Stranraer close-season thread

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he comes to the Sons, any players capable of the step up likely to join him?

Always found Steve Aitken's Stranraer to be greater than the sum of their parts, but I reckon David Mitchell and Grant Gallagher could make the step up into the Championship. Mitchell's always been a pretty handy goalie while Gallagher was one of the best midfielders in the division last term.

Always found Steve Aitken's Stranraer to be greater than the sum of their parts, but I reckon David Mitchell and Grant Gallagher could make the step up into the Championship. Mitchell's always been a pretty handy goalie while Gallagher was one of the best midfielders in the division last term.

McKewon possibly, and the 2 you mentioned. Don't think they 3 are under contract yet?

Think Dumbarton would be a good move. Not dramatically bigger, but in a higher division and a better budget and stabilised in the Chanpionship. A good few years there would put his name about for another step up.

McKewon possibly, and the 2 you mentioned. Don't think they 3 are under contract yet?

Think Dumbarton would be a good move. Not dramatically bigger, but in a higher division and a better budget and stabilised in the Chanpionship. A good few years there would put his name about for another step up.

As much as I rate big Franko, I think League 1 might be his level. He reads the game well and can header bricks for a living but I always got the impression he came up a little short when he turns and has to face his own goal. I think he'd be found wanting in the Championship.

I agree that a move to Dumbarton would be a sensible step for Aitken - I cannot find fault with the points you've made. Two or three years at the Rock, maintaining the same standards as Murray, would surely see him move on to a full-time team.

As solid a defender as Franko is, I think he is found wanting when it comes to pace. In that respect, Scott Rumsby might be the better option in terms of defenders. Agree whole-heartedly on Gallagher though. He's gone from being 'just' a solid tackling midfielder to adding more and more to his game when it comes to going forward. Only now starting to get the credit he really deserves from the Stranraer fans.

Aitken is my choice for new gaffer and I agree with what's said above. We're apparently closer to his home and work so it probably suits Aitken as well. He's got a very tough job on his hands if he does come though. We currently have no players signed and it's widely accepted that a bit of a rebuild is required. We have a few players of the existing squad looking to sign up but holding off until the gaffer is announced, hopefully we can get a new manager in (Aitken, hopefully) and he can get the important guys like Andy Graham and Scott Agnew signed up and build the team around them. Keeper is a problem area for us so bringing Mitchell with him would make sense too.

The departures of Messrs McKinnon and Aitken are worrying news for two of the "club of the season" candidates, but good news for Albion Rovers looking for as much competition as possible in the bottom half of the table.

Sympathy to both clubs, and I hope they can continue what their old bosses started, but something tells me I'd better enjoy it while I can- there's a high chance this will be Darren Young next year.

Mitchell, Gallagher and Rumsby all to follow Aitken to Dumbarton unless they get better moves.

Gibson no doubt move on.

Franko has found his level with Stranraer.

I do hope so, cos we need a keeper, a centre half, a tough tackling midfielder, and if these guys cut the mustard, they'll do for me, what about malcolm? Is he still worth a punt?

Happy with that move if it comes off, was one of my top choices for the job so well pleased

He has done a great job At Stranraer so let's hope he can continue that at the sons!!

Archived