Prestwick Airport - saved by the Taxpayer

FlyerTon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently they are looking to remove that signage under the state ownership plan.

The quicker that happens, the better.

Should be renamed Robert Burns International.

The quicker that happens, the better.

Should be renamed Robert Burns International.

Good shout.

There's just been some f*cktard on the radio wanting to name it Elvis Presley Airport! FFS

Good shout.

There's just been some f*cktard on the radio wanting to name it Elvis Presley Airport! FFS

Good shout.

Oh dear.

West FM I take it?

If the government thinks it can run Prestwick at a profit why is its long term preference to sell it back into private ownership? We've been told by countless people on here that Royal Mail shouldn't be sold because it's making a profit.

That "Elvis Bar" monstrosity they have in Prestwick is an embarrassment. It might have been the only place in the UK that Elvis visited but who really honestly gives a funk? It was a fecking re-fuelling stop and the c**t didn't even know where he was.

Pure dead brilliant.

Beat me to it. That this truely is an embarrassment of the highest order.

The Elvis thing is probably worse than Scotland's claim of inventing the telephone despite Bell carrying out his work after emigrating to Canada.

That "Elvis Bar" monstrosity they have in Prestwick is an embarrassment. It might have been the only place in the UK that Elvis visited but who really honestly gives a funk? It was a fecking re-fuelling stop and the c**t didn't even know where he was.

Amazing to think of all the records Elvis sold here, he only apparently visited Britain once and that was just because his plane had to re-fuel.

21 number ones in Britain, topping The Beatles 17 no 1's.

Is there really a great demand for an international airport in Ayrshire?

Probably not in itself but imo it should have been developed instead of Glasgow ( Paisley ) Airport.

More room for expansion, better all round year weather and a proper rail link would only take about 30 minutes into Glasgow.

That of course would have been asking the politicians of the day to see the bigger picture and not think within their own wee bubble!

I suppose as things stand with Glasgow being the main airport for the west it's only 10 minutes by taxi from my front door which is, to coin a phrase " pure dead brilliant " :)

Is it actually good for the state to take over the running of airport that's struggling to turn a profit?

Is there really a great demand for an international airport in Ayrshire?

Yes and No. Prestwick is a good airport to have strategically but aside from that passenger operations from Prestwick are more than likely to be limited.

Glasgow and Edinburgh airports are closer to their respective cities and easier to reach for most of the population. Equally both are now fighting for routes and flights between one another and cutting deals to major airlines. Prestwick's bargaining chip of offering a cheap airport for Central Scotland doesn't apply, and now with Ryanair being the only operator they can hold you to ransom "Raise passenger or runway fees and we'll head to Glasgow or Edinburgh". It will need a big effort to raise passenger numbers, and if Ryanair walk....

Probably not in itself but imo it should have been developed instead of Glasgow ( Paisley ) Airport.

More room for expansion, better all round year weather and a proper rail link would only take about 30 minutes into Glasgow.

That of course would have been asking the politicians of the day to see the bigger picture and not think within their own wee bubble!

I suppose as things stand with Glasgow being the main airport for the west it's only 10 minutes by taxi from my front door which is, to coin a phrase " pure dead brilliant " :)

Disagree. Strategically Glasgow Airport had the ace cards in the 90s. Sure it was only 1 runway, but it was on the M8 motorway and was 10 minutes by car from the city.

Up until 1998 I think, the M77 didn't exist and getting to Prestwick involved going through Glasgow past Shawlands, Giffnock, Newton Mearns and onto the A77 deathtrap section which wasn't upgraded to motorway till 2006 or so. Prestwick installing the railway station in the mid 90s helped it massively as it wasn't as accessible as any other airport.

The incredibly tacky strapline and the Elvis nonsense is an embarrassment, but it's the lack of passenger flights that is the problem. Having flights in at all sorts of inconvenient times (i.e. after public traansport has stopped or started) doesn't help either, but the rail link could be the saving grace for the place.

Hopefully the government will get someone in who'll pursue the budget airlines and the holiday firms to increase the number of flights. Edinburgh is sooking up so many of the erstwhile (look it up) flights and (at long last!) has a direct bus link to Glasgow, so is obviously doing something right......although they seem to be powerless to keep the place open during very bad weather.

I say get rid of PIK and downgrade EDI and GLA to only serving their respected cities with private charters and the few busiest routes. Build a massive multi-runway cargo and passenger hub airport somewhere just south of Falkirk and run the planned Edinburgh-Glasgow high speed rail service through it. Come out the airport, jump on the train and your in Glasgow or Edinburgh in 15 minutes. Easy money.

Archived