The East Fife Thread

Happy with that. He's not been particularly prolific outside of his first two years at Stenny by the looks of things but he's a reliable goal scorer, with a bit of height, who can play centre forward and Darren obviously knows him from his Albion Rovers days.

8 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Keeper situation half-sorted out! Thoughts Arbroath fans?

I wasn’t a fan of Gallacher at all when he was at Sons a few years back in the Championship. Did the lad Brett Long turn down a contract or was he punted? Gallacher is a definite downgrade IMO unless he’s improved a lot since his time with us. McGuigan on the other hand is a solid bit of business and he’s someone I’ve always wanted to see in a Sons shirt.

I think Gallacher is quite a big downgrade on Brett Long too. Airdrie signed Gallacher in 2018 after his year at Dumbarton and he had a pretty unfortunate start, making a couple of mistakes in the early cup games before getting a season ending injury during the second league game. He never really played for us again until January of the following season where he came into the team and was our first choice after that until the season ended in March. His performances in those games weren't particularly great either, he didn't concede too many goals but he never looked confident and was prone to the odd moment of madness. He's not a bad keeper, I've seen much worse at Airdrie over the last few years, but I certainly don't think he's an improvement on Brett Long. I suppose he keeps ending up getting pretty decent clubs, so there must be something I'm missing. 

35 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wasn’t a fan of Gallacher at all when he was at Sons a few years back in the Championship. Did the lad Brett Long turn down a contract or was he punted? Gallacher is a definite downgrade IMO unless he’s improved a lot since his time with us. McGuigan on the other hand is a solid bit of business and he’s someone I’ve always wanted to see in a Sons shirt.

Gallagher is steady enough, if you have a couple of decent centre Half s in front of him,you will be fine

On 18/05/2021 at 20:22, Big Fifer said:

GK

Gallacher

Defence

Murdoch

Higgins
DunloP

Slattery

Midfield

Denholm

Watt

Davidson

Dunsmore

Swanson

Newton

McManus

Forwards

Smith

Wallace 

Collins

McGuigan

Updated 19/05/21

Edited by WhoAmI
Spelling error

Happy with the return of McManus, I was disappointed when he left us previously, he did well last time, let’s hope he can reach that level again!!!

Never even got a sniff, played a few friendlies at start of season only I think, Towards end of season wasn't even in squad for whatever reason
Mcguigan decent signing though, Think we tried for him a few season back

Keeper situation half-sorted out! Thoughts Arbroath fans?

I honestly can't remember much of McManus, will he be seen as the Agnew replacement or is he more defensive? I make us out to be:

Gallacher

Murdoch Dunlop Higgins Slattery

Denholm Davidson McManus Swanson

Wallace McGuigan

Subs - Watt, Dunsmore, Newton, Smith, Collins

As I mentioned before, I suspect Collins might not be here for next season. I'd rather we got a meat and potatoes centre half in early to partner Higgins, a new starting left back and another keeper. Gallacher hasn't played much the past couple of years because of injury and the reviews aren't great, so hopefully we don't just go after a back-up. After that I guess we'll be looking at loans to supplement the above depending on what sort of player McManus is, to me it's only a central midfielder and a striker away from a complete side for next year and the season's nae even finished, solid work from the management team. 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

I honestly can't remember much of McManus, will he be seen as the Agnew replacement or is he more defensive? I make us out to be:

Gallacher

Denholm Davidson McManus Swanson

Wallace McGuigan

Subs - Watt, Dunsmore, Newton, Smith, Collins

As I mentioned before, I suspect Collins might not be here for next season. I'd rather we got a meat and potatoes centre half in early to partner Higgins, a new starting left back and another keeper. Gallacher hasn't played much the past couple of years because of injury and the reviews aren't great, so hopefully we don't just go after a back-up. After that I guess we'll be looking at loans to supplement the above depending on what sort of player McManus is, to me it's only a central midfielder and a striker away from a complete side for next year and the season's nae even finished, solid work from the management team. 

Agree with most of that.

Think we're looking at another keeper, a centre half and a left back plus any replacements for further departures and then it's only really one or two loanees to bulk out the squad and any potentially good players that might become available.

On the signings we've made:

I really don't know much about Gallacher and can't really remember seeing him. Reviews from other fans have been mixed to unenthusiastic but he does have a very decent 'CV' for this level. I'll reserve judgement til I see him but I don't think it'd be a bad thing to sign another keeper who's capable to challenging for the jersey rather than just a total back up, possibly a young loan keeper from a higher level?

Personally, I wasn't as impressed with McManus as most East Fife fans seemed to be during his last loan spell. Undoubtedly a very tidy player but I was never really sure what kind of centre mid he really was. He's played over 100 games for Stranraer since then so no doubt he's developed a bit. It'll be interesting to see what kind of midfield we line up with next season. Could well be Davidson and McManus as the two in the middle. Should give us a solid base to allow the more attacking players a bit more freedom.

McGuigan should be a good signing. He's the type of player we've been missing. Reading on the Stenny thread that he's best playing on the shoulder of the last defender and either looking for through balls or receiving the ball into feet to hold up and bring other players into the game. Not a million miles off Jack Hamilton's style which worked for us. Not somebody to blooter balls up towards though apparently.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Agree with most of that.

Think we're looking at another keeper, a centre half and a left back plus any replacements for further departures and then it's only really one or two loanees to bulk out the squad and any potentially good players that might become available.

On the signings we've made:

I really don't know much about Gallacher and can't really remember seeing him. Reviews from other fans have been mixed to unenthusiastic but he does have a very decent 'CV' for this level. I'll reserve judgement til I see him but I don't think it'd be a bad thing to sign another keeper who's capable to challenging for the jersey rather than just a total back up, possibly a young loan keeper from a higher level?

Personally, I wasn't as impressed with McManus as most East Fife fans seemed to be during his last loan spell. Undoubtedly a very tidy player but I was never really sure what kind of centre mid he really was. He's played over 100 games for Stranraer since then so no doubt he's developed a bit. It'll be interesting to see what kind of midfield we line up with next season. Could well be Davidson and McManus as the two in the middle. Should give us a solid base to allow the more attacking players a bit more freedom.

McGuigan should be a good signing. He's the type of player we've been missing. Reading on the Stenny thread that he's best playing on the shoulder of the last defender and either looking for through balls or receiving the ball into feet to hold up and bring other players into the game. Not a million miles off Jack Hamilton's style which worked for us. Not somebody to blooter balls up towards though apparently.

FF was very clear on the Stenny thread that lumping balls up to his head is not the kind of thing McGuigan's good at, so I can't wait for Matchday 1 for the inevitable meltdowns from the Bayview faithful when they see a 6ft+ striker not winning every header. It's the little things you miss!

Recall McManus being more the “dirty work” midfielder, I’ve a feeling he’ll be beside Swanson who is more likely to be the Aggy replacement!!!
I’m happy with McGuigan and to be fair to DY, he’s been after him since he got here, he almost signed for us two seasons ago until Stennie offered him their facilities for his soccer school and a mysterious benefactor supplied a bulging brown envelope of a signing on fee at the last minute, changing his mind!!!
And Gallagher while probably solid enough I really don’t see as an upgrade on Brett at all, I’m quite underwhelmed by him but I’m prepared to be impressed!!!
Gallagher
Dunsmore McManus Swanson Watt
Wallace McGuigan
Subs - Newton, Smith, Collins, Davidson, Denholm

Has Davidson ever played LB???

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Recall McManus being more the “dirty work” midfielder, I’ve a feeling he’ll be beside Swanson who is more likely to be the Aggy replacement!!!
I’m happy with McGuigan and to be fair to DY, he’s been after him since he got here, he almost signed for us two seasons ago until Stennie offered him their facilities for his soccer school and a mysterious benefactor supplied a bulging brown envelope of a signing on fee at the last minute, changing his mind!!!
And Gallagher while probably solid enough I really don’t see as an upgrade on Brett at all, I’m quite underwhelmed by him but I’m prepared to be impressed!!!
Gallagher
Wallace McGuigan
Subs - Newton, Smith, Collins, Davidson, Dunsmore

🤣 We can't just keep converting centre mid's to left backs!!

🤣 We can't just keep converting centre mid's to left backs!!

Just looking at DY’s fear/allergy of signing left backs and trying to get into his headspace!!!
Did Penrice get released by Thistle or is he still there???

Gallagher
Wallace McGuigan
Subs - Newton, Smith, Collins, Davidson, Dunsmore

Dunsmore is going to be busy there....