The East Fife Thread

Everyone deserves a chance mate 100% agree let the past be the past judge them on how they do the now but I also believe there is plenty competition for places this year so he as well as everyone else should have to earn there place 

Does there come a point when P&B posters know better than Gary Naysmith, Barry Smith and Darren Young in understanding the value of players like Pat Slattery?

Personally I don't think so, but it's all about opinions and I think every side needs a Pat Slattery, prepared to sit in and chase every ball for 90+ minutes, basically doing the "graveyard shift".

Ask Gazza, Bazza or Dazza for a more erudite description of the Pat Slattery role, but in the meantime, on behalf of the Bayview Faithful keep doing what you are doing Pat... 

Yes you're correct, it is all about opinions and I've given you mine, you obviously disagree Angus, but I do agree with you on one thing, every team needs a Pat Slattery doing the graveyard shift as you call it, it just so happens that that player is now, quite obviously Kieran Millar!!!

Tell me Angus, if every single one of our squad was 100% fit what would your starting 11 be???

Would Pat be in it???

P&B gives fans the opportunity to express opinions which anyone involved in managing the team almost certainly ignores.

Tactical reasons aside if the manager picks Slattery on Saturday then it means he is doing what is required. Has Slattery been a regular during his time at Bayview by not doing what his manager wants ?

Come on guys, what's all this about Goodfellows "poor kicking"?  In years gone by when I played as a goalkeeper the ball was hoofed up the park and your nearest teammate to where the ball was landing made a challenge for it. Now we are expecting goalkeepers to pinpoint teammates as most of the players on the park congregate on one of the wings just over the halfway line. How many of the worlds great midfielders can achieve this????????

It's great how the P&B regulars on the East Fife threads can always find negatives, even when the team win. :thumbsdown

Pat Slattery is the unsung hero in the team, who puts 100% in every week.  His strengths go unnoticed by the EF P&B experts, who solely base their opinions on base instincts, such as the regular numpty at Bayview who thinks that it is more important to keep a player up the park when the opposition have a corner and we are defending a 1-0 lead with only minutes to go.  It was obviously the correct decision the team took, as we did not lose a goal.  Maybe we would have lost a goal in these last few minutes, if we had taken the advice of the numpty.

Its a team game remember and we need players with different attributes and strengths to make it work.  I wonder if there are stats which show who had the most touches of the ball and involvement during the game?  I bet Pat would be very near the top.

3 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Come on guys, what's all this about Goodfellows "poor kicking"?  In years gone by when I played as a goalkeeper the ball was hoofed up the park and your nearest teammate to where the ball was landing made a challenge for it. Now we are expecting goalkeepers to pinpoint teammates as most of the players on the park congregate on one of the wings just over the halfway line. How many of the worlds great midfielders can achieve this????????

I dont think asking him to keep the ball in play is too much to ask

I have never questioned Slatterys commitment or work rate but this season the amount of times he has given the ball away is not acceptable, as for the numpty who isn't happy with everyone coming back to defend at corners its not just saturday past and not even just late in the game, at stranraer we had everyone back for every corner which mesns if we clear it the ball comes straight back snd btw stranraer left 3 players on the halfway line st esch of our corners

5 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

I dont think asking him to keep the ball in play is too much to ask

I don't think it's simply a case of Goodfellow not being able to keep the ball in play, he, as with Hurst last season and previous goalkeepers, is obviously being told to hit the ball to a certain area of the pitch which is generally alongside the touch line.

I do agree though that I like to see a goalkeeper who can command his 6 yard box which he is where he is lacking a bit. Still a good reflex shot stopper though as was shown last Saturday.

And flyfifer48 probably the only bar you can hit is the Brig Tavern.