Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

2 hours ago, sophia said:

Perhaps we both have.

I'm too tired to interrogate so I'd just like to congratulate @NotThePars if they found my contribution to be helpful and if not I shall redouble my efforts to improve

Thank you. If you find yourself struggling, I like to set myself some Posting Goals for the month and try to look at posters who are regular Big Hitters for tips and tricks on good posting. You owe it yourself and the forum to always stay improving.

5 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I lived in Hebburn in South Tyneside for a number of years. I was very surprised to find a a Protestant Conservative Club there with some Orange Lodge attached. Just up the road was the Iona Club (the Catholic Club). Never saw or heard a vestige of sectarianism from any of the locals although, I suppose, the founders of these institutions originated from Ireland.

Apparently there was some 12th July celebration, but never heard or witnessed any marches. What I did hear and witness were the Juvenile Jazz Bands processing with their kazoos and making an infernal racket. I think these 'bands' have largely died out as a result of improvements in musical taste; if not, they should have been banned in my opinion.

I have a very good friend from West Belfast who tells me that, prior to 'The Troubles' he and his siblings would be brought to the Lisburn Road to watch the 12th marches, at a time when they could be passed off as colourful folk customs. 

It's almost like Scotland is out of step with other places where catholics and protestants co-exist. It moves me to wonder.... What could we possibly attribute the amplification of hostilities to........

The real victims as always 

THE Grand Secretary of the Orange Order in Northern Ireland has urged Nicola Sturgeon not to introduce a Parades Commission - claiming it would be "biased" against Protestants.

Rev Mervyn Gibson, said the introduction of a commission in the mould of Northern Ireland would result in more “division” and “intolerance”.

He urged SNP ministers “not to dance to the tune of a small number of Roman Catholic protestors who don’t want a Protestant about the place”.

The First Minister said on Thursday that she was considering setting up a Northern-Ireland style commission following 14 arrests at Orange walks last weekend.

James Dornan (below), the SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, raised the issue at FMQsand outlined his case in an article for The National on Sunday.

Speaking at Holyrood, Dornan noted reports of “disgraceful anti-Catholic singing during the Orange Order marches throughout Glasgow” and said at least three had marched past Roman Catholic churches, causing “great distress”.

He asked the First Minister to consider “the creation of a Parades Commission, similar to that in Northern Ireland”.

Set up in 1998, that Parades Commission has the power to cancel, re-route or amend marches, including by barring the playing of music or the banning of certain individuals from attending.

Sturgeon said she has instructed Justice Secretary Keith Brown to assess the merits of the proposal.

But Gibson told the Belfast News Letter a Scottish Commission would be biased and counterproductive, and using hate crime legislation would be fairer.

He said: “We think it would be a bad idea. It sustains division and here it used to reward the threat of violence.

“Parading by-and-large is a cultural activity of the Protestant community, thereby any body created to look at parades by extension has a bias against that community.

“Whereas hate crime legislation applies to all intolerance and bigotry, irrespective of race, creed or gender. We believe there’s enough laws to do with antisocial and hate crime.

“A Parades Commission only introduces another layer of unnecessary and unhelpful bureaucracy that encourages intolerance.”

Writing for The National, Dornan said: “Most of us will remember the annual battles at the Garvaghy Road and other places throughout Northern Ireland, so why don't we see this on our screens every year anymore? Because, not without some initial pain to be sure, they introduced a Parades Commission.

“I'm not saying this is a magic bullet; what I am saying is that it's worth looking at calmly. Moreover, for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would fear it. Let's be clear here, in a democracy, people have the right to assembly and free speech.

“However, places of worship and other important places also have the right to be respected.”

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
There has to be room for compromise. Encourage them to focus more on the “walk” part and less on the “orange” part. 

Money off vouchers for treadmills?

The treadmills could play a selection of their favourite party/march tunes as they use them. 

15 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There has to be room for compromise. Encourage them to focus more on the “walk” part and less on the “orange” part. 

Like this idea. Make them march up a munro and they'll have not have the lungs to indulge the classic songs that go along with them. 

• 3 weeks later...

More importantly the T20 world cup has started

Scotland and Ireland have to fight their way past some other middleweights in the preliminary rounds to get a shot at the big guns but we're off to a good start with a narrow victory against Bangladesh which the BBC had the nerve to describe as a "shock". Papua New Guinea and Oman stand between us and the group stage proper and with the top two going through there may be a margin for error.

Over in the other preliminary group it looks like a good day for green and a bad day for orange as Ireland are making quick work of chasing down the Netherlands 106. With all due respect to Namibia it's Sri Lanka who will be the bigger obstacle for the Irish 

More importantly the T20 world cup has started

Scotland and Ireland have to fight their way past some other middleweights in the preliminary rounds to get a shot at the big guns but we're off to a good start with a narrow victory against Bangladesh which the BBC had the nerve to describe as a "shock". Papua New Guinea and Oman stand between us and the group stage proper and with the top two going through there may be a margin for error.

Over in the other preliminary group it looks like a good day for green and a bad day for orange as Ireland are making quick work of chasing down the Netherlands 106. With all due respect to Namibia it's Sri Lanka who will be the bigger obstacle for the Irish 

I'm not a great expert, but, would Bangladesh not be considered the most difficult opponent for us in the first stage, therefore having beaten them we are looking pretty good for the Super 12 already?

As a wee aside, can someone please explain why the cricket/orange walk thread is one and the same?

3 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I'm not a great expert, but, would Bangladesh not be considered the most difficult opponent for us in the first stage, therefore having beaten them we are looking pretty good for the Super 12 already?

Pretty good but it's not in the bag yet

We should beat Papua New Guinea tomorrow but we play Oman last. We're generally better than Oman but they have home field advantage.

The risk is that we end up with 3 teams having won two games each and go out on run rate 

Scotland win by 18 runs with 3 balls left 

Which was conclusive but not the thumping that Oman dished out to PNG 

Oman play Bangladesh in half an hour. If Oman win that then they and Scotland are through

If Bangladesh win then we will probably need a result against Oman

Unless Bangladesh not only beat Oman but gub them, as then a close defeat against Oman would still see Scotland through

Unsurprisingly Bangladesh trounced PNG so Scotland vs Oman is an eliminator.

It was looking a bit iffy Wickets in the 15th and 16th have strengthened Scotland's hand

Oman are 103/6 with 18 balls to play.

Scotland are probably going to be chasing about 130 to win the group