The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

On 26/03/2024 at 15:39, velo army said:

Ach to be honest I shouldn't use the term activist as it's applying a negative value to something that I feel is inherently positive. Activists are those who serve something larger than themselves and promote a cause to help others, generally speaking.

What we have in a lot of movies now (and especially Disney) is a lot of narcissistic self-insertion in the form of the "strong female character" which ironically is nothing of the sort as they have no character and whose behaviour apes the worst of the toxic male archetypes that they tend to disparage. Often the female characters are pretty obnoxious, smug and put down their male counterparts at every opportunity. Rey, to be fair, isn't an example of this, but she doesn't have any development, doesn't earn any powers or skills and exemplifies the "Mary Sue" archetype with sad accuracy. 

A lot of the promotion around the movies especially was overtly identity political. A lot of the chat around the shows too is a big move away from "patriarchal" Star Wars of old and more in the direction of female led stories. This isn't about serving the story, the world or the fans (80% of whom are male) rather than furthering a particular agenda. Disney don't seem to have any self awareness about this and continually churn out the same shite that is designed for a non-existent audience. There's a great middle ground here. You hire actual writers who are competent and ask them to write a female-led Star Wars story. You'd end up with a character (a la Ridley or Sarah Conner) who is enduring and popular because their character goes through a journey and shows vulnerability. What we have is a bunch of writers who hate the source material, dislike the existing fans and are committed to writing stoic female villains and telling us that they're heroes. 

I'm not even that into Star Wars by the way, but I see a thread running through not just Star Wars but other previously beloved stories (James Bond, Indiana Jones for example) being "deconstructed for modern audiences" and I'm finding it all a bit unpleasant.

Don't think Ahsoka resembles that description at all, her sidekick Sabine acts like a brooding selfish brat but she isn't the lead character. Also like Fennec Shand from Boba Fett, and Bo-Katan from Mandalorian. Basically there are good strong female characters as well as the ones you've described, but wouldn't lump them all into the one category.

Andor is up there with some of the best SW content imo, the prison escape is just perfect. 

The best description of the Acolyte I’ve seen is that it’s like Saved by the bell with lightsabers. Some of the dialogue isn’t what you’d expect like “I made Jedi Knight”. I’m persevering though as I think the actual story isn’t too bad 

It's Star Wars , has the dialogue ever been that good? 

This seems like it'll be better than Ahsoka and Obi Wan but not as good as Andor. Quite mad how they seem to nail all the animated content but fluff a lot of the live action 

13 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

It's Star Wars , has the dialogue ever been that good? 

This seems like it'll be better than Ahsoka and Obi Wan but not as good as Andor. Quite mad how they seem to nail all the animated content but fluff a lot of the live action 

The original scripts were apparently terrible. Harrison Ford famously said to George Lucas that people can write this, but not say it (with added swear words). the dialogue was then altered. Fast forward to The Phantom Menace and the dialogue is dreadful. "Younglings" ffs. 

17 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

I actually thought the first two episodes of Acolyte were decent but according to all these youtubers a huge backlash coming from the episode 3 as The force is revealed as female apparently,

Yeah apart from the fact if they did come at her with everything they had, she'd be deid in seconds. I'm intrigued to find the back story of what the Jedi's have done for her to hate them so much though, and the general story seems decent enough.

I'm not that hard to please star wars wise right enough, i was never a fan till the spin offs got me interested in them, then i've watched everything and enjoyed it all, even Boba Fett.

* i say all, the 3 prequel films were shite, so i do apparently have limits.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah apart from the fact if they did come at her with everything they had, she'd be deid in seconds. I'm intrigued to find the back story of what the Jedi's have done for her to hate them so much though, and the general story seems decent enough.

I'm not that hard to please star wars wise right enough, i was never a fan till the spin offs got me interested in them, then i've watched everything and enjoyed it all, even Boba Fett.

* i say all, the 3 prequel films were shite, so i do apparently have limits.

Would she be deid in seconds though, she clearly has force abilities and has been trained by, you have to assume, a sith or darkside user well versed in the force

Be good to see where they take this

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Would she be deid in seconds though, she clearly has force abilities and has been trained by, you have to assume, a sith or darkside user well versed in the force

Be good to see where they take this

She's fighting masters so you'd think so,

Spoiler

the 2nd one took poison because she guilted him into it too, as she wasn't strong enough to get through to him when she first tried. Which also makes you wonder what is on their conscience, something to do with what happened on Mae's home planet when her family were killed.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Watched ep 3

Spoiler

Not as bad as made out online, the idea that the twins were created by the force or A force isnt as bad as made out given anakin was seemingly created by palpatine manipulating the force

The clan being all women and witches again, got to imagine its a part of the nightsisters/witches of dathomir

Apart from not advancing the main story at all, it at least gives the back story as to what happened to the twins 

On 12/06/2024 at 17:17, 54_and_counting said:

Watched ep 3

Hide contents

Not as bad as made out online, the idea that the twins were created by the force or A force isnt as bad as made out given anakin was seemingly created by palpatine manipulating the force

The clan being all women and witches again, got to imagine its a part of the nightsisters/witches of dathomir

Apart from not advancing the main story at all, it at least gives the back story as to what happened to the twins 

Yeah was expecting it to be really shite, but didn't do anything to put me off watching the rest of it.

Spoiler

Obv still more to the back story, with what happened to the coven, the Jedi's probably killed them all to take the twins.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah was expecting it to be really shite, but didn't do anything to put me off watching the rest of it.

Hide contents

Obv still more to the back story, with what happened to the coven, the Jedi's probably killed them all to take the twins.

Spoiler

Surely not given the jedi are pacifists almost, plus most of the coven died in the fire

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:
  Hide contents

Surely not given the jedi are pacifists almost, plus most of the coven died in the fire

Spoiler

They have done something terrible for the Jedi master to willingly take poison, because of the guilt he was carrying, or is it just the very fact them being on the twins home planet to test them and take them away to train them, was the catalyst for what happened to the coven?

Some of this convo is going back a couple of episodes so not sure i needed to stick it in a spoiler, but i once completely spoiled a GoT series for everyone so i'm taking nae chances.😂

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
  Hide contents

They have done something terrible for the Jedi master to willingly take poison, because of the guilt he was carrying, or is it just the very fact them being on the twins home planet to test them and take them away to train them, was the catalyst for what happened to the coven?

Some of this convo is going back a couple of episodes so not sure i needed to stick it in a spoiler, but i once completely spoiled a GoT series for everyone so i'm taking nae chances.😂

Aye might as well use them for another week at least for earlier eps, how did you manage to spoil a full series of GoT lol 

Spoiler

Don't forget the jedi master was only a padwan back on the planet and was easily mind controlled by the witches, cant see him being part of a slaughter

Can see the mother of the twins having something to do with it, im betting she survived and is mae's master/trainer but doesn't want to let on its her as she wants the anger etc to control mae for darkside purposes etc 

13 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Aye might as well use them for another week at least for earlier eps, how did you manage to spoil a full series of GoT lol 

Hide contents

Don't forget the jedi master was only a padwan back on the planet and was easily mind controlled by the witches, cant see him being part of a slaughter

Can see the mother of the twins having something to do with it, im betting she survived and is mae's master/trainer but doesn't want to let on its her as she wants the anger etc to control mae for darkside purposes etc 

It was on another football forum, can't remember exactly the spoiler now, think i casually mentioned someone being killed had shocked me, as he was a big character, and everyone thanked me for ruining it for them, oops.😂

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It was on another football forum, can't remember exactly the spoiler now, think i casually mentioned someone being killed had shocked me, as he was a big character, and everyone thanked me for ruining it for them, oops.😂

Haha bet that went down well, ive genuinely never watched GoT

Read not much happens in this week's episode, mostly just wandering through a jungle, so think i'll let it build up before watching any more, then just binge it. Big question is who is the Sith master behind Mae's mission to assassinate Jedi masters. 

Spoiler

I'm swaying towards Koril.

Qimir is said to be another candidate, saying he disappears when certain things happen so could be the Sith hiding in plain sight, and keeping his true identity a secret. Doing a Clark Kent and Superman. But i'm sticking with Koril.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER