Manic Street Preachers

AirdrieGuy

Due to the SPFL moving the Ross County v ICT game to Friday night I had to abandon the Glasgow gig and head to Edinburgh instead. Whilst it was good it wasn't a patch on some of the recent MSP gigs at the Barrowlands.

Die In The Summertime and Enola / Alone were my highlights as I don't think I have heard either of those live when I have seen them before. There is simply no finer live song than A Design For Life as far as I am concerned.

Twilight Sad were very enjoyable too.

Due to the SPFL moving the Ross County v ICT game to Friday night I had to abandon the Glasgow gig and head to Edinburgh instead. Whilst it was good it wasn't a patch on some of the recent MSP gigs at the Barrowlands.

Die In The Summertime and Enola / Alone were my highlights as I don't think I have heard either of those live when I have seen them before. There is simply no finer live song than A Design For Life as far as I am concerned.

Twilight Sad were very enjoyable too.

Thats what one of my boy's friends had said , It was stale by his accounts

They tweeted three times about how good Glasgow was and then a simple "Yeah Edinburgh was good too." :lol:

I mind when I saw them in Glasgow last year and they played YSTSFMH and the whole place erupted. I'm sure almost everyone was bouncing up and down. Compare that to Edinburgh the other night and there was a small group near the front going a wee bit tits but that was it.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, have listened to it a number of times and it's pretty decent....not a stand out album but in my view easily breaks into my top 5 out of their 12 albums released (I think it's 12)

There's the usual amount of self-awareness/self-criticism in the lyrics form Nicky, particularly in 'Last Plane To Moscow' ("So you played in Cuba did you like it brother? I bet you felt proud you silly little fucker") while James is once again on top form with the vocals, however the stomp thumping 'Lets Go To War' still shows that the Manics have the anger of their former self's, demanding a revolution against anything and everything. 'Sex, Power, Love and Money' is so far my favorite song although I expect that to change a bit after a few more listens. This of course, wouldn't be a Manics album without some tracks which just leave you thinking......WTF, and the creepy nursery rhyme feel to 'The View From Stow Hill' just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album which carries a heavy 1980's glam rock feel in most tracks. It just felt out of place.

I have always been a big fan of the Manics, got into them with TIMTNTMY and worked backwards, one thing they have always done was to be different from album to album, Everything Must Go shares no more with Generation Terrorists as it does with The Holy Bible. The Manics constantly change their sound and approach and I for one love them for that

Long Live the Wonderful Welsh b*****ds.

Yeah, have listened to it a number of times and it's pretty decent....not a stand out album but in my view easily breaks into my top 5 out of their 12 albums released (I think it's 12)

There's the usual amount of self-awareness/self-criticism in the lyrics form Nicky, particularly in 'Last Plane To Moscow' ("So you played in Cuba did you like it brother? I bet you felt proud you silly little fucker") while James is once again on top form with the vocals, however the stomp thumping 'Lets Go To War' still shows that the Manics have the anger of their former self's, demanding a revolution against anything and everything. 'Sex, Power, Love and Money' is so far my favorite song although I expect that to change a bit after a few more listens. This of course, wouldn't be a Manics album without some tracks which just leave you thinking......WTF, and the creepy nursery rhyme feel to 'The View From Stow Hill' just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album which carries a heavy 1980's glam rock feel in most tracks. It just felt out of place.

I have always been a big fan of the Manics, got into them with TIMTNTMY and worked backwards, one thing they have always done was to be different from album to album, Everything Must Go shares no more with Generation Terrorists as it does with The Holy Bible. The Manics constantly change their sound and approach and I for one love them for that

Long Live the Wonderful Welsh b*****ds.

Been listening to this on repeat for the last day, more or less. It's very, very good. Absolutely adore Black Square, Dreaming a City, Divine Youth (winner of the most un-manics, Manics song?) and Sex, Power, Love and Money (must have the most ridiculously catchy chorus in a long time). I feel that one of the things that really makes this album good is the vastly imporved rythm sections - Moore has always been a good drummer but the metronomic stomping drums on this album are a bit special, and the bass (often quite boring on Manics songs) is brought further up into the mix and allowed to breathe. After playing about with them since Lifeblood, they also seem finally to have worked out how to incorporate keyboards and synths naturally into their songs.

This and Rewind the Film represent a very good couple of years for the Manics, their best sustained period since the late ninties. KYE was ambitious but overwrought, and Lifeblood was a failed experiment in so much as it ended up souding just like them (clearly not the intention at the time) but stripped of all vitality and warmth. SATT was to many a 'return to form' but for me, it, along with Postcards were comfort blankets with lots of B-side filler, the manics retreating into well worn themes and song structures which bookended JFPL, an album viscerally brilliant, but unsustainable obviously, given the absence of it's muse. By going away and doing these two albums, pretty much together, there is a sense of over arching themes, but it's musically that they've really stepped up on these two albums, more confident, more complex - willing to try new things.

That gig at the Barras in April was an absolute stormer, as was the previous one in September and the gig on the Journal For Plague Lovers tour.
As RiG said above, Die in the Summertime and Enola/Alone were my highlights too.

I've still to sit down a give the new album a proper listen yet. Still, I'm loving the really positive press they're getting for it. They really are such a tough, candid and honest band with so much of integrity. They're all fucking heroes to me.

Currently pondering as to whether to do a one man mission to see them at T in the Park on Friday. Last time they played T they were booked in between shite like Kesha and NDubz, which resulted in a god awful crowd. I'm wary that the crowd may not be up to it though this year, despite the fact they're back in the tent. When they headlined the King Tuts tent in 2009 it was phenomenal.

Rumours of a Holy Bible tour later this year for the 20 year anniversary. Also where is Stewarty? He was always a big Manics fan and I haven't seen him post in a while unless he has changed his name.

They said they were interested in doing it, but they're not sure they'd ever want to play an album in full again. So it's still unlikely.

Been listening to this on repeat for the last day, more or less. It's very, very good. Absolutely adore Black Square, Dreaming a City, Divine Youth (winner of the most un-manics, Manics song?) and Sex, Power, Love and Money (must have the most ridiculously catchy chorus in a long time). I feel that one of the things that really makes this album good is the vastly imporved rythm sections - Moore has always been a good drummer but the metronomic stomping drums on this album are a bit special, and the bass (often quite boring on Manics songs) is brought further up into the mix and allowed to breathe. After playing about with them since Lifeblood, they also seem finally to have worked out how to incorporate keyboards and synths naturally into their songs.

This and Rewind the Film represent a very good couple of years for the Manics, their best sustained period since the late ninties. KYE was ambitious but overwrought, and Lifeblood was a failed experiment in so much as it ended up souding just like them (clearly not the intention at the time) but stripped of all vitality and warmth. SATT was to many a 'return to form' but for me, it, along with Postcards were comfort blankets with lots of B-side filler, the manics retreating into well worn themes and song structures which bookended JFPL, an album viscerally brilliant, but unsustainable obviously, given the absence of it's muse. By going away and doing these two albums, pretty much together, there is a sense of over arching themes, but it's musically that they've really stepped up on these two albums, more confident, more complex - willing to try new things.

I'd say Miss Europa Disco Dancer would probably take that one.

I like the new album, as it pretty much compliments Rewind the Film perfectly. That said I'd probably say I'd pick RTF over their new album in terms of listening. Even still, the majority of the new album is excellent listening. Sex, Power, Love and Money, The Next Jet to Leave Moscow, Walk Me To The Bridge and The View From Stow Hill are all brilliant. In terms of guitar, I can't help but go back to the Manics time and time again and think how good James is. Some of the new album is lyrically fantastic too.

As you say, they continue to seem more confident and more complex. I would genuinely go so far as to say they're possibly the most consistent band in British music. The only album I've never really got into is Know Your Enemy, which even still has flashes of genius throughout.

On Friday, I ended up chatting with the Manics with some mates in the pub. Usually chat about music flits between bands but I could happily talk about them for hours on end.

I'd say Miss Europa Disco Dancer would probably take that one.

I like the new album, as it pretty much compliments Rewind the Film perfectly. That said I'd probably say I'd pick RTF over their new album in terms of listening. Even still, the majority of the new album is excellent listening. Sex, Power, Love and Money, The Next Jet to Leave Moscow, Walk Me To The Bridge and The View From Stow Hill are all brilliant. In terms of guitar, I can't help but go back to the Manics time and time again and think how good James is. Some of the new album is lyrically fantastic too.

As you say, they continue to seem more confident and more complex. I would genuinely go so far as to say they're possibly the most consistent band in British music. The only album I've never really got into is Know Your Enemy, which even still has flashes of genius throughout.

On Friday, I ended up chatting with the Manics with some mates in the pub. Usually chat about music flits between bands but I could happily talk about them for hours on end.

I dunno, it still sounded like them, just them trying to pastiche something else.

I love RTF as well, but Futurology shades it for me. It helps that Wire has developed as a musician in the last decade (his bass playing used to be functional at best, and he never got involved with songwriting) and that Bradfield is more willing to contribute lyrics - Moore remains this unknowable brilliant musician at the middle of it all. So the old songwriting duty barriers have dropped and I think there are more ideas, and more craftsmanship about them.

If I had to rank the albums at the minute?

THB

EMG

Futurology

JFPL

RTF

TIMTTMY

KYE

PFAYM

GE

SATT

Lifeblood

GATS

I fucking love GATS! Would easily be in my top 5 Manics albums.

i used to have it, loaned it out somewhere and never saw it again, to this day it's the only Manics album I don't have either as a CD or as a MP3/FLAC file. Tristesse is a good song, the rest of it is just so ordinary and laboured to my ear.

1. The Holy Bible
  2. Everything Must Go
  3. Generation Terrorists
  4. Gold Against The Soul
  5. Futurology
  6. Journal For The Plague Lovers
  7. Send Away The Tigers
  8. Postcards From A Young Man
  9. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
  10. Lifeblood
  11. Rewind The Film
  12. Know Your Enemy

Any time I do this I think the only consistancies are having KYE at the bottom and THB ahead of EMG at the top. Everything else changes in between. Never really got into RWTF. F has really impressed me so far and I can't believe GATS has placed so low on some peoples lists but each to their own.