Stranraer V Sons

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't hear too many howls of derision when Nish and Campbell appeared at the start of the second half, the moans only started after Stranraer equalised. Quite simply the guys on the park didn't perform, irrespective of the fact that the substitutions were made far too early.

I had spent the entire first half praising Garry as he was winning a lot in the air and dropping well into midfield to spread play. When I saw that he had gone off I immediately said that I couldn't understand it. The Prunty for Kirkpatrick one was pretty needless imo and cost us the game as we couldn't sub Nish.

Still Muzz has given us so many great results he's entitled to the odd bad one. Quite happy to go out the cups as long as we can stay in the league comfortably. Looking forward to my first ever trip to Brechin next week and Carlisle on Tuesday!

Forgot to commend the Stranraer player on the winner. What a goal! Unbelievable technique.

I didn't hear too many howls of derision when Nish and Campbell appeared at the start of the second half, the moans only started after Stranraer equalised. Quite simply the guys on the park didn't perform, irrespective of the fact that the substitutions were made far too early.

The guys on the park didn't perform but the attitude of treating the game like a pre season friendly ( which we do every year in this shitey wee tournament ) clearly showed in our second half performance. Doing that is not good enough. We've had several friendlies and to have to make that long trip home for the second year in a row after a very similar defeat was hugely disappointing. I havn't felt let down badly by the team very often in the last eighteen months but I did today.

When is a Son's midfield not a midfield? When Chris Turner isn't playing. Let's hope this is not other than a wee temporary niggle.

We coped pretty well last season when Turner was out with Agnew and Kirkpatrick in midfield.

Don't really understand the fuss over this defeat tbh, seemed to me like Murray was experimenting with his starting 11 and subs. Nae big deal.

Anyway, we lost in this identical fixture last season and that turned out to be fine. All the best to Stranraer but can't say I'm concerned, disappointed or even all that bothered about today's defeat. Not to take away from Stranraer who came from a 2 goals down to beat a team in a higher division, nae mean feat.

But aye, chill oot Sons fans. Throwing away a 2 goal lead isn't exactly great but it's hardly cause for concern.

We coped pretty well last season when Turner was out with Agnew and Kirkpatrick in midfield.

Don't really understand the fuss over this defeat tbh, seemed to me like Murray was experimenting with his starting 11 and subs. Nae big deal.

Anyway, we lost in this identical fixture last season and that turned out to be fine. All the best to Stranraer but can't say I'm concerned, disappointed or even all that bothered about today's defeat. Not to take away from Stranraer who came from a 2 goals down to beat a team in a higher division, nae mean feat.

But aye, chill oot Sons fans. Throwing away a 2 goal lead isn't exactly great but it's hardly cause for concern.

A competitive fixture, albeit in the diddy cup, is never the correct time to experiment with the side. I'd suggest the Carlisle game would have perhaps been a more appropriate time for that.

The team looked competent but unspectacular in the first half. The competence was lost in the second half.

Nish was hopeless. Prunty isn't a midfielder. No blame to Campbell who tried his best.

Fleming worked well in the first half with Megginson playing just off him.

Defence looked shaky and slow at times.

Surely the most dreary journey in Scottish fitba'

A competitive fixture, albeit in the diddy cup, is never the correct time to experiment with the side. I'd suggest the Carlisle game would have perhaps been a more appropriate time for that.

Agreed. Murray said he wanted to do well in all the cups. If he wants to treat it as a friendly he should tell us in advance and I could have avoided wasting my time going.

The team looked competent but unspectacular in the first half. The competence was lost in the second half.

Nish was hopeless. Prunty isn't a midfielder. No blame to Campbell who tried his best.

Aye I'd agree with all of the above.

I think the reason we are most peeved with the defeat is the journey. It's a long way there and an even longer way back after a defeat. I've only just got in!

Finally *Cliche arriving alert* the winner was a goal worthy of winning any game, any where. Brilliant finish!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same game as others. Fleming, whilst he did have a very good game, won almost nothing in the air. Nish came on and was excellent before his injury, and won the lion's share of high balls up against big McKeown - far from 'hopeless'.

Congratulations to Stranraer who I hope go far in the competition.

With the injuries we had the manager was left with no choice but to experiment. Taggart at CB might not have worked today but for all we know he could've been a revelation there. Prunty playing in midfield should've been avoided as he's tried that in the past and it hasn't worked but that would be my only criticism.

Out of all the competitive fixtures we will play all season this was the one to experiment in. Nae big deal that we lost, would be nice to go on a wee cup run but it wasn't to be.

You really don't like him do you ?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same game as others. Fleming, whilst he did have a very good game, won almost nothing in the air. Nish came on and was excellent before his injury, and won the lion's share of high balls up against big McKeown - far from 'hopeless'.

Congratulations to Stranraer who I hope go far in the competition.

'Won the lion's share of high balls' - Are you sure? What resulted from them?

Agreed. Murray said he wanted to do well in all the cups. If he wants to treat it as a friendly he should tell us in advance and I could have avoided wasting my time going.

Can understand your frustration from the travelling point of view and I agree on your point.

Personally I avoided it as our record is pretty shite and I wasn't entirely confident of a win. Had a feeling we wouldn't play a full strength team today for some reason. The timing isn't great sandwiched between friendlies and with the opening league cup and league fixtures approaching it makes sense to tinker with the lineup.

If I'm being honest I'm glad we avoided extra time.

'Won the lion's share of high balls' - Are you sure? What resulted from them?

100% sure. Archie Campbell and Mitch Megginson receiving the ball in dangerous positions, Kirkpatrick and Agnew getting the ball in midfield, Van Zanten having a chance on the wing to get a cross in. What happens next is up to them, one player can only do so much.

100% sure. Archie Campbell and Mitch Megginson receiving the ball in dangerous positions, Kirkpatrick and Agnew getting the ball in midfield, Van Zanten having a chance on the wing to get a cross in. What happens next is up to them, one player can only do so much.

Nish won most of the balls that came his way. He also held the ball up and laid it off reasonably well. He should however concentrate more on the game rather than getting needlessly involved with opposition players.

Said it myself during the game that it felt like a pre-season friendly rather than a competitive fixture. I wasn't that fussed about the two subs at half time as I wanted to see Nish and Campbell, but I did find it strange that Fleming was taken off as he had played well in the first half. The Prunty sub was the one that pissed me off as Kirkpatrick was our best player by a country mile and he didn't look injured or that tired. Really did feel like Murray just put him on to give him a run out.

Thought Archie Campbell was great although he maybe should have done better with his one-on-one late in the game. Megginson and Linton had some lovely play down the wing in the first half which was encouraging to see.

All credit goes to Stranraer who fought back well and spared us all from extra time. That third goal was absolutely disgusting and quite rightly sealed our fate. Top class.

Archived