The East Fife Thread

Agree Greig McDonald will always be a legend for his commitment to the club for all his years but feel he would be a little out his depth just now still needs a little more experiance before coming back

Looks like he's been involved in League 1 and League 2 since he left us so unlikely many will have stronger relevant experience, player knowledge and contacts for the level we're at to be fair. Would take him every day over Courts for this very reason.

Aye you're right it's a shame Guardiola is currently under contract! What / who is your vision? Murray on the job he done at Dumbarton would be a cracking appointment but his efforts at St Mirren then go completely against that. Does that make him a failed manager also?

I would have a player manager perhaps Barry Robson

GN got us relegated and promoted - success or failure?

Can see in the courier that Potter and Burchill are front runners - both failed managers aye?

Robson hasn't held a managerial position so clearly can't be considered a failed manager but by your logic and the way of football he's a failed manager in waiting.

I'm also not a failed manager so put me ahead in the queue of McDonald, Murray, Potter and Burchill :-)

8 hours ago, t2ady said:

GN got us relegated and promoted - success or failure?

Can see in the courier that Potter and Burchill are front runners - both failed managers aye?

Robson hasn't held a managerial position so clearly can't be considered a failed manager but by your logic and the way of football he's a failed manager in waiting.

I'm also not a failed manager so put me ahead in the queue of McDonald, Murray, Potter and Burchill :-)

Wouldn't say Burchill was a failed manager, he won the Challenge cup as our manager and pulled off the great escape to avoid relegation on the last day of the season. Then had a transfer embargo stopping him from signing players in pre season and had to throw a team together a couple of weeks before the season started, he didn't really get a fair go at Livi  with points deductions and a transfer embargo.. May well have kept us up but we'll never know.

I would be happy to have Mark Burchill as Manager along with a few others. I am really concerned with the fact Greig Mcdonald and Tam Courts seem to be the front runners. Nothing against them as they are both really good guys but I worry that they would find it difficult to gain the respect of the players at the Club, especially after the respect they all had for Gary. As an ex-Internationalist, he gained respect quickly for what he had done in the game and the respect increased as they realised how much he was putting into the job, despite being on a part-time contract. He used contacts wisely and managed to bring in some good young players as loan signings and i believe he had already lined up a few players to come in, in January to bolster our small squad. No disrespect to Greig or Tam but their careers will not afford them the same luxury and I would be concerned at thecalibre of player they may be able to attract.

Mark Burchill, Ian Murray, Barry Robson, Barry Smith etc.may all have better contacts to lean on to help steer us away from relegation which would be a disaster for the Club having just managed to escape from League 2. I really hope the Board think long and hard about this decision as it could well shape the future of the club and they must not let their heart rule their head or take the cheapest option. fingers crossed !

I would be happy to have Mark Burchill as Manager along with a few others. I am really concerned with the fact Greig Mcdonald and Tam Courts seem to be the front runners. Nothing against them as they are both really good guys but I worry that they would find it difficult to gain the respect of the players at the Club, especially after the respect they all had for Gary. As an ex-Internationalist, he gained respect quickly for what he had done in the game and the respect increased as they realised how much he was putting into the job, despite being on a part-time contract. He used contacts wisely and managed to bring in some good young players as loan signings and i believe he had already lined up a few players to come in, in January to bolster our small squad. No disrespect to Greig or Tam but their careers will not afford them the same luxury and I would be concerned at thecalibre of player they may be able to attract.

Mark Burchill, Ian Murray, Barry Robson, Barry Smith etc.may all have better contacts to lean on to help steer us away from relegation which would be a disaster for the Club having just managed to escape from League 2. I really hope the Board think long and hard about this decision as it could well shape the future of the club and they must not let their heart rule their head or take the cheapest option. fingers crossed !

After seeing all the names linked to the job Mark Burchill stands out for me he comes across really well and will have loads of contacts at this level.

Thanks, that's exactly my thoughts as well. Fear for the club if we went down that route

Mark Burchill done a fair job with us, kept is up when we looked doomed, won the challenge cup that season too. 

The problem he had the following season was that he had barely any time to put a team together, we had a transfer embargo and he had about 4 weeks to sign an entire squad of players. 

Unfortunately he signed poorly, jobs for the boys comes to mind, quite a few of his signings where appalling, and giving some of those players 2 year contracts was mad. 

Comes across really well, talks a good game and maybe under better circumstances may have done a better job in his 2nd season. 

Nice guy and I'd like to see him given another chance, as long as he doesn't take too many points away from us if he does get the job.

You do realise that they are going to be managing the club right? As such they're playing careers matters for absolutely not.

You have no idea how Barry Robson will be as a manager, Barry Smith is dreadful, Murray was a disaster in his last job and Burchill didn't exactly set the heather alight at Livi did he?

As it is you'd rather have them because they've played for bigger clubs and may have some contacts?! This may absolutely shock and astound you but if he's a Good manager his playing career won't matter for shit, there's plenty of managers throughout history who have succeeded without a glittering career.

You talk fondly about Naysmith and how he immediately had the respect of the players and how he had all these contacts, he took over yous in 8th place and by the end had you marooned in 9th! His playing career and contacts really helped there eh? Maybe if you appoint a manager on there merits of how good a manager they are, then you might not have had the disaster of League two eh?