Red Bull to buy an English club?

lanky_ffc

Regarding the Vfl Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen comparison, would people have as much of a problem if Red Bull started their own club, invested heavily into it and then entered it into the leagues?

Isn't that basically what they did do?

They bought over a small club (SSV Markranstadt) in order to obtain the licenses and stuff like that, but the other team seems to still exist and play in the 6th tier of German football

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't profess to have any knowledge about how they actually went about it in Germany, it was just a thought that came into my head as I typed my post out.

An argument could also be made that some of the clubs that have company names started as works teams that had players from the factories. That might be seen to make them a bit more "legitimate" in the eyes of some.

You can't, or couldn't, have a company name as a club's name in Scotland and play in the SPFL, or previously SFL and maybe the SPL, I don't know if that was ever challenged or if there was ever a written rule against it. Ferranti Thistle were made to change their name upon entering the SFL as far as I'm aware because it was a company name. So I'd be surprised if this would be possible up here.

Regarding the Vfl Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen comparison, would people have as much of a problem if Red Bull started their own club, invested heavily into it and then entered it into the leagues?

I thought 'The Rangers' are a company.... :1eye

Regards the factory teams, most of these teams such as Wolfsburg, Sochaux, Leverkusen, PSV all have historic ties to local companies so it is slightly different from what Red Bull are doing - which is one of the most extreme cases of guerilla marketing around!!

I'm being pedantic but RB Leipzig don't have Red Bull in the name. Sure they are sponsored by Red Bull and have their stadium named after Red Bull but Wolfsburg also have this with VW. If we want to talk marketing then it's no worse than Wolfsburg changing shirt sponsor for a game to promote a new VW product. Germany appears to be the utopia for the AMF brigade yet they've many stadiums that have been rebranded for sponsorship deals (I make it less than five teams in this season's Bundesliga play in a stadium that doesn't have a sponsorship).

Look at Hoffenheim, bankrolled into the Bundesliga and nobody really cares. RB Leipzig are doing the same thing but because they've got a company name attached rather than the name of a millionaire benefactor it's okay.

Edit: I'm coming across like I have issue with Wolfsburg and other German teams for sponsorship and being bankrolled by companies. I've no issue at all, I'm just trying to draw comparisons.

Yeah, they weren't allowed to use Red Bull I think.

Many of the factory teams mentioned - certainly the 3 german examples - are not well liked teams as such. Hoffenheim in particular drew a lot of criticism from within Germany as they rose to the top so I don’t think a difference is being made due to it being Red Bull.

As it happens, i dont really have an issue with it either, I just think that the difference between Red Bull's collection of teams and previous 'factory teams' is that they were all worker's team's to start with. Hoffenheim the only exception. These clubs all had local ties initially (even Hoffenheim) which resulted in a more organic growth of the teams. Red Bull own several football clubs, only one of which could argue a 'local tie'. And even then, they basically just bulldozed their way in and started messing about with the existing club in Salzburg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Red Bull Leipzig have had their club licence, required to play in the German Bundesliga & Bundesliga 2, rejected after winning the 3. Liga this season.

The DFB have stated that the club badge has been altered too much to look like the sponsor, and are suggesting that a club's sponsor needs to be seperate from the club itself in order to meet licensing requirements. They have also pointed out that the entire board, and all management positions, are held by employees of Red Bull.

So as it stands, Red Bull Leipzig won't be able to play in the 2. Bundesliga next season. I expect this one to rumble on a bit.

Red Bull Leipzig have had their club licence, required to play in the German Bundesliga & Bundesliga 2, rejected after winning the 3. Liga this season.

The DFB have stated that the club badge has been altered too much to look like the sponsor, and are suggesting that a club's sponsor needs to be seperate from the club itself in order to meet licensing requirements. They have also pointed out that the entire board, and all management positions, are held by employees of Red Bull.

So as it stands, Red Bull Leipzig won't be able to play in the 2. Bundesliga next season. I expect this one to rumble on a bit.

Leipzig have accepted the demands and have agreed to change their badge and board of directors.

Regards the factory teams, most of these teams such as Wolfsburg, Sochaux, Leverkusen, PSV all have historic ties to local companies so it is slightly different from what Red Bull are doing - which is one of the most extreme cases of guerilla marketing around!!

Guerrilla marketing is supposed to be subtle and low-key. Paying players millions of pounds to get your logo tattooed on their foreheads is not subtle and low-key.

• 1 month later...

What if a company, say Red Bull, bought a club, say Partick Thistle, and changed the name of their product to the club name...........

" Partick Thistle Gives You Bings!"

Unlikely, I concede, but would it get round the rule?

• 2 months later...

I never knew that's what the black binbags were for. I was at the Fortuna Dusseldorf v RB Leipzig game on Sunday there and calmly refused one. The fans didn't start singing until the 10th minute, which I just assumed was normal for some reason. They also had a big flag which said "Bullen sind scheisse das problem ist das system"

Would personally like Red Bull Havant & Waterlooville.

MK Dons or Fleetwood could be a choice. They've had some investment to start them off with a good set up. Red Bull could make an offer to help the respective chairmen retire happily and allow their clubs to reach the next level. Whether the chairmen would do that though is a different story.

Reading might be an option. Got a ring to it too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived