Tamdunk

Surprised to not see any topics on this given the popularity of the thick of it. Veep follows Julia Louis Dreyfus as the Vice President of the USA and gives an insight into the murky world of US politics, while being hilarious at the same time. It's actually quite different from the thick of it, which I always felt was a lot more about the media and public image of the MP (and also a vehicle to see them getting a metaphorical beating.) This shows a lot more of the internal power struggles and lobbying side of things. It remains as cynical as ever and the cast give some really great performances. I never liked Seinfeld, but really loved JLD in Curb your enthusiasm. She's great in this too. It's maybe not quite as good as the thick of it (sadly there's no Malcolm Tucker equivalent) but it's still a quality watch. Jonah is a superb character.

Any other fans?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't get a chance to watch season 1 but have been watching season 2 on Sky Atlantic and I think its fantastic. It helps if you know a bit about how US politics works in terms of the terminology but its easy to sit and watch. It moves incredibly quickly and the one-liners are superb and it has a really strong comedic cast too, and I hope that we get another few seasons out of it as it has the potential to be a good long standing show.

• 1 year later...

Dunno if folk are still watching given the age of the thread but all of the latest series is now available on Sky on demand, even though they haven't shown any episodes on Sky Atlantic yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Picked up a NowTV pass to watch Twin Peaks, so between episodes (and to get my money's worth) I've started watching Veep.

Not as good as The Thick Of It but I'm really enjoying it. The start of season three hasn't been great but I'm sticking with it.

The main man:

Kevin+Dunn+Veep.jpg

It's been nowhere near as good as it has was this season although I've absolutely ended myself at two parts in the last two weeks.

Spoiler

Jonah missing the clock and hammering the boy's foot, and watching the showrunner for Dan's show dry heave at Dan and his co-anchor's 'chemisty'.

I'll spoiler it for Yoda, but it genuinely feels like the only way they can match the satire of today's politics is having Jonah run for President and it feels like the show is going that way.

• 1 month later...

Just started watching this. I've enjoyed it, but I don't think it's as good as The Thick of It. Some brilliant one-liners, as you'd expect from Ianucci and Blackwell, but I feel like all the main characters are just a bit too stupid and unlikable. The great thing about TTOI was that you could sympathise with ministers and the staff and, because they were in a pointless department, the incompetence was a bit more believable. 

Saying all that, Trump is in the White house now...

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had watched first series of this when it came out, just rewatched and caught up with it - utterly amazing. The last two series are superb! 

As a side note related  to this picked up series 1 of the Armando Iannuccu show in a charity shop before lockdown, god forgot how surreal and mental it is. Theres some cracking sketches!

3 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Had watched first series of this when it came out, just rewatched and caught up with it - utterly amazing. The last two series are superb! 

As a side note related  to this picked up series 1 of the Armando Iannuccu show in a charity shop before lockdown, god forgot how surreal and mental it is. Theres some cracking sketches!

Hit season 3 today. The episode where Selina is high in the hotel room is so great. The only problem is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is way too charming to be proper convincing as the Hillary-esque arsehole she's supposed to be playing. She's still great though and the cringe comedy is good especially with her team.

24 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Hit season 3 today. The episode where Selina is high in the hotel room is so great. The only problem is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is way too charming to be proper convincing as the Hillary-esque arsehole she's supposed to be playing. She's still great though and the cringe comedy is good especially with her team.

Gies a quick reminder, what happened in S3? I've power watched it this last 3 weeks, including some eps 2 or 3 times! 

Cracking that its mainly written by a Scotsman, you can see it in some of the scenes.

Plus it has Anna Chulmsky from My Girl in it who despite the other characters ridicule, I still think is as fucking gorgeous as I did back in 1992!!

55 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Gies a quick reminder, what happened in S3? I've power watched it this last 3 weeks, including some eps 2 or 3 times! 

Cracking that its mainly written by a Scotsman, you can see it in some of the scenes.

Plus it has Anna Chulmsky from My Girl in it who despite the other characters ridicule, I still think is as fucking gorgeous as I did back in 1992!!

Selina's running for president. And agreed on Chulmsky and Dreyfus.