Why England will win Euro 2008 - BBC 2003

jamiefitz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France are a much, much better side than footballs greatest underachievers.

How many knockout games have England won in international tournaments since 2008? Zero? The last time won a knockout game was 2006 - when France reached the final. Unlucky.

I've been very clear as to how France have a better record than England, it's a very easy thing to prove. You said they were better, why didn't they beat them in the Euros? Why didn't they go further than them in the Euros? Why did they lose a friendly at home against them?

France have been better over the past 15 years, the past 10 years, and the evidence that England have been better in the last three years is extremely flimsy. You have a friendly defeat, at home, in addition to reaching the same stage in the Euros. That's literally the best you've got. It says it all.

:thumsup2

What ridiculous opinions? I have been incredibly clear why France have a significantly better record in the last 15 years to England.

Within the current campaign France finished below, um, worlds best ever international side Spain. How disgraceful! Meanwhile in the play offs they defeated a team England failed to beat within this campaign.

In the mean time England were losing at home to a nation they are almost three times the size of and getting laughed off the pitch by Germanys B team.

But don't worry, this can only get better for me, you do seem like the kind of poster who will dig and dig so please continue :lol:

That's the gist of it yes. I don't think England are particularly good, but I think France are even worse and have been for several years.

Oh my. The same France who won the World Cup in 1998, the Euros in 2000, Confederations cup in 2003 and 2001? Not to mention being runners up in 2006 World Cup?

What ridiculous opinions? I have been incredibly clear why France have a significantly better record in the last 15 years to England.

My argument has never been about the last 15 years, it's about the recent past where France have been dire. Don't let what I've actually said stop you arguing though.

Within the current campaign France finished below, um, worlds best ever international side Spain. How disgraceful! Meanwhile in the play offs they defeated a team England failed to beat within this campaign.

They were only in the Spain's group because their consistently poor performances meant they weren't top seeds. They also didn't get seeded for the play-offs. And we didn't lose to Ukraine, while France did.

In the mean time England were losing at home to a nation they are almost three times the size of and getting laughed off the pitch by Germanys B team.

I'm not surpised that Chile beat our reserves, and I'm also not surprised that Germany are significantly better than us.

Oh my. The same France who won the World Cup in 1998, the Euros in 2000, Confederations cup in 2003 and 2001? Not to mention being runners up in 2006 World Cup?

No need to try and jump on a ship that sunk long ago. Siding with Supras can only be described as utterly idiotic.

The same France that has scraped through play-offs to reach the last 2 World Cups, that finished below England in the groups at the last Euros, that finished bottom of the group in the last World Cup, that finished bottom of their group at the Euros before that, and have managed 1 win in their last 3 tournaments put together.

A bit selective though Linkin, given he is talking about the present and 'several years' prior - in 2008 they were bottom of their group with 1 point (although admittedly it was a tough group), in 2010 they were bottom of an easy group with 1 point, they also failed in 2010 to overcome Serbia in their qualifying group and struggled to overcome the good part of Ireland in a playoff and in 2012 they finished 2nd in England's group behind England.

A bit selective though Linkin, given he is talking about the present and 'several years' prior - in 2008 they were bottom of their group with 1 point (although admittedly it was a tough group), in 2010 they were bottom of an easy group with 1 point, they also failed in 2010 to overcome Serbia in their qualifying group and struggled to overcome the good part of Ireland in a playoff and in 2012 they finished 2nd in England's group behind England.

I saw something in the thread about a 15 year period as well. To suggest England are better than France over the last 15 years is laughable.

No need to try and jump on a ship that sunk long ago. Siding with Supras can only be described as utterly idiotic.

It's less of a Supras argument, more of a factual one: France's honours in the game absolutely eclipse those of England's. That there are still England fans trying to categorise themselves on a similar platform with such accomplished nations as France is just cringeworthy.

I saw something in the thread about a 15 year period as well. To suggest England are better than France over the last 15 years is laughable.

That was just Supras shifting the goalposts. I wouldn't even try to argue that we've achieved more than them in the last 15 years. My point has always been that in recent years they've been absolutely awful, and demonstrably worse than England.

Archived