The East Fife Thread

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don't know Alloa fans opinion of him but he was always on a hiding to nothing replacing one of Alloa's most successful ever managers in Hartley.

It was a tough task to take over from Hartley and realisticly the only way was down. That said, Smith inherited a great Alloa team (who had been 4th in the Championship at Christmas) and almost managed to finish in the relegation play-off in May. Needed a very late favour from QoS to avoid that. Even allowing for the expected drop off post Hartley I thought it was a very poor first few months from Smith. 

He managed to retain the majority of the players and made a tremendous signing in Liam Buchanan. Kyle Benedictus on loan did very well too. Other signings not so good, and the failure to get a trustworthy keeper was almost fatal, but 2 great signings in those two. That Alloa team beat Hibs at the Recs, drew 1-1 with Rangers at Alloa and Ibrox, then beat them 3-2 in that famous Challenge Cup semi final. Hearts absolutely robbed us 1-0 at that time too with a late goal when they were hanging on for a 0-0. Amazing days. The flipside was that he couldn't win games in the league! When he left we had managed to even fall behind a rank Cowdenbeath team who lost 10-0 to Hearts. I suspect we'd have gone down under Barry. Danny Lennon came in and kept us up.

Overall Barry gave us some of the greatest days in the history of the club and I'll always be thankful for that. The paradox was a very poor overall record which ultimately saw him walk away. Hard to sum up really. I wish him well.

A fantastic battling performance and a brilliant reward of 3 points, much needed. And well done to Dougie Anderson. Not sure the reasoning behind the team selection tonight but we got the three points. I would imagine Brechin would have felt hard done to by the ref but hey how many times have we came away from New Bayview this season saying that.

I heard that all the prospective people in for the manager's job were at Brechin (dressed in black and yellow suits). Seems like it is to be Barry Smith so let's get behind him and the team next week and turn up at New Bayview in our numbers and get another 3 points.

Well done the Fife.