Motherwell FC Summer Transfer Thread

Paul Slane join Kilmarnock pre-contract

Paul Slane's mental. He made that up, for some reason. He doesn't have a contract (on account of the fact that he's mental and injured) and therefore can't sign a pre-contract.

If we're after Samson, Hollis might move on.

If you are after Samson, I'd imagine a fair few fans might as well. Terrible drop in quality.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was strange that Hollis wasn't on the bench against County and that we brought the young lad on instead. I don't think Randolph will play Sunday either tbh, it does seems strange to have him paraded about Birmingham before he's actually left Motherwell. McCall also alluded to giving some of the other lads a game against St Johnstone so I think you might see Hollis or Stewart playing.

Hollis was injured on Sunday.

Paul Slane's mental. He made that up, for some reason. He doesn't have a contract (on account of the fact that he's mental and injured) and therefore can't sign a pre-contract.

If you are after Samson, I'd imagine a fair few fans might as well. Terrible drop in quality.

You are going to get this a lot, Well fans.

He is a competent SPL goalkeeper. Kept the same number of clean sheets as Randolph last season (the most in the SPL outside the OF).

Anyone we get is going to be a drop in quality from Randolph, I rate Samson as one of the better SPL keepers.

He is pretty good tbh. Last few weeks for us he's been poor. But IMO that's because his minds elsewhere.

I actually think his kicking is one of the best in the league. One of the best shot stoppers as well. Pretty poor from crosses and at free kicks.

Good signing for Well overall.

I think Hollis will be No1 next season regardless...i'd be quite happy with that.

I don't mind Hollis actually. He had a bit of a mare against Ross County in the 3-2 win when he came on in the second half, and is a bit on the small side for a goalie these days but a decent shot stopper imo.

I think Samson would be a better choice though, but if Hollis stayed then I think he would do fine.

I thought it was strange that Hollis wasn't on the bench against County and that we brought the young lad on instead. I don't think Randolph will play Sunday either tbh, it does seems strange to have him paraded about Birmingham before he's actually left Motherwell. McCall also alluded to giving some of the other lads a game against St Johnstone so I think you might see Hollis or Stewart playing.

I think it will be a weakened line-up for St Johnstone. I don't think Randolph or Law will play. Hammell might be on the bench too. I expect Ojamaa to be back and Higdon to stay in to try and get more goals but hopefully we will see more than 10 minutes of McHugh since we just gave him a new 2 year deal. I would also rest Hutchy just because he always looks on the verge of being injured and this game is meaningless for us.

Hollis

Kerr Ramsden Cummins Zaine

Higginbotham Carswell Hateley McFadden

Ojamaa Higdon

Assuming no injuries and we aren't absolutely shite McHugh to come on at 60 minutes for a striker and McFadden to be subbed in the last minute for Omar Daly.

I think Hollis will be No1 next season regardless...i'd be quite happy with that.

Just out of a matter of interest Al on what do you base this?

Personally I would be very worried if Hollis started as no1 next year! I'm all for loyalty to players but he just does not fill me with confidence!

Just out of a matter of interest Al on what do you base this?

Personally I would be very worried if Hollis started as no1 next year! I'm all for loyalty to players but he just does not fill me with confidence!

Pretty much just the opposite of what you're saying really, I haven't seen anything that's worried me. Albeit that's as limited as it is for anyone, given how little he's played. McCall has always seemed to speak in a way that suggests he has a bit of faith in him though.

I guess a more specific opinion would be that we signed Ruddy to be No1, regardless of who else we had. We signed Randolph to be No1, regardless of who else we had. I just don't think it will be as cut and dried as that if we sign Samson.

Up for grabs would probably be a better way to put it.

Hollis has done well enough when called on - the Celtic game in particular could have been even more of a doing had it not been for him. TBH I've not seen enough of Samson to judge him but he seems reasonably solid from what I've been able to see.

Ultimately neither Hollis or Samson will be in the same league as Randolph, but we've been incredibly flukey with our past two goalkeepers so it's not a stretch to imagine us coming back down to earth with a bump.

I just hope the chat about us looking at the likes of Tade proves to be bullshit, part of the reason we've been so successful over recent years has been because we've generally brought players in from outside the SPL (Higdon aside). If the Lawson and Samson deals come off I can still see us picking up a couple of randoms from League 1.

20130514-randolph-shirt-close101-821359_

Randolph officially signs for Birmingham. Best of luck to him, been a pleasure to have a keeper his quality between the sticks for the last few years. Genuinely think he can make the step up to the top level like John Ruddy but he'll have to prove himself in the Championship first. Also don't be surprised if he establishes himself as Ireland number 1 now that he's at a more fashionable club than Motherwell.

They'll have to change the colours, the Pink Panther can't wear a green jersey it's just wrong :P

Birmingham seem to be heavily investing in SPL players so far. That's Randolph and Shinnie, with a reported interest in McGowan too

Ditto. In any game he's played he's looked be a good shot stopper but thats it. Not the biggest keeper in the world and he doesn't look at all confident when coming out for high balls. No harm to the lad but I'll be surprised if we see him in the first team in anything other than an emergency.

A good shot stopper is the bare minimum you should expect from someone who is paid money to play in goals

I always think it's ultimate bit of damning with faint praise that one. "Good Shot Stopper" = "Shites himself with cross balls and can't kick" :)

It's a totally pointless thing to say. How many goalkeepers would make it if they were considered to be a shit shot stopper

It didn't hamper Stevie Woods' chances of a game with us :)

Archived