Manic Street Preachers

AirdrieGuy

7 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Sundays are for blasting the Generation Terrorists album.

Gonna be honest here, like the second Stone Roses album that got slated....Gold Against The Soul, I like it, some incredible tunes on it, unfairly panned in my opinion. 

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Thoughts on new album? Just listened through for the first time. Immediate reaction, meh. 

Edit: most reviews tend to be very favourable. 

Not picked it up yet but I'm seeing them at the Hydro next week. Hopefully the set list isn't overly heavy on the new stuff. I'd found their last few albums okay but nothing more.

10 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Thoughts on new album? Just listened through for the first time. Immediate reaction, meh. 

I'm finding it a bit of a grower, some good hooks but not necessarily any real stand outs. Not meh but not awesome either. Solid. Pretty much what I expected. Everytime they go and do a newish sound, they always course correct after with a very stereotypical Manics album. This is one of those.

Edited by renton

Listened to it twice now and its growing on me. Going to the Hydro next Wed and hoping its predominantly old stuff with a scattering of new songs thrown in.

Played it earlier and my first impression of it is that it's good, but not spectacular, may change my opinion after a few more listens though.

I'm also headed to the Hydro gig, so hopefully the new stuff sounds better live. I'm also looking forward to The Coral as well, never been to see them.

Saw them in Newcastle on Monday night, bit of a disappointing turnout . The Coral were pretty awful, Jim Skelly cocked up lyrics fairly regularly. Good selection of songs mainly from  GT, TIMTTMY and EMG etc and a couple from the new album with is very stereotypical Manics. I enjoyed it. Brief acoustic interlude in the middle, but James Dean Bradfield played the whole set.

A good but not great set last night. Whilst the classics like Motorcycle Emptiness, A Design for Life, You Love Us and You Stole The Sun were great to hear, the new tracks and other tunes that made up the show, whilst performed perfectly fine, just seemed a bit flat.

I never thought I'd hear any tracks from Know Your Enemy again so I was stunned when two were whipped out last night. 4ever Delayed, Slash & Burn and Masses Against The Classes were enjoyable "rarities" but the rest of the show was just lacking any real oomph. Can't imagine many of their new songs featuring in any future tours.

Edited by RiG

45 minutes ago, RiG said:

A good but not great set last night. Whilst the classics like Motorcycle Emptiness, A Design for Life, You Love Us and You Stole The Sun were great to hear, the new tracks and other tunes that made up the show, whilst performed perfectly fine, just seemed a bit flat.

I never thought I'd hear any tracks from Know Your Enemy again so I was stunned when two were whipped out last night. 4ever Delayed, Slash & Burn and Masses Against The Classes were enjoyable "rarities" but the rest of the show was just lacking any real oomph. Can't imagine many of their new songs featuring in any future tours.

I'd agree. While I still enjoyed last night that was probably the least enjoyable Manics concert I've been to.

I hated the new album at first, but despite it eventually growing on me I still think it is one of their weakest to date and hearing them playing the new songs alongside their better and older stuff only served to emphasise that. 

I was pleased they dropped Liverpool Revisited and Show Me The Wonder from the setlist.

I am in the minority and love Lifeblood and was glad they played something from it.