The East Fife Thread

I don’t want this to come across as a dig at anyone, it’s something I’m genuinely interested to know. What else would you like to see the club doing to promote themselves?

Social media is now by far and away the quickest & easiest way to reach a large audience from which we do provide updates/news through twitter, Facebook & the club website. LinkedIn was set up recently as another avenue by which to reach people/companies.

We have already have a link with local schools through the Active Schools programme. All primary & secondary schools in the area were offered a parent & child season ticket at the start of the season, free of charge, that they could distribute as they wish. Sadly, very few schools took up this offer...

I’ve been doing a lot of the updates for the club website & social media recently, as a volunteer, & try to cover as much as possible but I’m keen to hear suggestions/ideas from on other means/ways to reach people & promote the club. Likewise if there’s something’s else you would like to see/hear about...

53 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

Letting our better players join our league rivals isn't exactly going to shift season tickets is it? Zero ambition and nothing will change under current ownership! Brutal

I think it’s not a case of not being ambition,  If you have a player out of contract and say you offered him 300 a week part time  or a club say the Rovers offered 600 week full  time it’s a no brainer, You can only offer what you can afford surely or do you want the East Fife board to offer silly money.

Based on last seasons perfomances I don’t think our beloved vice captain would be any great loss. He seems to have lost 2 yards of pace and was at the heart of a defence that lost goals from nearly every corner that came into our box. Highly unlikely in today’s  footballing economy any part time club will pay a fee for players. You can’t blame the manager for making wholesale changes as nearly every player let him and the fans down more often than not. Looks like all the players offered deals will take up other options, this may be down to the Darren Young factor or better deals being offered. The club can’t really come out and offer any speculation on signing targets so well just have to be patient. Players ,and managers will be taking a well deserved holiday so any transfer dealings could be on hold. Darren described the transfer market as very difficult as a lot of clubs chasing the same kind of players, invetably it usually comes down to who pays best, so well be way down the pecking order in that department.

17 minutes ago, landerson1990 said:

I don’t want this to come across as a dig at anyone, it’s something I’m genuinely interested to know. What else would you like to see the club doing to promote themselves?

Social media is now by far and away the quickest & easiest way to reach a large audience from which we do provide updates/news through twitter, Facebook & the club website. LinkedIn was set up recently as another avenue by which to reach people/companies.

We have already have a link with local schools through the Active Schools programme. All primary & secondary schools in the area were offered a parent & child season ticket at the start of the season, free of charge, that they could distribute as they wish. Sadly, very few schools took up this offer...

I’ve been doing a lot of the updates for the club website & social media recently, as a volunteer, & try to cover as much as possible but I’m keen to hear suggestions/ideas from on other means/ways to reach people & promote the club. Likewise if there’s something’s else you would like to see/hear about...

I think that most fans are aware and are appreciative of the work undertaken by the volunteers at EF TV  and the work they do in supporting the various club platforms.As fans , we unfortunately perhaps tend to take the work you do for granted.

Some fans have suggested that improvements can be made by interviewing new players,manager pre-match, season ticket holders etc . One group which  continually escapes is the Chairman , and the other BoD and

their respective roles.

We have a situation at Bayview where there is , shall I say, a general mis-trust between the fans and the manager. Those fans are voting with their feet and staying away. Some fans are saying the Manager is not up to the task whilst others complain about the quality of the product.

The BoD are as usual silent on the current situation. Presumably they are supportive of the Manager since they appointed him on a 2 year deal

The fanbase is ageing and diminishing in number. Local businesses are not supporting the club, with individual supporters now subscribing to sponsor the club.

Personally , I would like the Chairman to make a Statement to the local press with its main theme that your local club needs you. He could include the various Season Ticket initiatives, a review of the season past and his hopes for the season ahead,an update on club ownership, the various club platforms that exist.etc In other words - show leadership and become more pro-active.Perhaps then , more locals will take an interest in EF.

I cannot disagree that social media is the way forward, but sometimes , just sometimes, we need to take a step backwards before we can progress.

The Chairman must take the lead.

54 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Based on last seasons perfomances I don’t think our beloved vice captain would be any great loss. He seems to have lost 2 yards of pace and was at the heart of a defence that lost goals from nearly every corner that came into our box. Highly unlikely in today’s  footballing economy any part time club will pay a fee for players. You can’t blame the manager for making wholesale changes as nearly every player let him and the fans down more often than not. Looks like all the players offered deals will take up other options, this may be down to the Darren Young factor or better deals being offered. The club can’t really come out and offer any speculation on signing targets so well just have to be patient. Players ,and managers will be taking a well deserved holiday so any transfer dealings could be on hold. Darren described the transfer market as very difficult as a lot of clubs chasing the same kind of players, invetably it usually comes down to who pays best, so well be way down the pecking order in that department.

You are correct that Pagey has indeed lost 2 yards of pace.

He ,Wilkie, and Lamont were all injured the previous season and missed pre - season training. Seemed to me that none of them ever caught up with full fitness.

Could well be an impasse with Page. 

Over to Darren Young.

Agree with 100% of this ... Lamont and Wilkie won’t set the heather on fire up the road if even predict they miss a good chunk of time to injury ...
Folks need to remember that a lot of the deals won’t happen till the start of June ... regarding Pagey good luck to him and thanks for the service players come and players go

Squad for Match Day (Minus 64)

???

???, Kane, Page, Linton

???, Slattery, Docherty, ???

Smith, ???

Subs: Young?

Let's see what today brings us shall we???

13 hours ago, east fife for life said:

Letting our better players join our league rivals isn't exactly going to shift season tickets is it? Zero ambition and nothing will change under current ownership! Brutal

A few weeks ago, this was a terrible east fife team, underachieving, with no heart and poor playing style, now we are bemoaning the same players leaving the club.......

I have no issue with the current squad numbers. Typically the 'bigger' players in the lower leagues get signed up early, happens every year as bigger budget teams can cherry pick the talent on lower wages, and guys that have been playing lower level in comparison to their ability try to push on. Outside Duggan, i would argue none of our players are big fish, and i am led to believe the Duggan to Raith move has been on the cards for a while. The boy wants FT football, fair play to him, and thanks for the effort this year.

For us, its always been making use of the loan system (SPL/Champ level teams will be in pre-season before they start loaning boys out) and signing up boys that will suit the system. The football seasons not even finished yet, i wouldn't expect us to have a signed squad (nowhere even near), some teams are still deciding if they will keep their manager next year, never mind who will be playing upfront. Given young didn't really get the chance to mould the squad last year, i half expected wholesale changes, and we are getting them. I say fair enough.

If we are sitting at the end of June, without a squad i would be concerned. But this is east fife, not barca. Contract talks dont take weeks/months with agents pushing agendas. You ask the player if they fancy it, aye or no- perfect sign or move on. The squad will assemble pretty quickly, it is only the start of May!!

For boys saying they wont renew the season ticket because we dont have big signing targets, or the board hasnt set the sky high targets for the next few years... calm doon. Its local scottish football, you go along because its your team, its a day out with the mates, and it gets the weekly frustrations out. I would argue with the social media links, school links etc the current board are doing as much as i would realistically expect them to do, and with the artificial pitch, community engagement is at its highest. 

For those that just like whinging as a hobby, sea air will be good for you, get a season ticket

16 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

A few weeks ago, this was a terrible east fife team, underachieving, with no heart and poor playing style, now we are bemoaning the same players leaving the club.......

I have no issue with the current squad numbers. Typically the 'bigger' players in the lower leagues get signed up early, happens every year as bigger budget teams can cherry pick the talent on lower wages, and guys that have been playing lower level in comparison to their ability try to push on. Outside Duggan, i would argue none of our players are big fish, and i am led to believe the Duggan to Raith move has been on the cards for a while. The boy wants FT football, fair play to him, and thanks for the effort this year.

For us, its always been making use of the loan system (SPL/Champ level teams will be in pre-season before they start loaning boys out) and signing up boys that will suit the system. The football seasons not even finished yet, i wouldn't expect us to have a signed squad (nowhere even near), some teams are still deciding if they will keep their manager next year, never mind who will be playing upfront. Given young didn't really get the chance to mould the squad last year, i half expected wholesale changes, and we are getting them. I say fair enough.

If we are sitting at the end of June, without a squad i would be concerned. But this is east fife, not barca. Contract talks dont take weeks/months with agents pushing agendas. You ask the player if they fancy it, aye or no- perfect sign or move on. The squad will assemble pretty quickly, it is only the start of May!!

For boys saying they wont renew the season ticket because we dont have big signing targets, or the board hasnt set the sky high targets for the next few years... calm doon. Its local scottish football, you go along because its your team, its a day out with the mates, and it gets the weekly frustrations out. I would argue with the social media links, school links etc the current board are doing as much as i would realistically expect them to do, and with the artificial pitch, community engagement is at its highest. 

For those that just like whinging as a hobby, sea air will be good for you, get a season ticket

Far too rational a post from a East Fife fan. Definitely not enough exclamation marks. 

Inclined to agree with most of that, but I think that most of the moaning about "this terrible East Fife team" is stemming from the fact that nearly player for player, this was the same East Fife team that Naysmith put together and did so well with, we've all seen how they can/should play and most of the frustration is stemming from that, as they certainly showed none of that ability, apart from a couple of games, last season!!!

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have gotten ragdolled in the way we were by Raith last season if we still had Naysmith for example, we certainly wouldn't have lost the goals we did last season from the left hand side anyway!!!

I also agree with the current squad numbers, in fact I think this is the most we've had at this time of the pre-season for a few years, so again I wouldn't crumble about that. In fact I wouldn't expect any real moves for players until after the playoffs are out of the way but as you say Young is now on a mission to making this HIS team and on last season's showing, has a lot to prove, the grumbles are growing as he is releasing players we know and love and they will continue to grow until we see that he is bringing in players that are better or at least of equal stature to those he is letting go. Some good news early doors would go a long way to getting people off his back, hence the expectation at this early stage!!!

Yes we do use the loan system and bar a couple of examples I think Young has used it well BUT he has to get the core of the team sorted and ready to blend these loanees into. We're not daft enough to think that Young hasn't been talking to players, I'm sure some have even been tapped during last season but our manager and board play there cards so close to their chests there is not even a sniff of a rumour out there regarding signings and I think we are the only team in this division you can say that about!!!

One good known signing early doors and I think you would be amazed at how much slack the Club would instantly be given!!!

Far too rational a post from a East Fife fan. Definitely not enough exclamation marks. 

Get it roon ye, ya bawbag!!!
That do you???
Here to help!!![emoji6]

I don’t want this to come across as a dig at anyone, it’s something I’m genuinely interested to know. What else would you like to see the club doing to promote themselves?  Social media is now by far and away the quickest & easiest way to reach a large audience from which we do provide updates/news through twitter, Facebook & the club website. LinkedIn was set up recently as another avenue by which to reach people/companies.

Please don't think that anybody is having a dig at yourself or any of the efforts being made by the volunteers at the Club, you are all doing an exceptional job, our Social media profile has never been higher and the EFTV service is the best in the three lower Leagues and on par with the best of the Premier and better than rest of them!!! 

But at the end of the day, these only really provide snippets and sound bites, It has already been said elsewhere on this thread that what we need is some kind of press conference/mission statement (not a Q&A) from the Chairman!!!

If it can be shown to the fans what it is the Club is aiming for next season, even if it is only 4th place in the table, a line could then be drawn in the ground, and I'm sure that more slack would then be given to both the Club and to the manager if we knew definitely what it is the Club is actually aiming for and what it is its actually doing to achieve those aims on and off the park for the forthcoming season, but the silence is deafening!!!

Just to reiterate what folk have said, we're all thankful for all the work the volunteers do. Likewise, I agree more statements from the chairmen and more transparency as to what board members do, mission statements etc would be terrific. Feels like, Liam and Angus aside, there's a bit of a chasm between the current board and the fans. We need the fans and the board to be hand in hand.

For those didn't, couldn't or wouldn't buy The Bayview at the Stranraer game below are the Chairman's notes on the season & the plans at Bayview

Welcome to Bayview for the last game of the 2017/18 League One campaign Thank you to all our fans for the support that you have given us throughout the season. I know it's been disappointing for us not to be in the play-offs but we still managed to be safe in mid-table despite our horrendous injuries situation. We competed against the middle six but our results against the bottom sides was very poor.

The Manager [Darren Young] is well aware of this and I'm sure will work to rectify this for next season.

Preparations have already been made for pre-season and Darren is activity pursuing signing targets for a concentrated campaign. Our goal next season is as always to try and win the league. I and the board will continue to give all that we can to achieve this.

I must give a big thank you to all my Directors for the hard work, time and dedication they give to the club. Of course this is matched by the staff and the volunteers in and around the club.

I will congratulate the Player of the Year winners in advance as I'm sure that they deserved it.

We have had our first season using the all synthetic pitch and all the reports back say that it's a good surface to play on. Again thanks to the hard work off Fifers for the Community committee on and off the pitch which is enabling the community to have all year round access to a good surface to play on. Our hope is that this will bring the community closer to East Fife.

On the commercial front a huge thanks to all who sponsor the club. This is invaluable to the club's wellbeing and the day to day running of the club.

On the 2nd June this year we are having a celebration dinner  to commemorate winning the Scottish Cup in 1938, the League Cup in 1948 and 2008 Second Division championship. All these cups should be in attendance along with the  ball from the Scottish Cup win. There will be relations of the players in attendance also players from the 2008 team will be there. We would encourage fans not to miss this evening and to support the club on this occasion.

We have recently opened our restaurant for lunches and Sunday high teas. All money made from this goes to the club so every time  you use this it is helping the club so come along and enjoy you're clubs facilities.

Some of you will have noticed that we have recently received Planning permission from Fife Council for the installation of a lift. This is something that has been sadly lacking and will give access to the upstairs lounge for ALL supporters & which will hopefully encourage more use of the stadium out with match days All that is left to say is please keep on supporting the team as without you there would not be a team. Have a very good summer and hope to see you all next season.

Jim Stevenson

Chairman

Edited by LiamA

Should have added that plans are already afoot for a meet the manager, players, directors & volunteers for some time in June. The exact date will be confirmed once the pre-season friendlies have been finalised

For those didn't, couldn't or wouldn't buy The Bayview at the Stranraer game below are the Chairman's notes on the season & the plans at Bayview

Welcome to Bayview for the last game of the 2017/18 League One campaign Thank you to all our fans for the support that you have given us throughout the season. I know it's been disappointing for us not to be in the play-offs but we still managed to be safe in mid-table despite our horrendous injuries situation. We competed against the middle six but our results against the bottom sides was very poor.
The Manager [Darren Young] is well aware of this and I'm sure will work to rectify this for next season.
Preparations have already been made for pre-season and Darren is activity pursuing signing targets for a concentrated campaign. Our goal next season is as always to try and win the league. I and the board will continue to give all that we can to achieve this.
I must give a big thank you to all my Directors for the hard work, time and dedication they give to the club. Of course this is matched by the staff and the volunteers in and around the club.
I will congratulate the Player of the Year winners in advance as I'm sure that they deserved it.
We have had our first season using the all synthetic pitch and all the reports back say that it's a good surface to play on. Again thanks to the hard work off Fifers for the Community committee on and off the pitch which is enabling the community to have all year round access to a good surface to play on. Our hope is that this will bring the community closer to East Fife.
On the commercial front a huge thanks to all who sponsor the club. This is invaluable to the club's wellbeing and the day to day running of the club.
On the 2nd June this year we are having a celebration dinner  to commemorate winning the Scottish Cup in 1938, the League Cup in 1948 and 2008 Second Division championship. All these cups should be in attendance along with the  ball from the Scottish Cup win. There will be relations of the players in attendance also players from the 2008 team will be there. We would encourage fans not to miss this evening and to support the club on this occasion.
We have recently opened our restaurant for lunches and Sunday high teas. All money made from this goes to the club so every time  you use this it is helping the club so come along and enjoy you're clubs facilities.
Some of you will have noticed that we have recently received Planning permission from Fife Council for the installation of a lift. This is something that has been sadly lacking and will give access to the upstairs lounge for ALL supporters & which will hopefully encourage more use of the stadium out with match days All that is left to say is please keep on supporting the team as without you there would not be a team. Have a very good summer and hope to see you all next season.

Jim Stevenson
Chairman

That's excellent Liam, thanks for that, it may not have answered all the questions that I'm sure the fan base have, but it is definitely a start!!!
But can I ask if this was put on the website, with links to it from our various, again excellent, social media outlets???
If this was only available in the program then you are no doubt aware and intimated to, only a select few were able to view it, I'm not suggesting the national press but shouldn't something along those lines, expressed by our Chairman even be in the EFM???
We're trying to get more fans in, they are the people who need to see this sort of thing as well, not just those who bought a program on that particular day, I didn't even see that, as I was late to that game and the program boys had legged it by then[emoji1]!!!

No probs, its maybe something we can do next season as a matter of course, put the manager's & captain's comments on the interweb the week following a game. Easy done but my first thought is that there are a dozen or so annual subscribers to The Bayview that should be able to read anything in it before it goes on line. That means probably Wednesday which then makes it old hat! The post match comments are all on line before that.

With regards to EFM its up to Scott if he has space to put stuff like that in. Scott is excellent at promoting the club & I'm sure if he felt that speaking to the chairman just now was news worthy, he would do it