them any advantage over the rest of the SPL splitting £2m between them.

:D :D :D

If they'd done a 'Di Cannio' here, they could have lived on the elevated morale plateau they purport to inhabit for years.

... and then fcuked it all up by flashing neo-Nazi salutes and being shite managers of Sunderland.

... and then fcuked it all up by flashing neo-Nazi salutes and being shite managers of Sunderland.

True :-)

But even at the time he was doing that for Lazio people were still harking back to that piece of amazing sportsmanship.

Shows the impact one selfless gesture can make.

I never said it didn't give us an advantage ... clearly you have problems reading. I stated it made f*ck all difference as the smaller teams would never close the gap to us in the league anyhow; regardless of whether we received that cash or not ... As for the cups and one off games .. it surely better that we have our resources concentrated elsewhere with our best players possibly rested for more important games ...

To claim it's calamitous for Scottish football is simply tosh and gerrymandering to the gullible in the gallery.

If the above is all you managed to get from my scribblings, you might want to sue your English teacher.

I don't think there's any doubt that the more level the playing field, the better the competition.

Ergo giving the already richest club an extra massive boost to their income has to make a difference. Can't really believe any sane person wouldn't get that.

And although it's unlikely any single other team could put together a consistent enough run to actually win the league, I'll bet we all watched you struggle in Iceland, get hammered by Legia and thought... yup, weakest Celtic team in years, when we play them now we've got a chance to get 1 or 3 points.

At the moment, Celtic definitely have the least impressive and fear-inducing squad they've had since the early 80s.

The extra money from the Champions/Europa league, plus the Forster income, I would imagine will see that change.

Of course it wasn't Celtic who made the decision.

The punishment though is completely disproportionate, so I feel incredibly sorry for Legia.

And from what I understand Celtic could have agreed to waive the punishment.

I totally accept that most clubs wouldn't do that, but Celtic - according to them - aren't most clubs.

From whom or where did you get that understanding

Is there a mechanism to allow this to happen, or does Celtic tell Uefa they don't agree with their decision and will sort it out with Legia and let Uefa know?

From whom or where did you get that understanding

Is there a mechanism to allow this to happen, or does Celtic tell Uefa they don't agree with their decision and will sort it out with Legia and let Uefa know?

Was pretty sure I read this around about the time the story broke. I get most of my sports news on the Sporting Life site... and of course, Pie and Bovril :D

All I have done is point out the difference is not what is being claimed by some individuals.

Absolute bollocks.

You've been claiming quite explicitly that as the gap is already insurmountable, no additional income for Celtic can make a difference.

Stop telling lies.

It makes no difference to you closing that gap or being able to win the league. In the cup it's balanced by the fact we will rest key players .. What the f**k is so hard to grasp .. you're starting to sound like Tedi grasping at pedantic straws ...

You're stating it's calamitous, I'm merely pointing out it makes no difference in reality ....

Stop being a complete fud.

Edit: At least you've dropped defending your "it's calamitous" claims and now were down to "makes a difference" ... Exactly what the difference though is a "hellva ambiguous".

I've not dropped it at all.

I'll absolutely maintain that it's calamitous for Scottish football to give the already biggest, wealthiest club a further £20m.

What does it change in reality .. nothing much .. bit like your feeble argument.

Would someone else win the league ... No ... check.

Is it likely other teams will still pump us out the cup because we're in the Champions league and rest our key players .. YES ... check

Is there any real change in what will occur over the season .. NO .. check.

Calamitous you having a laugh !! :lol: :lol:

Look, we have a fundamental difference in outlook here.

I like the football I watch week in, week out, to be close, tight and have an uncertain outcome. For this to happen, clubs really need to be operating along broadly similar financial lines.

You clearly don't see it this way. You like your football to feature utterly grotesque imbalances between sides which are ostensibly competing for the same prizes in the same competitions. Indeed you welcome it as this imbalance gets stretched yet further.

I don't see us reconciling these differences.