Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

The youngsters on the horizon are Bowat, King, Morrison, Johnston, Doig, Cameron, Barron, Watson, Conway, Doak and Miller.

Aston Villa fans are excited about 18 year old striker Rory Wllson.

Whether or not any of the aforementioned names will break into the senior squad is another matter.

Doak and Conway will probably stay in the senior squad for the upcoming Nations League.

I hope all of the aforementioned players develop next season and a few creative players emerge.

We need to refreshen the squad.

Agreed !

Worth mentioning, since I'm sure there was chat of him on this thread, that Ian Cathro is the new manager of Portuguese top flight club Estoril.

Calvin Ramsey will go on a season long loan to Wigan for next season. A bit of a make or break (no pun intended) season for him I think. He really needs an injury free season of first team football at this stage. Hopefully he gets a bit more luck with injuries than he's had.

On 28/06/2024 at 12:39, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning, since I'm sure there was chat of him on this thread, that Ian Cathro is the new manager of Portuguese top flight club Estoril.

Are you trying to tell me that he didn’t fancy managing Scotland u18s?

Posted (edited)

Lewis Fiorini has left Manchester City and joined League 1 Stockport. Still only 22, hopefully can kick on with a permanent home after lots of loans over the last few seasons (two pretty promising ones in 20/21 and 21/22, followed by a couple of underwhelming ones 22/23, 23/24)

Edited by Christophe

On 03/07/2024 at 07:49, Stellaboz said:

Reckon we'll see any of these lads blooded in during the Nations league?

Doak for sure if he's fit abs possibly Conway, though if Dykes is fit probably not.   Beyond that I don't think many will be involved.  Maybe Barron if he  starts well at Rangers

I can see both Doak and Conway be given a chance but then if Dykes is back he will surely be starting.

Midfield will remain the same.

I'm really hoping for a new emerging CB to be coming through this year though, someone like Bowat. 

51 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I can see both Doak and Conway be given a chance but then if Dykes is back he will surely be starting.

Midfield will remain the same.

I'm really hoping for a new emerging CB to be coming through this year though, someone like Bowat. 

I think the most likely to really emerge as pro players at a decent level are Bowat (21), Liam Morrison (21), Lewis Neilson (21), Chilokoa-Mullen (20) and Leon King (20) in that order. I think an English Championship level CB is the best we can expect this year from any of these guys at this point in their development but I think the first 3 have the potential to be better than that. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be breaking into the Scotland setup for a number of years.

7 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

I think the most likely to really emerge as pro players at a decent level are Bowat (21), Liam Morrison (21), Lewis Neilson (21), Chilokoa-Mullen (20) and Leon King (20) in that order. I think an English Championship level CB is the best we can expect this year from any of these guys at this point in their development but I think the first 3 have the potential to be better than that. Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be breaking into the Scotland setup for a number of years.

Agree to an extend but Neilson won't be breaking through anytime soon if he ever does

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Agree to an extend but Neilson won't be breaking through anytime soon if he ever does

That's interesting, why do you think that? He had a very good season last year - Over 40 appearances and 3500 minutes for Partick Thistle in their playoff push. That's a pretty good grounding for a 15-20 game season in the Scot Prem.

14 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

That's interesting, why do you think that? He had a very good season last year - Over 40 appearances and 3500 minutes for Partick Thistle in their playoff push. That's a pretty good grounding for a 15-20 game season in the Scot Prem.

35 games in the championship doesn't suggest internationalist to me

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

Put it this way - we ended up playing Luke McBeth, a centre mid who had been plying his trade in the juniors, in defence (to good effect, it must be said) rather than Neilson who we instead shunted into midfield where he looked even more of a carthorse. 

That is perhaps being slightly disingenious but on the basis of last season, Neilson is absolutely nowhere near senior international level nor is he ever likely to be. 

Edited by Armand 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Every time I've watched the 21s, the best player bar Doak has been Kieron Bowie.  Obviously league 1 is pish but he should be looking to step up at club level for sure

Edit - I appreciate he's not a CH 

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Every time I've watched the 21s, the best player bar Doak has been Kieron Bowie.  Obviously league 1 is pish but he should be looking to step up at club level for sure

Agreed, that was the glaring omission from his list. Looks to have future.

45 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

35 games in the championship doesn't suggest internationalist to me

I agree - my final line was "Unfortunately I don't think any of them will be breaking into the Scotland setup for a number of years."

42 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Put it this way - we ended up playing Luke McBeth, a centre mid who had been plying his trade in the juniors, in defence (to good effect, it must be said) rather than Neilson who we instead shunted into midfield where he looked even more of a carthorse. 

That is perhaps being slightly disingenious but on the basis of last season, Neilson is absolutely nowhere near senior international level nor is he ever likely to be. 

Thanks, disappointing but good to hear from someone who has actually watched him regularly (i.e. not me!).

2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

He looked decent coming through as a young player at United, tidy on the ball for a big lad that can pass the ball out from the back. However, you were never quite sure what his best position is, is it CM, CDM, CB, RB? Defensively, he has always been suspect though, didn't seem to position himself well enough at times and would get caught out. He couldn't really break into the first 11 mainly cause of deficiencies in his game.

Watching him against United and other teams while playing for Partick showed that he did not progress at all in his development, he was making the same basic mistakes earlier in his career and he hasn't kicked on at all. He needs to vastly improve his game if he ever wants to be an internationalist.