Support Jim Spence

There were posts earlier in the thread suggesting that St Mirren were sounded out about that scenario.

Was this every anything more than some bogeyman tale? I know there are some reasonably clued up St Mirren fans on here, and I've always wondered whether it had anything more to it than the two-plus-two-ery that it seems.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Spence is probably the best journalist at the BBC. He seems like one of the only few that tends not to just focus on the OF and covers local football as well. Granted he's error prone, and likes a waffle but generally he's bang on the money.

Then again, I am comparing him with the likes of Chic Young.

But they do.

“As ..administrators, our primary function was to keep the business going and effect a sale of the Club in order that it could continue, while maximizing the return for the creditors. These objectives were achieved. It will now fall to the liquidators to realise any further potential funds that may go to creditors. We have worked closely with the liquidators over the last few months to ensure an orderly transition.”

"We very much hope the verbal assurances they provided to us - and the public statements made - are adhered to and that the club will therefore be financed and managed with appropriate governance and can go forward in a sustainable manner. We wish the new Rangers Football Club every good fortune."

A statement from the consortium headed by one Walter Ferguson Smith. Perhaps a campaign of harassment and intimidation could be in order here? He's clearly a hate filled bigot with an anti-Sevco agenda.

they need to remember that they are there to cover scottish football and not place themselves at the centre of the story. the rangers debcle has been the low point but the coverage has been bordering on farcical for a while going back to the gordon smith fued with traynor. if there were any editorial or managerial control gordon, spence, traynor, young and cosgrove would have all had their balls kicked at some point in the past year and told to focus on what is going on on the park.

i only ever listen to sportsound when travelling to and from away games by car but the standard of the show has went massively downhill. there have been days when we have been listening for an hour either side of kick off and several spl games were barely mentioned and discussion of actual football is completely missing from the program.

the show could do with a clear out and a fresh focus on covering football all over scotland.

Hold on a minute - you were framing your disagreement in view of the BBC Trust ruling. Everything you've said here is just a subjective judgement. Says who they're just there to cover the football? Do you not think the liquidation of the biggest club in Scotland is something worthy of coverage? Do you not think people are more interested in it than a run-of-the-mill, mid-table 1-1 draw between two teams they're don't support?

What I think this comes down to, ultimately, is that you're singing off the Traynor hymn sheet, i.e. anyone with a dissenting voice of Rangers must be silenced by hook or crook. Poor show.

Hold on a minute - you were framing your disagreement in view of the BBC Trust ruling. Everything you've said here is just a subjective judgement. Says who they're just there to cover the football? Do you not think the liquidation of the biggest club in Scotland is something worthy of coverage? Do you not think people are more interested in it than a run-of-the-mill, mid-table 1-1 draw between two teams they're don't support?

What I think this comes down to, ultimately, is that you're singing off the Traynor hymn sheet, i.e. anyone with a dissenting voice of Rangers must be silenced by hook or crook. Poor show.

i think on a saturday from 1-6 they are on air to cover the games. i'm much more interested in hearing from managers and players of all clubs pre and post match and also match reports than listening to young and gordon waffle on about rangers banning the bbc from ibrox or neil lennon and the sfa.

what we have had over the past couple of years are the same voices making the same uniformed arguments over and over. i do believe that people listening on a saturday are listening for the games, they have plenty of opportunities midweek to cover news stories.

I thought the point Jim Spence wanted to make was that bringing back two board members from the profligate boardroom regime that landed rangers where they are, was (or should have been) a totally uninspiring move. But slipping into the fans vernacular to make his point was destined for controversy before the words left his mouth. If the trust have provided guidance the employees should follow it or they should sort it out with trust. The guys a professional and he should know the boundaries as they stand. I credit him with knowing fine well he just trolled rangers fans live on BBC radio. I doubt very much he is surprised at what he got back in terms of official complaint. If there were threats etc then those people need to take a look at themselves, that's altogether different issue - yet sadly, an equally predictable outcome.

The beeb do have a show where the exception is kind of permitted, it's 'off the ball' and its designed to speak the language of fans and blur the lines as much they can get away with, but it's not a 'proper' sports journalism magazine which should have an editorial stance in line with public service broadcasting.

Put it this way, I think a guy I work with is a prize fanny, but I can't say it in the office. It's true, he is a fanny, everyone knows he is a fanny. He knows he is a bit of fanny but won't admit it to me as he knows what I think. If I call him a fanny, he will raise a grievance. I know therefore not to call him a fanny in front of anyone else as it is career limiting to me. I don't deserve anything more than a ticking off, but I know I'll be getting one.

i think on a saturday from 1-6 they are on air to cover the games. i'm much more interested in hearing from managers and players of all clubs pre and post match and also match reports than listening to young and gordon waffle on about rangers banning the bbc from ibrox or neil lennon and the sfa.

what we have had over the past couple of years are the same voices making the same uniformed arguments over and over. i do believe that people listening on a saturday are listening for the games, they have plenty of opportunities midweek to cover news stories.

You want to hear from managers and players of 'all clubs'? You're talking rubbish. Prior to half an hour ago you didn't give a damn about hearing from Jim McInally after his side's thrilling 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers.

I listened to the BBC every Saturday for several years, on *hundreds* of occasions they cut themselves off discussion to go straight to a manager for a post-match reaction. This happened literally every week.

You are making things up because someone dared mention that people think Rangers are dead.

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?t=974640

Can someone cleverer than ame and with more time on their hands try to compile a definitive list of examples of Anti Rangers bias by the BBC ?

ie the McCoist seen falling from Ibrox thing, Kevin ****Thomson, Weasther girl referring to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull (I know, but thats not what she meant !!!), Jim Spence referring to us as dead etc etc etc.

I think if we had adefinitive list it could help us complain to them. Ie this is not an isolated incident and if the trust could see all of the incidents then they may take a diferent view.
Let us not forget the low camera angles at ibrox with the litter blowing, slo mo captures to make people look evil. You may think this is tinfoil hat stuff but just look again at the editing and photography on the disgrace that was the mark daly "exposé".

:lol::lol::lol:

Does anyone remember the response from BBC Scotland regarding complaints made to BBC Trust?

Here it is, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22951447

"We remain of the opinion that due accuracy was achieved."

It said: "A football club, once incorporated, is indistinguishable in Scots law from its corporate identity.

"If the club was separate it would need its own constitution, committee members, trustees, etc.

"Rangers Football Club does not have that because it is incorporated."

You want to hear from managers and players of 'all clubs'? You're talking rubbish. Prior to half an hour ago you didn't give a damn about hearing from Jim McInally after his side's thrilling 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers.

I listened to the BBC every Saturday for several years, on *hundreds* of occasions they cut themselves off discussion to go straight to a manager for a post-match reaction. This happened literally every week.

You are making things up because someone dared mention that people think Rangers are dead.

they would struggle to get round every ground but all the of the top division plus selected games from the other three should get decent coverage.

have you been listening during the past two or three years? i used to think that they did an excellent job of covering the spl and sfl but it has deteriorated massively.

Thanks to @TaysidePolice for a reassuring call there after an incident earlier today. This is getting out of hand.

Not surprised, a certain section within the Rangers support have for years been trying to whip up hysteria against the BBC. Just look online, they see BBC Scotland as a "enemy" of the club

Archived