The East Fife Thread

The massive positives from today are the 3 points, clean sheet and after failing to do so on five occasions last season defeating Alloa.

Goodfellow had a fantastic point blank save in the first half and it was good seeing him coming of his line to take control and clear with his punch in the 2nd half but his ability in terms of kicking doesn't seem to have improved and he is now starting his 3rd season at Bayview. Of the back four I was really impressed with Dunsmore at right back and thought he had a really good game both defensively and getting forward and could well have been man of the match. Millar was effective again in the middle of he park and Kyle Wilkie was excellent when he came on, the physical side of his game shutting down and tackling is their and with each game he will improve the rythem and quality of passing going forward as he had a couple of passes out to Duggan on the left which didn't find him but I am sure in a few weeks they will. When Kyle is fit I can't see him, Slattery, Millar and Willis all playing in central midfield roles so I would imagine Pat may find himself on the bench as Millar is effective at holding and he and Kyle are far superior at finding a team mate with a pass to feet than Pat. Chris Duggan could well have scored goal of the season in the first half if his close control, flick and volley had went in and his link up play was really good but unfortunately as he showed in both halves when he comes short and lays the ball into the inside right channel for a cross he can't therefore be in the penalty spot/six yard line ready to put the cross in the net. Greg Hurst looks like he knows where the net is although he could have put the game to bed when he the bar but at least EF had a forward player in the box in a shooting position. EF were spoilt with Scott Robinson as when he was fit and playing well he was excellent in just behind the striker and Paul Willis just isn't at that level as player although I thought he done well today and played his part in the goal. All in all the table makes happier reading tonight and EF can go into the Peterhead and Arbroath games over the next week with confidence and have a result to build on.

Great to get off the mark with our first win, that was more important than the performance although that was much better than last week, would like to see linton in for slattery on tuesday and I would like to see kyle wilson given a start through the middle as well and give duggan a rest, we need to see what we will have if duggan is suspended or injured

I really don't like slating our players but I really have to agree, I think Slattery really looks out of his depth in the centre of our midfield, with him and Miller both there we have defensive midfielders but no creativity through the middle, Wilkie should be starting with Miller beside him because frankly I think he's better than Pat!!!

Does there come a point when P&B posters know better than Gary Naysmith, Barry Smith and Darren Young in understanding the value of players like Pat Slattery?

Personally I don't think so, but it's all about opinions and I think every side needs a Pat Slattery, prepared to sit in and chase every ball for 90+ minutes, basically doing the "graveyard shift".

Ask Gazza, Bazza or Dazza for a more erudite description of the Pat Slattery role, but in the meantime, on behalf of the Bayview Faithful keep doing what you are doing Pat... 

SLATTERY Pat 2016-17.jpg

Pat Slattery and Stevie Campbell were absolutely excellent January-April the season EF won league 2 working hard and providing a solid base for Smith, Wilkie, Insall and Fash to go cause serious Damage in the final 3rd. Last season he was hard working and effective in front of the defence winning 2nd balls and being tactically disaplined. Even today in the last 15 minutes he was in front of Docherty at left back providing a shield as Alloa played diagonal balls into Renton but at home with a fully fit squad can Slattery, Millar, Wilkie all play in the centre, well they can if Darren Young picks them and sets his team up in that way but if he decides to play Wilkie and another with Willis and two wide men making a 5 then he will have a choice to make regarding Pat and it's a pleasant change this season with a larger squad that their are options

Pat Slattery and Stevie Campbell were absolutely excellent January-April the season EF won league 2 working hard and providing a solid base for Smith, Wilkie, Insall and Fash to go cause serious Damage in the final 3rd. Last season he was hard working and effective in front of the defence winning 2nd balls and being tactically disaplined. Even today in the last 15 minutes he was in front of Docherty at left back providing a shield as Alloa played diagonal balls into Renton but at home with a fully fit squad can Slattery, Millar, Wilkie all play in the centre, well they can if Darren Young picks them and sets his team up in that way but if he decides to play Wilkie and another with Willis and two wide men making a 5 then he will have a choice to make regarding Pat and it's a pleasant change this season with a larger squad that their are options

I speak as i see things and although pat has been consistent over the last. couple of seasons he has started this season very poorly and constantly gives the ball away, at last we have more options this season and i think we need to use them, no player at any level can rest on past performances,i dont deny he has been good at bayview but ehen a player is out of form he needs replaced and to be honest at stranraer last week he could have been hooked after the first 20 minutes

And your excuse for Willis is? The only thing he can't pass is a mirror. He actually had a decent game yesterday but his passing and decision making still leaves a lot of questions

You must have been at a different East Fife game than me yesterday then! Willis was one of the best players on the park, his passing was brilliant at times. Playing in an advanced midfield role he was chasing down defenders and linking play up with Duggan and the rest of the midfield. He didn't go missing, always made himself available for his team mates and calmly retained the ball when in possession.

During his first spell with us I wasn't the biggest fan of Willis, thought he'd have the odd brilliant game followed by 5 terrible ones where he'd be anonymous.

I think he's improved a lot as a player in the past couple of season and importantly has added consistency to his game.

Willis is one of the worst players I've seen in an East Fife shirt  in recent years but the fact Young brought him back tells you he sees something in him and we have to accept/respect that. He must have improved since he left East Fife.

Hopefully Mr Willis will prove the doubters wrong and go on to have a great season. I'll reserved judgement until I've seen him play a few games though.

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Willis is one of the worst players I've seen in an East Fife shirt  in recent years but the fact Young brought him back tells you he sees something in him and we have to accept/respect that. He must have improved since he left East Fife.

Hopefully Mr Willis will prove the doubters wrong and go on to have a great season. I'll reserved judgement until I've seen him play a few games though.

Smith brought him back before he left did he not ?