Facts you made up

Mak

John Craven owns Western Europe's largest collection of Victorian/Edwardian saucy postcards. He also has the only known copy in existence of the script for 'Carry On Cottaging', which was based around the antics of the staff of a council run public toilet facility - the project was shelved indefinitely after Bernard Bresslaw accidentally discharged a homemade pipe bomb he had brought into the first group read through, killing 2 members of the production team and gravely injuring Terry Scott.

I recall reading about Terry's injury in the now defunct Nudes of the World, I thought it was a bit iffy at the time, they were obviously covering up the Breslaw pipe bomb incident by saucing up the story by saying Scott was injured in an exotic fruit accident in a soho bordello with a 3' Romany female body builder. I just wish I'd kept the old scrapbook with all my fav star stories from the 70's, it'd be worth a small fortune (67p)?

Grimbo

The 1st ever musical automated waiting system tune was "Do you want to be in my gang" by Gary Glitter but because of his unsavoury kiddy fiddling antics it has been removed from the Guinness Book of Records. There is now just a blank space in the book & readers are asked to fill in what they think it should be, I put Blondie "Hanging on the telephone" but I don't think I'll win any prizes.

Grimbo

If everyone in Scotland blew towards mainland Europe at the same time, our country would end up just off South America and we would automatically be installed as a top 10 Football Nation. (and we'd have proper summers too)

Edited by dee_62

The Roman Emperor Hadrian was known for his keen horticultural tendencies but he was also on the autistic spectrum & plagued with OCD, his most famous construction in Northern Europe is his wall but having seen his original plans it started our just a patio that grew out of control because of his OCD kicking in & the fact he needed to bury his 1st failed attempt at growing rhubarb.

Grimbo

Chris De Burgh wrote his hit song (originally titled) "The Lady is Red" after spending his 1976 summer holiday on the Ayrshire coast.

Coincidentally, suntan lotion was invented in 1977 after numerous complaints on "That's Life" about funny shaped vegetables all drying out during that hot spell the summer before.

ETA Also in 1977, the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations were the first outdoor broadcasts to be televised in fabulous 2D technicolour with actual sound. Previously, all outdoor broadcasts had sound engineers add in "sound" during the edit phase (like coconut shells being hit together for the Grand National or making noises by clasping your hand under your armpit and moving your other arm up and down furiously for the Apollo take offs)

Edited by dee_62

Former Glasgow council leader and provost Pat Lally is addicted to the smell of Glade Plug Ins, in particular the sandalwood & jasmine fragrance, and insists on carrying one with him at all times. Should a power source be unavailable, he has constructed a crude battery driven unit which he keeps in his briefcase.

Chris De Burgh wrote his hit song (originally titled) "The Lady is Red" after spending his 1976 summer holiday on the Ayrshire coast.

Coincidentally, suntan lotion was invented in 1977 after numerous complaints on "That's Life" about funny shaped vegetables all drying out during that hot spell the summer before.

ETA Also in 1977, the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations were the first outdoor broadcasts to be televised in fabulous 2D technicolour with actual sound. Previously, all outdoor broadcasts had sound engineers add in "sound" during the edit phase (like coconut shells being hit together for the Grand National or making noises by clasping your hand under your armpit and moving your other arm up and down furiously for the Apollo take offs)

I can also back up the fact about the sound engineers role pre 77, for my dad was originally commissioned has Red Rum's back hooves in the '77 Grand National, which he won (the horse no my Da). Sadly the upshot of all this was that natural sound took up & lots of good sound engineers sadly fell by the way side, my Da took to the drink & managed to go a whole 6 months pished by folk listening to his own re-run of the '77 National in the pub but then folk got bored of it & the landlord barred him & his coconuts.

He threw them in a skip after that & sobered up, went on to work with Paul McCartney on the failed Wings LP the Aintree Apple album. Which was the closest Macca ever for to Liverpool since 1965, his cousins wedding but he was in disguise.

If only my Da has kept them coconuts, how much would they go for on ebay these days with the Red Rum connection, eh?

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

Mick Ronson has a child when he wasn't fiddling with guitars he was playing with matches but his maw caught him & gave him a leathering which was very legal in the pre-Rantzen days. So he devised the super cool Ronson lighter. He gave 1 to one of the Kray Twins (I can't remember which, they all look the same to me) that way his maw dare not give him a clip round the lugs for fear of retribution from the evil murdering b*****ds.

Grimbo

Former D:Ream singer songwriter Peter Cunnah was jailed last year for planning a complex plot to kill former band mate Professor Brian Cox which he planned to make look like an IRA assassination. The plot was inspired by his jealousy at the fact that no one in the world has heard of Peter Cunnah, but everyone knows Brian Cox used to be in D:Ream.

There were, in fact, three Kray twins. Ronnie, Reggie and Rudolph. Fed up with Rudi's constant crying, when the brothers contracted diphtheria (at aged 3) Ronnie and Reggie (with the help of older brother Charlie and an early prototype Ronson lighter) managed to silence Rudi and make it look like he'd died due to spontaneous combustion.

There was no black ball in the formalised rules of snooker until it was introduced in 1945 as a tribute to the fallen of World War 2.

This is true as until 1983 whenever the black was potted the crowd used to take their hats off as a mark of respect. If a 147 was ever made the ref would recite Churchill's famous speech then shoot any Germans in the crowd.

Somehow this was seen as not politically correct as part of operation covert tuba in '83.

This is true as until 1983 whenever the black was potted the crowd used to take their hats off as a mark of respect. If a 147 was ever made the ref would recite Churchill's famous speech then shoot any Germans in the crowd.

Somehow this was seen as not politically correct as part of operation covert tuba in '83.

The early results of "Covert Tuba" (including the removal of Dads Army from the BBC schedule) went largely unnoticed at the time thanks to Maggie Thatcher's ploy, via CB radio, of encouraging the Argentinians to land on The Falklands, thereby "allowing" Britain to send the task force down to the South Atlantic and ensuring Prince Andrew passed his helicopter test. (Operation Covert Bassoon)