Stranraer close-season thread

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently we've offered Frank McKeown a contract. Would he be able to make the step up?

I wonder whether the rumour was that it's a stranraer CB that you're after that through Chinese whispers has turned into mckeown? I say that because mckeown is not championship material. Rumsby on the other hand is!

Lee Mair now appointed as Brian Reids player/assistant manager .

I can only hope he's more interested in this role than he was playing for us last year. I'd recommend playing him as little as possible. He made 13 starts for us, we won 2 of those games (one against Brechin in the cup) and conceded about 45 goals (I believe). Mair was then dropped and told he could stay for another year on reduced terms, took the huff and went to various TV/radio shows/newspapers to state that he'd been forced out the club.

Lee Mair eh? What have you guys done to deserve that? A truly horrific player and a total twerp, expect him to come out in tears to the local paper if he isn't starting every game.

It's a sin we couldn't send one of our good rejects to thank you for wee Stee and Gallagher. Mark Gilhaney's still free I think, he'd be a tremendous signing.

To put it into stats, he played in 15 matches for us (2 cup games during which we only conceded 1 goal) So our league record with him in the team looked like this:

P13

W2

D1

L10

And the most telling stat of them in. In his 13 league games for the club we conceded *drum roll*

43 goals

We conceded 79 goals across all 36 games in the league so his record in 13 highlights his woeful he was.

Is there any previous link between Reid and Mair? Unsure what to think of the appointment. Was hoping it would be a first step into coaching for Tiff. Keep him in the dugout rather than the on the pitch as well.

Lee Mair eh? What have you guys done to deserve that? A truly horrific player and a total twerp,

And the most telling stat of them in. In his 13 league games for the club we conceded *drum roll*

43 goals

We conceded 79 goals across all 36 games in the league so his record in 13 highlights his woeful he was.

Hhm, and they were all down to him, were they ?

His record says something rather different to being a horrific player.

And if the management of a club behave like arses, I've no problem with a player

expressing his views to whoever he wishes.

And if the management of a club behave like arses, I've no problem with a player

Of course it's not all down to him but he did very little to help and in some games threw in the towel before the game was up - completely unacceptable from anyone never mind someone with his experience.

He may well turn out to be an excellent appointment/player for you, we can only pass on his most recent exploits though and they weren't the least bit impressive.

Mark Wilson came to us on the back of an even more impressive career than Mair. Capped for Scotland, former Celtic captain, scored the winner in an Old Firm tie and Champions League experience. Unfortunately that was years ago, and he was fairly dreadful. Mair may have been a good player 10 years ago or so but he's past it.

The stats don't lie. We conceded less goals in the 23 games without him than we did in the 13 with him. Whilst they obviously weren't all his fault, he did play a part in quite a few of him. His 'performance' at home to Livingston was one of the most horrific I've seen in recent years. He completely chucked it.

Would you be fine with him moaning to the press that everyone was against him if he was playing your club captain and one of the best young players you've ever seen at the club ahead of him?

Possibly Mair will respond to his new management challenge, but I can't disagree too much with the report of the other guys on his performances for Sons. Good luck for the season ahead anyway and I hope the new management team works out for you.

The management of the club offered him a good deal. The good deal involved a clause that would mean an automatic extension if he played x amount of games. He was genuinely that horrific that Murray told him he would only play again if he accepted reduced terms for the extension, as quite frankly, he wasn't anywhere near worth it. His fault, not ours. We're well within our rights to stop playing him if it's of benefit to the club.

When he never played again he went running to Peter and Roughie and numerous papers to try and tarnish Murray and the club's reputation. He ended up making himself look like a whining bitch in the process. So much so that the club and Murray didn't even have to release a statement defending themselves.

He also done similar whilst at St Mirren under Danny Lennon.

I genuinely hope Stranraer do well this season, especially now we've bumped Aitken, Gallagher and potentially more players. I would be cautious of Mair however as some of his performances were absolutely woeful and he had the cheek to complain about being 'frozen out'. He may well prove us wrong, time will tell.

Archived