Stranraer close-season thread

Going by your logic, was there a host of clubs clammering for McCall? Clubs appoint who they think fits the bill at any given time, obviously Ayr thought McCall although out of the game the best candidate as Stranraer have done with Brian Reid. Time will tell if either or both have made the right call

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going by your logic, was there a host of clubs clammering for McCall? Clubs appoint who they think fits the bill at any given time, obviously Ayr thought McCall although out of the game the best candidate as Stranraer have done with Brian Reid. Time will tell if either or both have made the right call

Completely different scenarios. It's was the off field activities that led McCall to being out of work and he needed time away from the game to sort stuff out. Reid had a clean record and was on the crest of a wave apparently so why the lack of interest? You are correct in that both of them are gambles and may or may not work out. If they both fulfil their potential McCall is likely to get us up a division whilst Reid will likely get you a lot lower than last seasons efforts. Time will tell and Im sure you won't be slow to remind me if Reid succeeds.

Completely different scenarios. It's was the off field activities that led McCall to being out of work and he needed time away from the game to sort stuff out. Reid had a clean record and was on the crest of a wave apparently so why the lack of interest? You are correct in that both of them are gambles and may or may not work out. If they both fulfil their potential McCall is likely to get us up a division whilst Reid will likely get you a lot lower than last seasons efforts. Time will tell and Im sure you won't be slow to remind me if Reid succeeds.

Reid left Ayr because despite of two promotions they were followed by relegation and despite getting the club to a Semi was not given any more money to spend. He left Ayr and took a job in the Philippines.

I think a few Ayr fans are still bitter about the semi-final and him playing Moffat on the wing most of the season but forget that he achieved more than the majority of Ayr managers and was about 20min away from achieving the same as Daziel with probably 10% of his budget.

Unsure behind the logic of your assumptions here. U suggest McCall will get you promoted whilst also suggesting a manager who got your club promoted twice from this very division is likely to take Stranraer backwards? How so? Of course anything can happen in football and you may be proven correct. But Reid is taking over a club in a healthy position both on and off the field, the conditons are there for him to continue to consolidate us as a competitive club in this division.

McCall maybe can take you up a division for the simple reason you will have one of the biggest budgets in the league and are full time. Stranraer as usual will have one of the smallest budgets.

To say we have over achieved over the last couple years is an understatement and it is fairly likely we will not do as well, but I am certainly willing to give Reid a chance to show what he can do.

I will be very, very surprised if Stranraer finish above Ayr next season. I will also be surprised if Reid keep his job for more than one season.

We finished above the last two seasons, manager played a part, but Ayr also had shite players. How many points were above you this season ?

Unsure behind the logic of your assumptions here. U suggest McCall will get you promoted whilst also suggesting a manager who got your club promoted twice from this very division is likely to take Stranraer backwards? How so? Of course anything can happen in football and you may be proven correct. But Reid is taking over a club in a healthy position both on and off the field, the conditons are there for him to continue to consolidate us as a competitive club in this division.

When Reid took over Ayr we were somewhere between a bottom end first division team and a top team in the second. He had top two budgets in the league to play with and promotion imo wasn't really a massive ask. For Reid to be taken no seriously he needed to keep us in the first. Stranraer have one of the smallest budgets in the league and Aitken did a fantastic job with what he had. Unfortunately a few ofyour players are very good and they will move on. I rate McCall in the same way as Aitken in that they will get a good job done however I can't say the same for Reid.

McCall maybe can take you up a division for the simple reason you will have one of the biggest budgets in the league and are full time. Stranraer as usual will have one of the smallest budgets.

To say we have over achieved over the last couple years is an understatement and it is fairly likely we will not do as well, but I am certainly willing to give Reid a chance to show what he can do.

Couldn't agree more and for the last few years you have been far better run than Ayr.

Reid left Ayr because despite of two promotions they were followed by relegation and despite getting the club to a Semi was not given any more money to spend. He left Ayr and took a job in the Philippines.

I think a few Ayr fans are still bitter about the semi-final and him playing Moffat on the wing most of the season but forget that he achieved more than the majority of Ayr managers and was about 20min away from achieving the same as Daziel with probably 10% of his budget.

My gripe with Reid was nothin to do with cups. At the time Ayr were still a decent club and promotion wasn't a big ask. The first season he made hard work of it despite having a bit of cash and it was obvious there was no long term success coming. Next season Raith were in terrible shape and despite being 5 points ahead of them with only a few games remaining he managed to blow a 2-0 lead at Starks park and we ended up relegated. I'm assuming your experience of following Ayr started around the DL time as not sure why being slightly better than some other dreadful mangers makes Reid a success?

My gripe with Reid was nothin to do with cups. At the time Ayr were still a decent club and promotion wasn't a big ask. The first season he made hard work of it despite having a bit of cash and it was obvious there was no long term success coming. Next season Raith were in terrible shape and despite being 5 points ahead of them with only a few games remaining he managed to blow a 2-0 lead at Starks park and we ended up relegated. I'm assuming your experience of following Ayr started around the DL time as not sure why being slightly better than some other dreadful mangers makes Reid a success?

Ayr were still a decent club ? Promotion wasn't a big ask ? Since Mcleod was sacked, Burley had no money to spend, no knowledge of the Scottish game, Stainrod took us to the brink of relegation to the third and Daziel took us to mediocrity in the first despite spending well in to 6 figures signing international players.

Have the Money, Shanks, Conner/Reilly and Watt eras passed you by? 5 years of playing at the tail end of the third tier of Scottish football, going part time, signing "top junior" players. or the proceeding Roberts era ?

5 years of being nowhere near a promotion, where relegation looked more likely, Reid took us up in his first full season in charge, something Daziel did when we were still full time.

I've been an Ayr fan for over 35 years and I measure success on........well..........success and Reid had 3 successful seasons in 5 years, keeping us in the league in his first year and two promotions. What other Ayr managers would you see as being a success if winning a promotion isn't a suitable success for you?

If Ayr won the play-offs next season, would you see it as a failure on McCalls part because we didn't win the league ? bearing in mind we were 8/10 teams this year, with a full time team.

Reid had more of an impact when he took over and we were safe with a few games to go by making us hard to beat and with a part time team got us promoted, twice. You say he had a bit of cash....he didn't.

Personally I don't care if we win the league to win promotion or win the play-offs next year, the main prize is being promoted.

Reid's face just didn't seem to fit with some Ayr fans. Don't really get it myself. No is arguing he was Mourinho, but he did bring a level of success that was respectable given the resources he had at his disposal.

Ayr were still a decent club ? Promotion wasn't a big ask ? Since Mcleod was sacked, Burley had no money to spend, no knowledge of the Scottish game, Stainrod took us to the brink of relegation to the third and Daziel took us to mediocrity in the first despite spending well in to 6 figures signing international players.

Have the Money, Shanks, Conner/Reilly and Watt eras passed you by? 5 years of playing at the tail end of the third tier of Scottish football, going part time, signing "top junior" players. or the proceeding Roberts era ?

5 years of being nowhere near a promotion, where relegation looked more likely, Reid took us up in his first full season in charge, something Daziel did when we were still full time.

I've been an Ayr fan for over 35 years and I measure success on........well..........success and Reid had 3 successful seasons in 5 years, keeping us in the league in his first year and two promotions. What other Ayr managers would you see as being a success if winning a promotion isn't a suitable success for you?

If Ayr won the play-offs next season, would you see it as a failure on McCalls part because we didn't win the league ? bearing in mind we were 8/10 teams this year, with a full time team.

Reid had more of an impact when he took over and we were safe with a few games to go by making us hard to beat and with a part time team got us promoted, twice. You say he had a bit of cash....he didn't.

Personally I don't care if we win the league to win promotion or win the play-offs next year, the main prize is being promoted.

i agree that from Money's time onwards we had little cash and were forced to play too many junior players. At the start of the first season Reid got promotion two of the directors were speaking in the hospitality suite and mentioned there was proper investment compared to before and that promotion was the aim. Credit to Reid as he got us promoted but he should have gone after the first relegation and given someone else a shot that could finish the job properly. From the managers you mention the only two I think did a job were McLeod and Burley. DL was all about the money and not ability.

As for this season well that depends on what competition the other teams provide. If Dunfermline get there act together we could have stiff competition something Reid never faced in this division. I don't really care about outright win or playoffs but what is also important is that we look like building something sustainable that can be built upon the following year. Reids teams always looked like scraping by and nothing more.

As I said before a lot of our friends from Ayr posting on Stranraer page. Not getting sweaty bums about playing us already?...don't worry you def won't be as bad as last year. But still got to stop wee Malky and Jamie Longworth again, something Ayr struggled to do last year, that is a worry.

As I said before a lot of our friends from Ayr posting on Stranraer page. Not getting sweaty bums about playing us already?...don't worry you def won't be as bad as last year. But still got to stop wee Malky and Jamie Longworth again, something Ayr struggled to do last year, that is a worry.

Of course we are going to post on your thread when our ex manager got the Stranraer job. What a throbber.

Of course we are going to post on your thread when our ex manager got the Stranraer job. What a throbber.

Probably better if you concentrated on where you are now. Toward the end of the season just finished,

I read all the Ayr supporters going on about how Mccall had made the team hard to beat. Then I checked

the points score for the last 6 games up to then.

3 points in 6 games I think it was.

Stranraer fans are probably finding all the reading here heavy going...

Brian Reid was good at assembling a team and making them hard to beat (a bit like Aitken) but quite often he'd have to rebuild in January as he wasn't much of a man manager (unlike Aitken) or a tactician. Play-offs still a realistic aim for Stranraer next season IMO.

2-1, and that's a bit harsh given the fact that he wasn't even on the pitch.

Brian Reid did a very good job at Ayr. Not fantastic, but still very good. Some of the negativity towards him from Ayr fans here has been bizarre to read, he will do a decent job at Stranraer as long as Blues fans keep their expectations realistic.

Archived